Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Quick question about tower caps  (Read 1756 times)

it_is_coming

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Quick question about tower caps
« on: December 25, 2008, 04:36:16 pm »

I want to try to make a tower cap farm, but I read somewhere that you need an underground river. Does this mean that it won't work if I just use water from my reservoir? Does an underground body of water have to be present for tower caps to grow?
Imagine the datascape of the future, where digital archaeologists, scouring the uninhabited and long-abandoned corners of the supernet, uncover our creations (save folders) and hopefully the means to appreciate them in our context (a DF installation).

And that ... that is immortality.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Re: Quick question about tower caps
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2008, 04:51:43 pm »

Check out the wiki, it's quite useful.  :) Click!

it_is_coming

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2008, 05:55:17 pm »

I read that article, but I'm on a map with no underground water, and I want to know if I can still grow tower caps.
Imagine the datascape of the future, where digital archaeologists, scouring the uninhabited and long-abandoned corners of the supernet, uncover our creations (save folders) and hopefully the means to appreciate them in our context (a DF installation).

And that ... that is immortality.

Serg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2008, 06:16:16 pm »

No, because when you discover an underground lake/river it 'flips the switch' for tower caps to grow.

sdu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2008, 07:00:04 pm »

Yeah you have to have an underground water source, pool or river, and discover it before you will get tower caps growing.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2008, 07:19:23 pm »

But after you discover the river/pool, any (undergound) muddy tile can grow tower caps, regardless of what water mudied it. (or so i have read)
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Agent Fransis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2008, 04:34:18 am »

But after you discover the river/pool, any (undergound) muddy tile can grow tower caps, regardless of what water mudied it. (or so i have read)
I can confirm that.

TettyNullus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2008, 04:45:03 am »

I can confirm that.

Personally can verify to it also, I've used underground river, and collpased surface brooks and rivers to flood underground for tower-caps. All needed is mud, underground, and finding underground river or pool. They even grows underwater, at least in 3/7 and less flowing water. (ps: make sure you have flood control installed if you tries to use any water sources that constantly flows )

Agent Fransis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2008, 05:16:25 am »

I personally use a sectioned tree farm, each section cut-offable by a raising bridge, and above each I have a hatch (retracting bridge) with water tunnels and additional flow regulation bridges running in a grid above the farms. I suggest using at least 3 tile wide channels for large farms, so irrigation won't take forever. Also, a good idea will be installing in advance a means to shut off the water flow and drain the water from the system, for maintenance (namely tower caps growing in your tubes or corpses falling into them) or expansion.

lucinthus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2008, 05:38:24 pm »

You dont even need to irrigate. if its loamy soil that you can build a farm on just by digging it out, it will grow tower caps. 

toast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2008, 07:46:43 pm »

You dont even need to irrigate. if its loamy soil that you can build a farm on just by digging it out, it will grow tower caps. 

eeee i dont think so. pretty sure thats wrong actually.
-Toast-_

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2008, 08:25:15 pm »

Nope, I've got a fort going right now that has tower-caps growing in unirrigated soil.  They aren't exactly thriving for some reason, but they're there.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

TettyNullus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2008, 11:34:52 pm »

Nope, I've got a fort going right now that has tower-caps growing in unirrigated soil.  They aren't exactly thriving for some reason, but they're there.

Can confirm it's happened to me too, but they rarely lasts long, if at all, mostly due to traffic, I suspect. Looks like it don't sprout up as often on soil as on muddied rocks for some reason.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2008, 11:58:19 pm »

Can confirm it's happened to me too, but they rarely lasts long, if at all, mostly due to traffic, I suspect. Looks like it don't sprout up as often on soil as on muddied rocks for some reason.
I had dug out a large area of soil for an underground tree farm.  They didn't start growing imediately, but eventually they started sprouting at the same rate as the muddied tree farm on the other side of the map.  I think tower cap spawning is related to moisture.  Muddied tiles are, obviously, moist, and would be more likely to grow towercaps.  The soil was under a swamp, so it too would be fairly moist.  It is likely that your soil is not from a moist biome, especially if the above-ground trees are sparse or only lightly wooded.  Moisture is a feature that we know exists but are not sure how it works.  So that is my guess.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

TettyNullus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2008, 05:13:43 pm »

I had dug out a large area of soil for an underground tree farm.  They didn't start growing imediately, but eventually they started sprouting at the same rate as the muddied tree farm on the other side of the map.  I think tower cap spawning is related to moisture.  Muddied tiles are, obviously, moist, and would be more likely to grow towercaps.  The soil was under a swamp, so it too would be fairly moist.  It is likely that your soil is not from a moist biome, especially if the above-ground trees are sparse or only lightly wooded.  Moisture is a feature that we know exists but are not sure how it works.  So that is my guess.

Maybe it works differently underground rather? In most of the areas I've grown treecaps, the tree aboveground was sprouting almost everywhere, and rather thickly too. To the point I had to actually build a roadway to edge so carvans don't get lost  ;D
Pages: [1] 2