Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: What was the most embarrassing way you died?  (Read 4977 times)

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What was the most embarrassing way you died?
« on: December 24, 2008, 05:51:41 pm »

First of all, sorry if there already was a topic like this, I did a quick search and got no results :)
Anyway, what was the most embarrassing way you died in Adventure Mode?

For me, it probabally was when I had created a new dwarf adventurer, all points in axe. I decided to go to the nearest human settlement to wreck some havoc. Having killed a few guards, the citizens were now open for attacks. I charged at a fisherman, first slash, wham, cut his hand off. He started wrestling me, I dodged him and gave him another slash, right in the face. Cut an eye out, damaged his ear and his face didn't look to well either. Suddenly, I couldn't do anything anymore, it seems he was choking me and after my fights with the guards, it seemed like I was getting tired so I...passed out. I got a huge log, ending with me dying.
So let me sum this up, I slaughtered guards but a one eyed one handed fisherman strangles me to death? Whoops  :-[

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
Re: What was the most embarrassing way you died?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008, 05:54:26 pm »

First of all, sorry if there already was a topic like this, I did a quick search and got no results :)
Anyway, what was the most embarrassing way you died in Adventure Mode?

For me, it probabally was when I had created a new dwarf adventurer, all points in axe. I decided to go to the nearest human settlement to wreck some havoc. Having killed a few guards, the citizens were now open for attacks. I charged at a fisherman, first slash, wham, cut his hand off. He started wrestling me, I dodged him and gave him another slash, right in the face. Cut an eye out, damaged his ear and his face didn't look to well either. Suddenly, I couldn't do anything anymore, it seems he was choking me and after my fights with the guards, it seemed like I was getting tired so I...passed out. I got a huge log, ending with me dying.
So let me sum this up, I slaughtered guards but a one eyed one handed fisherman strangles me to death? Whoops  :-[
Thats one bad ass fisherman.

Mine was when a cyclops beat me to death with my own sock, its not very unique but I dident really think things like that acctualy happened...

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2008, 06:15:43 pm »

You have lost possession of the pig tail trousers.
The frog demon bashes you in the lower body with the pig tail trousers.
It collapses into a lump of gore!
You have been struck down.

Or about like that. After my first adventurer on the HFS site had strangled one with basically no trouble at all...
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008, 06:31:58 pm »

Or about like that. After my first adventurer on the HFS site had strangled one with basically no trouble at all...
That sounds like it would be incredibly nasty to see in real life, good thing my imagination isent that good.

Majorlag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2008, 06:34:33 pm »

Its not all that embarrassing, but a recent adventurer snuffed it like so:

I was a bowman, sneaking around a cave in the age of myth looking for giant. I found a giant, but it wasn't the right one, so I turned around and started searching other areas in the cave. Eventually I get into a fight with a surprisingly agile large rat and kill it. I begin sneaking into a long narrow passageway when I notice the giant from before is following me, presumably trying to find whoever killed his pet rat. Not a problem, I think, I'm still sneaking and can make it to those stairs before he gets me. I get to the stairs and

You've been spotted!

Yep, I bumped into another giant (still not the right one), on the stair, so now I'm pinned between 2 giants. It doesn't end well.
The True Adventures of ___________

Insight into the minds of Dwarf Fortress Players - Random Quote of the Month:
He once spent a week visiting a cave in which there lived seven giants.  Each day, he would come in, track down each of the giants, and beat it to the point of unconsciousness.

E-mouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2008, 06:39:55 pm »

After experimenting a tiny bit with setting fires and not seeing immediate consequences from hanging out in them for a little while, I decided to light the surroundings aflame before grinding Throwing with my first adventurer.

Somewhere amid the t-t-enter spam I burned to death.

This has got to be up there.

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2008, 10:38:51 pm »

Jumping into a 3x4 stagnant pool to escape wolves only to realize that I hadn't trained up swimming yet.
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

arkenphant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2008, 12:17:39 am »

An off-screen goblin shot me to death... :P Not that embarrassing...

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2008, 12:47:32 am »

I was exploring some mountains and came across an exposed Bottomless Pit.  I'd never seen one in adventure mode before, and thought it'd be fun to jump in and find out what happens.  So I save scummed (it was part of a forum challenge run) and dove off the ledge.

I hit ground 3 z-levels down and broke some bones.  I crawled to the edge and dove off again and died another 4 levels down.  I reloaded and tried again in a different spot.  Splattered on solid ground 12 z-levels down.  I reloaded again, tried one more spot, and finally made it into the chasm to see the neat animation.

So to point out the embarrassment, I tried to jump into a bottomless pit and missed three times.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Patarak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2008, 12:55:23 am »

I got pushed into the water like a zillion times. I couldn't swim.

What is the chasm animation, incidently?

mythmonster2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2008, 12:58:12 am »

I think it's just you have fallen into a bottomless chasm. I learned that the hard way...
Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.
And neither can I...

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2008, 01:01:45 am »

You see your character land on the chasm tile, then it cycles through some tile graphics to look like an object falling into the distance.  That Toady put it in was cool of him.

Actually, the whole event was a forum challenge to see if we could reach the named summit of a mountain now that cliffs are smoothed.  Not only did we make it, but we found out the summits are so flat, you have to check the map to see if you're on it.  Toady apparently took notice, and in the next update, added a notification and legends entry when you reached the named tile.  Great guy that he is.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2008, 01:03:48 am »

Well, uh, i was playing a axedwarf at the time, and wanted to try my wrestling aswell, so i went of to wander in a evil area and hope i'd get attacked by zombies...

I got attacked by bunch of foul blendecs, and they seemed quite nasty at first, but after a little while i hacked them to bits, and this went on for about 20 minutes.
I was getting bored of killing blendecs, i didn't even get to figh tas ingle zombie! So i was about to leave and yet another group of blendecs gangs me up.
I thought bah, to hell with them, i had enough of their shit, so i went on and hacked one in the chest, thing is, instead of killing him, the axe got stuck on his chest. Since there was 3 other blendecs pounding on me, i had to take that axe off him, so i tried walking away and...

Yea, i lost the axe, but what happened next left me speechless: The blendec pulled the axe off his chest, and beheaded me with it.
What the hell just happened?

By the way, merry christmas, party's over, i'm going to bed  :D
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2008, 02:05:47 am »

Oh wait, I just now remember a even more embarasing death then my last. I made on of my characters a swimmer, and this being my first time to have one, went to practice the skill in a lake. Now at the time I dident know how to make my characters swim(I still cant :-\) well anyway I just walked around the bottom of the lake for a while trying to get out the way I got in, but my charater eventualy just drowned.

NikkTheTrick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2008, 03:22:40 am »

I think we have a case of a reeeeeaaaalllyyyy good wedgie here  ;D
Dwarf Fortress- where nightmare fuel is recycled into business plan.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4