Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I deconstruct a wall pending construction that I messed up placement?  (Read 1341 times)

firefly28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Getting to the point where Im building defenses now however I messed up part of the wall, I know how to remove it when its constructed but how do I remove it when its just set to be constructed?

amade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • amade's illustrations

[q] it, and simply press x.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

firefly28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sorry about this, I have another minor prob which is related, basically a wall wont build on slopes, you know upward/downward triangles, its wierd when I hover over it; it says needs masonary and the masons have no job yet the already built 3/4 of it all but the parts on the slopes, thats why I make the assumption I do, so in places not valid to mine, how do I get rid of those slopes? (btw you initial suggestion worked for getting rid of the non constructed parts :) , I know how to do the rest but having other issues now as mentioned

actually it could be to do with building a wall on open space?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 08:59:53 pm by firefly28 »

amade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • amade's illustrations

Does your masons have access to the walls itself or its building materials? You can build on open space as long as it's adjacent to another construction or terrain. As far as I'm aware you can also build on upward slopes. If you want to remove an upward slope the command is d>z. Sometimes while building a line of walls your masons may block access to the other sections of the walls, so a diagram of where the floors and walls are might be able to help in understanding your situation.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thndr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

With UPSLOPES//RAMPS they already have places to stand, so it could be suspended, but for DOWNSLOPES//RAMPS, they are essentially open spots for that Z level. Which means if the wall on the solid ground is already built, your masons have no way to even reach the wall to build it. You either have to build a floor right next to it or deconstruct the wall next to it.

But UPSLOPES//RAMPS shouldn't cause the construction to be suspended//not happen. I build on them all the time. Of course I usually get rid of the ones next to the walls anyway to prevent security leaks. (With d->z)

Lexender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just to make things clear, walls can only be build from the four directly adjacent directions, and not from the diagonals.

firefly28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks again, all this has been very helpful and my wall is built, I am addicted to DF now, its awesome and those vid tuts along with the masses of input on the forums + wiki has given me a kick start. It a rare case to play a classic of a game so its great to finally find one again.

BTW I think this was my problem:

With UPSLOPES//RAMPS they already have places to stand, so it could be suspended, but for DOWNSLOPES//RAMPS, they are essentially open spots for that Z level. Which means if the wall on the solid ground is already built, your masons have no way to even reach the wall to build it. You either have to build a floor right next to it or deconstruct the wall next to it.

I notice in this tut further on the guy builds floors as well.

Alot of you have been telling me how bad elfs are so I did a crazy thing last night! basically a trader came and I wasnt thinking and sold them stuff with tree in them so they refused to trade at all, It would be good to be able to just display stuff that the trader is happy to buy and wont upset them. What I ended up doing was seiging some of the elf merchants stuff lol,        so Im guessing I will be in trouble soon! I plan to do my fortress again soon anyway, just intrigued to see how things work out. My plan is to get a basic understanding of all the elements in game so soon I will aim to learn about aquifiers, redirecting streams , wells etc and once I know whats needed I can cut out my fortress in one foul swoop and be more oranised.

One final thing ! Merry Christmas! I was actually thinking, imagine if the head developer of the game put an easter egg in that on christmas day all your saves got deleted and a big message came up saying "Merry Christmas haha"  ;D