Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Problems trying to grow Sun Berries (Answered)  (Read 954 times)

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Problems trying to grow Sun Berries (Answered)
« on: December 24, 2008, 10:26:39 pm »

As the title says. I bought these seeds off those elves. I have an outdoor plot. I have the seeds in my stockpile so they aren't tasked but it still wont let me select them for growing in any season.. Any ideas why it wont let me?

P.S If those damn elves ripped me off I'm gonna drop my fortress on their asses.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 01:54:27 pm by Immortal »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Problems trying to grow Sun Berries
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008, 11:53:51 pm »

It is my belief that sunberries are a very climate specific type of plant, and so won't be available for growing if that particular climate isn't suitable for them.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2008, 12:13:29 am »

Sun berries only grow in good biomes.
Sliver barbs in evil
Whip vines in savage

They're the only ones that have that kind of strict requirement.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2008, 12:28:42 am »

Nope, that's wrong, i've grown sunberries in perfectly neutral areas before.

Thndr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2008, 12:58:56 am »

What options does it give you? Plump Helmets and others? if so then one of the tiles could be in a Subterranean square.

If it gives you the other outdoor plants, then I'd assume the biome issue the others are talking about

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2008, 01:14:33 am »

Well, that's what the wiki says. And remember that good-evil etc. is alterable post-gen by stuff you do.

And I can't grow whip vine, but can grow sun berry. I think I started with biomes as calm/serene...I've spotted fairies and fluffy wamblers about.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2008, 01:19:50 am »

I've grown sun berries in a biome that was neither good nor evil. The biome restrictions probably just alter where you can *find* the things.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2008, 02:37:19 am »

It's correct about Biome restrictions only effecting where the things can be found. Note also that anything may be farmed on freezing soil regardless of the [NOT_FREEZING] tag.

The only thing I can think of is: Are you sure you bought SEEDS? I've made the mistake before when I tried to plant something only to realise that I didn't actually have the seeds, but the actual plants, and that I was going to have to wait until they were consumed/brewed before I got the seeds.

It also might just be the wrong season for them. I'm note entirely sure about the active season on sunberries.

Another possibility is something wrong with the actual plot. I think there's some bug where if even part of a farm plot has a roof over it the whole plot stops working.

And finally, the real insult-your-intelligence question, maybe you just need to scroll down the list of plantable seeds. They might be on the second page.

Gwythur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2008, 03:02:39 am »

This is actually a long standing bug.  Buying the seeds themselves does not enable planting.  You need to have had in your stocks, either (1) the mature plant (ie, sun berries), or (2) the end product of brewing, threshing, or otherwise processing the plant (ie, sunshine), in order to plant the seeds. 

This has been reported in the bugs forum, and Toady is looking into it.

If you buy either sunshine or sun berries next time the elves come, you will be able to plant the seeds.

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=26809.0

Edit:  Added link to bug forum thread.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 03:18:00 am by Gwythur »

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2008, 01:54:14 pm »

Oh that would make sense. I guess Ill have to wait for those damn elves to come back with some sunshine or the berries themselves.

Thanks everyone.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2008, 02:04:06 pm »

This is actually a long standing bug.  Buying the seeds themselves does not enable planting.  You need to have had in your stocks, either (1) the mature plant (ie, sun berries), or (2) the end product of brewing, threshing, or otherwise processing the plant (ie, sunshine), in order to plant the seeds. 

This has been reported in the bugs forum, and Toady is looking into it.

If you buy either sunshine or sun berries next time the elves come, you will be able to plant the seeds.

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=26809.0

Edit:  Added link to bug forum thread.
This does not, however, work on freezing biomes with magma based heating being used to muddy the farm plots without them freezing.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember