Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I can't continue my fortress  (Read 2205 times)

arkenphant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I can't continue my fortress
« on: December 24, 2008, 08:09:51 pm »

Bakersblood the Ancient Frilly Anus-Muffin of Crypts is one of my best forts in a while, lasting until the second immagration wave which is the 2nd farthest I've gotten. The fort is 31 dwarves strong with 30 soon (possessed jeweler wants jewels that I don't have) and it is lagging horribly on my desktop... 1-2fps... Now I need someone to watch over the fortress until I get my laptop fixed (later this month). Can someone help me?

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
Re: I can't continue my fortress
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008, 08:22:57 pm »

I can't think of any reason a 30-dwarf fort should be lagging to 1-2 fps on a DESKTOP. Well, I can.. and here are the possible reasons:

1. Your desktop is REALLY old.
2. You are playing on a very, very large map. 3x3 or 4x4 maps will give you much better FPS than larger ones no matter what. If you play on anything larger FPS drops are common.
3. You are playing on a map with a LOT of z-levels. I.e., where a mountain drops to flat plains or something. This is also a common FPS-killing culprit.
4. You discovered HFS but haven't killed the stuff in it yet.
5. You have a TON of magma or water on your map doing a lot of computationally expensive stuff.
6. You have a catsplosion or other animal-breeding problem (i.e., tons of animals are eating your FPS with their pathing). This is probably the most easily solvable dilemma. Just kill them all.

arkenphant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2008, 08:31:36 pm »

This damn thing my mom bought last year, the actual model being made in 2004. It has Windows XP Home and 214 MB RAM!!! The only mod I have on DF is Mayday's tileset. As for animals... I slaughtered most of the starting animals after they gave birth, threw 7 foals and 2 puppies in a cage. There are seven kittens and 3 cats...  :P I don't think that would lag me much... But the lag started after the first dwarf from the second migration wave came in. The first migrants came with 7, not including animals. No one has died, but my pointless jeweler soon will. I have also never been sieged, only have been invaded by 3 kobolds that left the second they were spotted...

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008, 08:37:22 pm »

214 MB RAM

Ow. Yeah, that would be the reason. Go buy a few cheap RAM sticks.

arkenphant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2008, 08:44:28 pm »

Can't...  :( My mom has barely any money. Also, like I said in the first post, she's going to try and get my laptop fixed later this month.

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2008, 09:28:11 pm »

The good news is once you get enough ram to keep all the DF data in ram (there's not very much) your framerate will go back to normal. The increase won't be nearly proportional. I'm not sure there's a word for multiplying by 35 at least, but that. As soon as you pass some critical threshold for RAM, it'll all be fixed.

Lexender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2008, 11:37:50 pm »

Meanwhile, you could also turn off weather and temperature in the init. Those two can burden your machine quite a lot.

arkenphant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2008, 11:53:11 pm »

My usual framerate is 11... sometimes, for no reason, DF would just run at 2-5 FPS before the migrants came...

Also, weather and temp makes the game way more interesting!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2008, 12:54:36 am »

Weather and temp don't do much of anything unless you like playing with magma.

Another FPS killer people overlook - over programs running.  I've noticed a drop of 10-20 FPS just by having Firefox maximized with DF in a window over it.  If you've got a lot of programs running in the background, especially browsers and music players, turn some of that off and see what you get.  With so little RAM, it should help.  Of course, Toady put on the download page that you really should have 512MB, but beggars can't be choosers.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2008, 03:14:07 am »

sneaking goblins/kobolds slow my computer down to half its normal speed. speeds up once they are revealed.
Magma is overrated.

ElChad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2008, 03:44:31 am »

sneaking goblins/kobolds slow my computer down to half its normal speed. speeds up once they are revealed.

That isn't necesarrly a bad thing. I wouldn't mind having a way to figure out of those sneaky snakes before I get my dwarfs crying about lost goods or seeing a gobo or kobold.

arkenphant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2008, 01:39:12 pm »

When I run FireFox with DF it lags to 6 FPS for a minute or two. Also, using reveal.exe with my fortress, oddly, stopped it lagging to 1-2 FPS.

Groveller

• Bay Watcher
  • Giant Wingéd Giant Caveswallowmanman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2008, 11:45:24 am »

I need someone to watch over the fortress until I get my laptop fixed

Are you worried the dwarves will be lonely if they're not played? Cos, I mean... they won't hold it against you. So long as you put an artifact wall hatch cover in their dining room or something.
The raccoon's still there, though.  Just chilling out.  Being a raccoon in some rocks.

Grov: Grovness is a Grov (A Grov Grov)

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2008, 01:26:35 pm »

I need someone to watch over the fortress until I get my laptop fixed

Are you worried the dwarves will be lonely if they're not played? Cos, I mean... they won't hold it against you. So long as you put an artifact wall hatch cover in their dining room or something.
*Raises Hand*

My fort just got killed by a legendary jewler too. Go figure.
Im taking a break from SPORE and FALLOUT 3 and Cortex Command for a while, so I would be glad to help
Angry if I dont get it.

Retales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2008, 01:30:22 pm »

4. You discovered HFS but haven't killed the stuff in it yet.
This is what happened to me. And I can't think of a way to kill them (because of certain immunities and other traits) ._.
Quote from: roundedge link=topic=27527.msg362681#msg362681
And so, little dwarfling if to mayor you rise
never forget to heed this advice
when it's items outdoors, no matter how small
remember remember to forbid them all.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Pages: [1] 2