Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Fountains  (Read 2506 times)

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
Re: Fountains
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2008, 08:50:59 pm »

What is this "enough" you speak of?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 08:52:32 pm by Dame de la Licorne »
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2008, 08:57:39 pm »

When the tank's full.  Dwarves do not have an automatic shutoff switch, so you have to be careful you don't cause a spill.

This is the leading cause of spontaneous fortress fires.

MaxVance

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Internet User
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2008, 09:13:43 pm »

If you built a fountain you would have to deal with the [RIVERATTACK_CANUSEWELL] (or fountain, were there a new token) creatures. It would be even worse than wells since the fountain would most likely be in your meeting area.

Just like NetHack...

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2008, 09:23:39 pm »

Just like NetHack...

Yes, that's just what DF needs.  Water Nymphs stealing clothing and send your warriors in an aimless frenzy trying to get all their stuff back without breaking that mirror and destroying their luck.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2008, 09:45:15 pm »

Snakes!

Everywhere!

Urist L. Jackson: Enough is enough! I've had it with these MF&*%$ snakes on this MF#@%& Fortress!

Oh man, must have!
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

dwarfed one

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2008, 12:11:00 am »

It is already possible to make something like fountain with U-bend.  We just need new constructible object (like statue) to set direction, constrain speed of flow and produce mist.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2008, 02:32:27 am »

It is already possible to make something like fountain with U-bend.  We just need new constructible object (like statue) to set direction, constrain speed of flow and produce mist.

Yeah, with water pressure it should be possible to get water to burble up out of a 3x3 pipe (surrounded with grates for drainage).  Not sure what kind of mist it would generate, though.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2008, 03:04:58 am »

It would probably burble up into the first non-pipe tile, and then outward, flooding your dining room. :-\

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2008, 07:30:00 am »

I did make a fountain in my current fortress, by building a well above the cave river source. It sprays mist now and then in the meeting hall, and comforts my dwarves.

But really, good idea, especially if it's possible to hook up other fluids. Magma, beer, and why not acid or venom? or even vomit, if that particular fountain happens to be cursed. At random moments :p.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2008, 08:56:53 am »

While we're on the topic of fountains, one thing I really want is dwarven hygiene. Dwarves should get bad thoughts if they don't have a chance to clean themselves, and you can build all kinds of nice public or private baths. Maybe some Roman-style bathhouses with a warm room, cool room, etc.

Also, don't dwarves poop? For a game that emphasizes the nitty-gritty as much as DF, I'm surprised toilets aren't introduced yet. It would create the need for a plumbing system, properly engineered otherwise poo would end up in the freshwater supply.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2008, 01:31:42 pm »

Also, don't dwarves poop? For a game that emphasizes the nitty-gritty as much as DF, I'm surprised toilets aren't introduced yet. It would create the need for a plumbing system, properly engineered otherwise poo would end up in the freshwater supply.

Because it wouldn't be fun.  It's been addressed several times in dedicated threads and so far no one has mentioned why it would be fun or how to make it fun.  To that I ask, are there any games that already deal with waste in a fun manner?

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2008, 02:15:31 pm »

Because it wouldn't be fun.  It's been addressed several times in dedicated threads and so far no one has mentioned why it would be fun or how to make it fun.  To that I ask, are there any games that already deal with waste in a fun manner?
- Vomit is already in the game, in quantities that put Poltergeist to shame, and it is often named as a vital part of the DF experience.

- Excretions must play a vital role in any kind of fortress trying to approach self-sufficiency. (otherwise, how would you survive a siege? - and I mean a siege, not the tea-visits we get now.)

- Dwarven and animal manure can be gainfully husbanded in an almost zero-nutrient environment (freshly dug rock). It has to find its way to the farm plots, either by keeping the animals on top of them, or as part of the farmer job, with a bucket/wheelbarrow and a shovel.
Alternatively, you can flood the farms grounds with a muddy river, or fertilize it with ashes/potash. Manure, however, is readily available, and doesn't need so much dwarf-power/fuel as the potash option, nor does it require the availability of a suitably placed river.

- Urine has historically been used for tanning and dyeing, jobs already in
the game. It would be very easy to implement an extra requirement or quality-improving option.

- Dealing with the miasme consequently caused by those industries poses another interesting organisational challenge, just like the collection.

- We're suggesting to put those in the game as commodities, not to let insane dwarves smear the walls with it. Also, you can have a [infinite_intestines] tag if you wish.

slMagnvox

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2008, 02:37:50 pm »

oh no.

This was such a nice thread.  Veroule you should've left it buried, look what they've gone and done with it now.

Hah.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2008, 03:39:28 pm »

Bleh, grow up. Faeces are a part of life. Having the luxury to wash them down with drinking water at the push of a button is both an historical and geographical anomaly.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2008, 04:06:20 pm »

Corss section of a fountain instalation:
Code: [Select]
---------
-------~-
-#_f_#-~-
-~-~-~-~-
---~---~-
---~~~~~-
---------
- > wall
_ > floor
# > grate
f > fountain (you could just use a hole in the ground untill statues with an internall pipe system are implemented.)
~ > Watter

That ought to spray up about 1 level then fall back on the floor tiles. Those tiles fill up to 1/7 or maybe 2/7 and the rest spills into the drains below. Just make sure those drains don't overflow and your fountain should work. You might want to add one extra level to the first basin to build up enough pressure for a nice flow. I've used a similar system to build a room around a watterfall and it preformed verry well.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 04:08:06 pm by Virex »
Pages: 1 [2] 3