Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Fountains  (Read 2504 times)

omalley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fountains
« on: December 20, 2006, 08:12:00 pm »

So I was wandering around a bunch of European cities (don't ask) and I noticed that one of the things that I really liked about them was their fountains, so I thought:

Why not put fountains in DF? They would be like statues that you hook up to water (with a channel, I guess) and then they would do a little animation thingy that would look neat and give the dwarves good feelings. And if you built (or more) two next to each other then you could supply water only to one of them and it would be a "super fountain", and so on.

Nothing to major, but it would add a little more variety, since that seems to be one of the themes of this game.

Downside: the canal situation could get icky. But all the more fun, no?

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
Re: Fountains
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2006, 09:32:00 pm »

So basically a statue with a water spout?
Nice. It could give an added happy thought if used in a statue garden, or a bedroom:
"Was soothed by flowing water lately" or
"Enjoyed the sight of flowing water" or if the dwarf likes fountains
"Was entranced by a water fountain"

The fountian should have a direction applied to it; sort of like archery ranges, it must be given a direction to throw it's water. If the space in front of it isn't a channel, the fountain generates a puddle and then a pool of water, which dwarves could slip on and bruise /break limbs. A channel that's in front of the statue would perminately become a pond, as long as the fountain remains.

Masterpeice fountains (has to be masterpeice; exceptional doesn't cut it) could also give a small chance (5%?) to return an insane dwarf* to a sane level, but they'd still have to serve prison time for their actions -- better then another dead dwarf at least. Hell, you could even make steel fountains that spew lava into a pond of lava (the only way to make one) filled with fire snakes ... Now that'd give one hell of a sweet  appearance to the fortress entrance!

Of course, it needs a downside. Like, if the channel that feeds the fountain becomes blood or vomit filled, the fountain will spew blood and vomit -- possibly even miasma as the vomit works its way through the fountain. Obviously, enemies would also be able to come up through the channel.
Dwarves should still prefer to drink from wells though, but the channel that's used as a pond could be drunk from.

... Lol, artifact fountains that dispense liquior.  :D

*berserking /babbling /etc

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

omalley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2006, 10:39:00 pm »

Yeah, when I came up with the idea I had a whole bunch of stuff worked out in my head about fountains that jumped water all over the place, etc. etc. I dunno about the curing an insane dwarf part--that doesn't seem to fit with the rest of DF so much, to me at least--but I definitely was thinking that you could then make lava ones out of steel, and how awesome would that be?

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 11:52:00 pm »

Ooooh. Floodgates disguised as statues /fountains.  :p
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

slMagnvox

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2006, 09:56:00 am »

I want fountains too.

Miners can dig a well, why not have them dig a fountain?  Running channels everywhere is not my idea of a soothing fountain construction project.

Make it a 3x3 building, takes a statue and a block to make and requires Architect to design and Mining to construct.  If destroyed, a channel tile remains, a la wells.

code:

.|S|.
.|~|.
.|||.

Borders look like engraved walls and are passable, Statue top center, and the center is a pleasing reflecting pool.  Assign a cave fish if you like.  Dwarves can drink from a fountain with the same priority as a well and fill buckets for thirsty invalids.

Gentlemen, thats the Fountain I want in my Dwarf Fortress.  Hook it up, Toady.

Krakow Sam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2006, 03:14:00 pm »

I believe some extended Z-axis stuff is in the <ahem> pipeline. Perhaps it could be used to implement some real plumbing for things like fountains.

Lava fountains would be another interesting idea, perhaps used as a source of heat on freezing maps.

Seryntas

• Bay Watcher
  • has created a masterpiece!
    • View Profile
    • RPGWW Forums
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2006, 07:13:00 pm »

Or as a source of death to enemies of dwarvenkind!  I love it.
"Nectar and ambrosia are all the gods are allowed to eat in Greek mythology. In that way they're kind of like pandas. You know, in diet. From there the similarities break down." -my Greek Lit TA

Zengief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2006, 10:07:00 am »

The fountains should create mist, similarly to waterfalls.

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2008, 06:13:58 pm »

I just have to resurrect this old topic.

I really would like to see a fountain building added.  It should be a single tile, and require it be built over a channel just like a well.  I would say use all the same things as a screw pump: a block, a pipe, a corkscrew, and a mechanism.  The creation of the building would use achitecture, and the result would be unwalkable like a statue.

The result of this building would be mist in surrounding areas just like a waterfall.  A dwarf could admire the building as well.  Simple, straightforward, and very dwarflike.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

slMagnvox

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2008, 06:22:29 pm »

No make it 3x3 like my idea.  Heh.  That was a good idea.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2008, 06:26:00 pm »

Perhaps you could expand on it. Make it a pump that pumps upwards so that not only can you later designate it to be a "fountain" but it also has practical purpose such as moving water up a level easily.

Jamuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2008, 06:36:52 pm »

Yeah, that was kind of my thought too.  Just have it spray up mist and it would work great.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2008, 07:44:34 pm »

Have the option to work in statues into the device and I'm satisfied. We need statues of dwarves with beer spouting out of their mouths. :D
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2008, 07:56:20 pm »

Isn't it going the wrong way?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile