Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: v.40d-TWO!  (Read 2359 times)

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
v.40d-TWO!
« on: December 25, 2008, 10:47:36 am »

I haven't been keeping up with the development log too religiously, and suddenly there's a link to Windows and Mac versions of something called .40d2. So far, the only differences I can see are that there's an "About DF" selection on the main menu, and the ingame music continues to play on the menu screen after saving. So, um, what is it, exactly?
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Re: v.40d-TWO!
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2008, 10:52:41 am »

I haven't been keeping up with the development log too religiously, and suddenly there's a link to Windows and Mac versions of something called .40d2. So far, the only differences I can see are that there's an "About DF" selection on the main menu, and the ingame music continues to play on the menu screen after saving. So, um, what is it, exactly?

Check out the devlog:

12/22/2008

"...also got the code for the OpenGL upgrade courtesy of Svein Ove Aas (Baughn) and the Linux port courtesy of Bernard Helyer in the form of Battle Champs, so I focused on that today. The code basically worked when inserted into DF, and on this computer where I've had comparatively few graphics troubles, the post-embark framerate went from 140 to 170. For people having laggy menus, it should be substantially better, assuming you can get it to run -- which is why it's good to test the game in that thread, as well as the new 40d when I put that up (if I go ahead with this, you want to make sure you test it early to give us time with your personal bugs). I'm going to try to get it working on Linux next. I'd like to put up a new 40d for all three platforms at the same time if that's possible."

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2008, 10:56:37 am »

That's a pretty good improvement FPS-wise.
Should help if your desktop commits suicide and you have to use a laptop.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2008, 10:59:23 am »

Yeah, the community is in the debt of Baughn.  :)

Styrre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2008, 11:44:10 am »

Huh. I downloaded it, ran it, no difference to the old 40d, fortress still going along at a leisury 40 fps pace.
Then I decided to upgrade my Radeon drivers: Everything - same save, same fortress, same .ini - is at 4 to 5 fps now, no matter what version. That's.. bad.
The path to my fixed purpose is laid with iron rails, whereon my soul is grooved to run. Over unsounded gorges, through the rifled hearts of mountains, under torrents' beds, unerringly I rush! Naught's an obstacle, naught's an angle to the iron way!

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2008, 11:44:49 am »

I can't find such a link anywhere. Is it just my browser acting up or am I just looking in the wrong places?

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2008, 12:21:09 pm »

Probably browser acting up. Go to the current devlog page and hit ctrl and F5 at the same time.
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2008, 12:23:48 pm »

I see what it was.
I was expecting there to be something on the main page or the Wiki, not the devlog... or rather I'd forgotten that there had been a link in the devlog after reading it. >.>

EDIT: Okay, this is unfortunate. Having extracted and replaced all the relevant DF files-- the same way I have for every new version --I get an error about the main index being missing/corrupted when I try and run DF. It's definitely where it should be but it doesn't seem to work. Same thing happens when I try and run it with Wine on my Ubuntu laptop.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2008, 12:31:49 pm by Oneir »

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress File Depot
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2008, 01:20:40 pm »

EDIT: Okay, this is unfortunate. Having extracted and replaced all the relevant DF files-- the same way I have for every new version --I get an error about the main index being missing/corrupted when I try and run DF. It's definitely where it should be but it doesn't seem to work. Same thing happens when I try and run it with Wine on my Ubuntu laptop.
Overwriting an existing version is asking for trouble, particularly if there are files from the old version which should no longer exist. Extract to a new folder and try that.

Anyway, the proper thread for discussing this .40d-v2 is here:
 http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=28841.0
Tomas asked Dolgan, "What place is this?"
The dwarf puffed on his pipe. "It is a glory hole, laddie. When my people mined this area, we fashioned many such areas."
     - Raymond E. Feist, Magician: Apprentice  (Riftwar Saga)

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2008, 01:20:57 pm »

On Ubuntu, you should try the linux version instead. :P

For the improper configuration error, try following the instructions in http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=28841.msg373330#msg373330 - I think I've got that handled, but I need someone to test it.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2008, 01:24:41 pm »

Wow, I've been following the.. 'port' Baughn made with BChamps, and I was amazed at the improvement, sure, I'm new (1½ months of DFing max), but I wasn't expecting Toady to convert DF into the optimized code this soon :O

Nice one, I salute you both and shall drink in your name tonight!
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2008, 02:08:01 am »

I've always played DF on a lappy, it's perfectly acceptable.

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2008, 02:14:53 am »

Anyway, the proper thread for discussing this .40d-v2 is here:
 http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=28841.0

This bit here was what I think I was looking for.

Oh, and obviously yougiedeggs has substantial amounts of money with which to purchase surplus NASA super-laptops. Either that or he finds 3FPS somehow conducive to running a fort.

Wang Commander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2008, 02:18:34 am »

Oh, and obviously yougiedeggs has substantial amounts of money with which to purchase surplus NASA super-laptops. Either that or he finds 3FPS somehow conducive to running a fort.

I play on an old Pentium M 2ghz and get fine FPS!

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2008, 02:28:00 am »

Ah, but at what population level, with what animals, and in what size a map and with how much liquid being moved about the map? THAT is the question.
Pages: [1] 2