Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I get bins to store same type?+ Do rocks get in the way of designatedSPs?  (Read 2598 times)

firefly28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hi,

I have been doing a fair bit of wiki reading and have loads of ideas , Im thinking of getting an automated supply chain on the go , I have read about the take from restrictions and think I undestand.

Anyway I was wandering lets say I make a 6 by 6 gems stockpile , I then make 6 bins
Also assume there is a furiniture stockpile full of stuff
Assume I have 6 bins

I decide I want all my bins to be used on the gems stockpile and fill them just with gems, then later I may want to fill other bins with only a certain brand of stock , how would I go about doing that its just I read bins were mixed, is it even possible.

My final question , I will do a diagram for
Code: [Select]
# = Walls
R = Rocks
S = Some stockpile
D = door

#########
#RRRRRRRR #
#RRRRRRRR D
#RRRRRRRR #
#RRRRRRRR #
#RRRRRRRR #
###D#####

As we can see the room is full of rocks say I designated a ammo or gems stockpile there would the rocks take up the space and have to be moved?

Thanks again

Thndr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You can reserve bins, but it reserves that many at one time. So if you have 6x6 stockpile, and then you have 6 reserved, once one is, used, you have another one reserved. It's not really worth it at the beginning to reserve bins as they just use them whenever needed.

Make gem stockpiles that specify a specific gem to be stocked in it only. This makes it not stock mixed gems.

sbr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You can reserve bins, but it reserves that many at one time. So if you have 6x6 stockpile, and then you have 6 reserved, once one is, used, you have another one reserved. It's not really worth it at the beginning to reserve bins as they just use them whenever needed.

Make gem stockpiles that specify a specific gem to be stocked in it only. This makes it not stock mixed gems.

There is no reason to reserve bins, reserving them just keeps them out of stockpiles.  Currently bins have no other use than consolidating stockpiles.  It is a good idea to reserve barrels though, so you have some for brewing booze.

firefly28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks alot this all really helps, I have future plans for a supply chain so my final issue is in regards to the take from command, tell me if this would work in theory

heres what I have done: refuse pile one(stockpile) takes default refuse,
refuse pile 2(stockpile) is set to only hold bones and shells,
I then did take from stockpile 1, will that therefore only take bones and shells only from stockpile1 and put it on stockpile 2 (The reason being because stockpile 2 is set to bones and shells only) ?

Thndr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks alot this all really helps, I have future plans for a supply chain so my final issue is in regards to the take from command, tell me if this would work in theory

I then did take from stockpile 1, will that therefore only take bones and shells only from stockpile1 and put it on stockpile 2 (The reason being because stockpile 2 is set to bones and shells only) ?
Yes, it's one of the best ways to have a huge stockpile of bones shells and skulls without all the other refuse causing a stink with the miasma. It's how I prefer to do it and keep my bonecarving materials close to my craftsdwarf workshops.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile

What'll also work is setting the first stockpile to take all refuse except bones and shells. I find it less fiddly to set up than a 'take from' system, and the bones and shells might as well go straight to the pile you want.

Where are you getting your bones from? If it's anything but small fish, then you'll need to do something with the skulls you'll be generating.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

firefly28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks glad to know Im finally comming up with some semi feasible ideas :) , also yes my bones are not from fish, they are skulls and such , usually from dead people/dwarfs/animals (I think) , so will I need to do something extra from whats been mentioned also Im going to start a new fortress again , I plan much more but this will show the first things I will build:

# = Walls
RS = Refuse Stockpile
FS = Food Stockpile
FRS = Furniture Stockpile
WS = Wood Stockpile
FGS = Finished good Stockpile
AS = Ammo stockpile
GS = Gems Stockpile
CBS = Custom Bones and such stockpiles in this area
F = Farm
B = Brewery
Brk = Barracks
C = Carpenters workshop
CD = CraftDwarfs workshop
M = Masons Workshop
Bwr =Bowyer Workshop
Jwr = Jewlers Workshop
~ = Outside

Btw I havent done entrances so just assume there are entrances

Floor 0 Diagram

~~~RS~~~~~
##################  ########################
#Bwr   #CBS########## #####Frm#################
#As #Brk############  #####Fs #Bwr #############

Floor -1 Diagram[

#4*C ###4*CD ##3*Jwr#  ########################
#FRS ###FGS ###GS  ##  ########################
###########################################
###########################################

]

The above is what I plan to do straight away, I also plan masons workshop but just away to check which stockpile he uses? Do you thing the above is a good start to get the tower of the ground? My plan is to get this all done asap and that way I can start making more  complex things

BTW putting the above in code tags messes up the formatting

I also hope people don't mind me asking so much questuions but I just really enjoy learning about DF.

In regards to finding a starting location, should I always put a river in the search(an above ground one) its just on my last map I had a great hilly location which had flux and also trees but It had liek a brook now a river and I for some time had trouble finding a suitable indoor farming location, also what rocks do people usually want at the start? Also I want to make a furnace later so I can make metal and stuff but that wont be until a bit later, I basically want to be as self sufficiant as possible so best area/things with that in mind?

I am also trying to get a good starting loadout which is differant from the tuts so I took 1 axe away leaving 1 but then only took 2 dogs and 2 cats, I took pig tail seeds (Those grow food right?) What else should I take ? (Just looking for alternate loadouts

Im also away to follow the wiki tutorial to see if that gives me some more ideas so I know differant ways as well as the vid tut, which tuts would you reccomend?

hehe just been reading more I have taken some copper nuggets, charcol and I am going to build a smelter then a forge the first chance I get(I have bitmius coal as well) This will really make things fun, I also want to get a handle on irragation as well but one step at a time :) I have read the wiki for both things so hoping I will be okay
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 12:42:26 pm by firefly28 »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks glad to know Im finally comming up with some semi feasible ideas
The more you play, the easier it gets. :)

also yes my bones are not from fish, they are skulls and such
Skulls in DF are a whole different thing to bones. Bones get used for crafts, bolts, weapons, and armour. Skulls are used only for totems, which are useful only as trade goods and as training for your bone carver. Or did you mean 'there are skulls'? You typing is kind of random. :-\

In regards to finding a starting location, should I always put a river in the search(an above ground one) its just on my last map I had a great hilly location which had flux and also trees but It had liek a brook now a river and I for some time had trouble finding a suitable indoor farming location, also what rocks do people usually want at the start? Also I want to make a furnace later so I can make metal and stuff but that wont be until a bit later, I basically want to be as self sufficiant as possible so best area/things with that in mind?
You can use a brook as a water source just fine, and most local areas will have at least a brook on them somewhere. I'm on a site that's got a river and trees and flux and several soil layers to farm in, but it's mostly flat and the most dangerous creatures you'll find are fire imps and large herbivores. I can upload it anyway if you like.

Indoor farming can't be done in a mountainous area without irrigation, but anywhere else you should be able to dig into the ground and grow stuff right on the floor. If I knew exactly what problems you were having, I could give a better answer. Also, the vanilla game won't let you embark on a site that's all mountain.  I think you should always have soil tiles somewhere, even if they're jammed into the corner of the map half a dozen region tiles away from where you started.

What rocks? Well, there are the flux stones for a start, especially dolomite and limestone. Those two are sedimentary, so have plenty of iron and coal for steelmaking. Magma is... not a rock, but without it you'll be using up a lot of fuel for your metalworking. Magma also gives you obsidian, which can be used for short swords of the same quality as steel.

I am also trying to get a good starting loadout which is differant from the tuts so I took 1 axe away leaving 1 but then only took 2 dogs and 2 cats, I took pig tail seeds (Those grow food right?) What else should I take ? (Just looking for alternate loadouts
Skipping the anvil is a popular option, as traders often bring them during the first year anyway*. I usually bring a couple of dogs, a load of wood, a little of each cheap meat, some turtles and fish and thread and cut gems (just in case), and whatever I need for the map (bauxite for magma, lye for sand, stuff like that). Spend all your starting points; you don't get anything for leaving them unspent.

(*If they don't, you'll have to request one for next year and make sure you can pay the inflated price. If you get sieged before the traders turn up again, you'll be limited to bone, leather, shell, wood, and obsidian weapons and armour. If.)

Pig tails are edible if you brew them and cook the booze, but that's kind of cheesy. Still, if you need to do it to survive...

Plump helmets: edible raw, brewable.
Pig tails: Can be processed into thread at a Farmer's Workshop. Brewable.
Cave wheat: Can be milled into flour, which is edible when cooked. Brewable. You don't really need to grow cave wheat at all.
Quarry bushes: Can be processed into 5 leaves per plant at a Farmer's Workshop, which requires an empty bag. The leaves must be cooked before they can be eaten. Not brewable. Sweet pods do much the same thing as quarry bushes, but are brewable and provide a higher-value proccessed product. Skip the quarry bushes.
Sweet pods: Can be processed into 5 syrup per plant at a Farmer's Workshop, which requires an empty barrel. The syrup must be cooked before it can be eaten. Brewable.
Dimple cups: Not edible, not brewable. Can be milled into bags of dye. Forget about these.

Just to finish up, masons use rock as a raw material. Make sure your mason's stockpile doesn't accept economic rock. Economic rock is rock that, by default, can't be used for any purpose other than the one(s) listed on the Stone screen. None of those purposes have anything to do with furniture.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

firefly28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey thanks a bunch! Yeah an upload of someone game would be great :)

Im doing better this time in my game, using bins, have a mammoth amount of rooms, I have every non peasant member in a room also the colour of their needs is white which I remember correctly that means they are all satisfied and I have met them. I also assigned a sherrif and build rooms, weapon stands to meet his needs so Im hoping I will get a mayor soon and that I will get more immigrants next year

I have an archery range+ barracks + ammo stockpile + bowyers so Im going to make some bows and when I set up my peasant army I will hope they pick up the made weapons, im not 100% sure about an army right now as i need my peassants for hauling, in saying that I guess I can leave them inactive until need be.

I also have a craftdwarfs,brewer,masons,capenters,jewlers, smelters and forge and have managed to make coper bars, I am also able to make silver as well since I have native silver. 

I have red sand at my location but I really need to get more immigrants and a handle/good production  on things before I take on anymore.

I agree btw my posts are definatly very random where this game is concermed :D Its because it massive in scope and always half way through a post I think "Ow I may as well ask about this and that, which leads onto more lol" However I am getting there now :)

The laison spoke to me last year, I set my priorities , he came back this year and asked the same again, I kind thought he was supposed to bring me the stuff I asked for? (Not a big deal but theres one of those random questions appeared as I was writing this post hehe)

For the most part getting on great now because of folks patience
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 01:32:09 pm by firefly28 »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey thanks a bunch! Yeah an upload of someone game would be great :)
The region folder, and how to find the site (doesn't matter what size it is). The seed in this thread is a lot more interesting, but there's no sand unless you use mods.

I have an archery range+ barracks + ammo stockpile + bowyers so Im going to make some bows and when I set up my peasant army I will hope they pick up the made weapons, im not 100% sure about an army right now as i need my peassants for hauling, in saying that I guess I can leave them inactive until need be.
Recruits won't pick up weapons (and armour) unless you tell them to. Pressing {m}{w} will tell you what weapons and armour everyone is authorised to use. Non-hunter civilians will always start out unarmed, with the exception of miners and woodcutters. Woodcutters will be set to use axes, but gain no military skills from their woodcutting career. Miners will be set to unarmed like everyone else, but will actually use their picks as weapons. This is a good thing, because their skill at mining rock carries over to their skill at mining skulls.

I also have a craftdwarfs,brewer,masons,capenters,jewlers, smelters and forge and have managed to make coper bars, I am also able to make silver as well since I have native silver. 

I have red sand at my location but I really need to get more immigrants and a handle/good production  on things before I take on anymore.
Good stuff. I don't know if you know this already, but the raw glass you can make is usable as a gem.

The laison spoke to me last year, I set my priorities , he came back this year and asked the same again, I kind thought he was supposed to bring me the stuff I asked for?
It should be on the wagons, but it might take a couple of years of good trading for them to bring exactly what you want. Also, requesting heavy items leaves less space for everything else. The traders can only send so many wagons along.

firefly28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks for the uploads :) Also checked that thread you mentioned. I have been enjoying DF alot! Thats why I have taken so long to reply, Im going to have a blast of adventure mode tonight but I think fortress mode will be my favourite by far.

I am just going to check those uploaded files out right now.

I think I have done something wrong as when I try to load that region save I get missing stone gloss litharge
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 01:38:28 pm by firefly28 »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think I have done something wrong as when I try to load that region save I get missing stone gloss litharge
Um...

No, that's me. Sorry. Either I gave you the wrong region folder or I didn't fix the raws properly after I did some modding. This one was generated from a clean install of 40c.

One thing that is on the map but not properly noted is the location of your home civ (it's the blue omega symbol on the top row of the world map). iirc, The Free Glazes is your only source of bauxite for this site. (You can shift magma around using screw pumps, but floodgates are easier to set up and don't need power.)