Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Blood and water  (Read 550 times)

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
Blood and water
« on: December 24, 2008, 05:39:50 pm »

1, the only real question-How long does water stay bloody? I want to have a fountain of blood at some point, or channels along main corridors running red. (Without the magma that makes ‼dwarves‼- not that it wouldn't also be a fun construction) All sorts of possibilities. (Or vomit, harder to obtain unless you have cave-adapted dorves)

2- I guess the brewery raws aren't accessible yet, so we can't make bloodwine easily. Nor does it seem we can carry blood around for that. Pity.

3- Water covering(mouth)- This always sounds dangerous to me. Anyone else similarly alarmed?
4- It's not a spattering, it's a decoration! Cloth dyed red with blood and other things. Just have to wait for those raws I guess.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blood and water
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008, 05:42:14 pm »

I don't know how water stays bloody, but pumps will probably "filter" it anyway, so I don't think a fountain of bloody water would work.

I'm curious; what would "bloodwine" be, exactly? Can't exactly ferment blood...

Oh, and water coverings on the mouth are fine. Don't worry about it, it'll go away. Hell, it probably washed off whatever vomit was there!
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2008, 06:08:40 pm »

Can pressurize from afar thanks to how it works, and you could hae the initial blood input at the high water column then. Still, it'd be the next best thing to a fountain of blood raised to Armok.

Bloodwine can be many things. (Masterfully minced carp and finely minced dwarf wine?) If it can't ferment, then you use it to season what can.

...Can you build traps on grates? *test* No. Drat. No easy dwarven blood channels.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008, 06:13:53 pm »

Nah, you can't build any buildings on top of any other buildings.

Oh, sidenote: I just noticed your username, and if you don't know already, "cobalt" actually does come from the word "kobold". Apparently cobaltous(?) ores were really hard/tricky to smelt, hence the name.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2008, 01:06:25 am »

To my knowledge, a single "unit" of blood expands in water to an unknown degree, following the flow until it meets the river's end (as is most oft the case) or it meets a purifying screw pump.

Here's an experiment to try; see what happens when you dunk a fresh, bloody corpse in water at the topmost level and suspend it by grates over more levels of water. I'd love to know if blood trickles vertically through water.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!