Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Starving?  (Read 660 times)

van

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Starving?
« on: December 25, 2008, 11:21:43 pm »

My guys have a brown arrow pointing down blinking on their body/tile (I use MayDay's tile set) does this mean their starving? which seems strange because I brought 100 food and its only the 1st year...is it because I'm doing  a human fort?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Starving?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2008, 11:29:30 pm »

It means they're hungry, which isn't as bad as starving.

The most likely situation is that they're on the way to the food stockpile right now. If they're just standing around, check if the food stockpile is blocked by something, such as a solid part of a workshop.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2008, 11:30:24 pm »

Make sure you HAVE food.

Because 100 food doesn't seem to last a whole year for me.

van

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2008, 11:45:00 pm »

yeah, they appear to be hungry, and a weaver who went fay decided to stand on a table for a month, without telling me anything, and then proceeded to go insane and get picked to death by my miners...and I have set a few people to fishing, set a guy to hunting, got a farm somewhat set up...its a bit of a bump in the road for my kingdom/castle megaproject but hopefully I'll get over it.

TettyNullus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2008, 11:55:22 pm »

Make sure food's not forbiddened, make sure dwarves can gather food in the [o ] menu, it's under f, and make sure it's accessible, no locked doors to it

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2008, 12:30:27 am »

yeah, they appear to be hungry, and a weaver who went fay decided to stand on a table for a month, without telling me anything, and then proceeded to go insane and get picked to death by my miners...and I have set a few people to fishing, set a guy to hunting, got a farm somewhat set up...its a bit of a bump in the road for my kingdom/castle megaproject but hopefully I'll get over it.
They only tell you what they want when they take a workshop. Next time something like this happens, look at his skills and build each workshop that correlates with the skill. If that fails, build a craftsdwarfs shop.

You have to process raw fish before they are eaten.

Get more. Anyone not doing anything, set them to either farming or hunting. Dooo iiiit.

[/friendlytips]. >_>

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2008, 06:45:42 am »

Yes, setting people to fish or hunt is a fine way of reducing demand on food supplies. Send them out to hunt and be savaged by wildlife.
Cougars and camels and other savage predators.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

GenericOverusedName

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2008, 09:16:45 am »

Remember, the carp are delicious and nutritious! Especially after consuming half the fortress...

If you're going to hunt/fish, make sure you have a respective butcher or fishery. If things get really bad, you can slaughter some livestock via the Z menu.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2008, 12:24:00 pm »

Livestock is a very good way of dealing with a food crisis. Set up cage traps, buy a few cows and muskox, and then keep the baby ones in a cage while the adults wander. If you run low on food, slaughter a few.
Works brilliantly with cats.

And you get leather, bone, and skulls to sell to traders for more seeds, too.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2008, 01:33:53 pm »

Make sure you HAVE food.

Because 100 food doesn't seem to last a whole year for me.

Yeah, this would be the first thing to check.  Hit 'z' to take a look at your food stores...you probably already know that but I'm not sure what level of newbie-ism you're at so just being safe. :)

Keep in mind you can also cook seeds in an emergency, (I never grow plump helmets but I usually embark with about 20 of the spawn, at 1 point it's the cheapest food possible)  and after an animal is butcherd you can render the fat into tallow and make biscuits with that as well.