Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Yet another bloody community fortress.  (Read 2157 times)

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Yet another bloody community fortress.
« on: December 24, 2008, 08:25:57 am »

I've decided to jump on the bandwagon and start a community fort. I'm claiming a dwarf, and the other starting six and all migrants thereafter are up for grabs. I'm using a sprinkling of mods, including the goblin family, orcs, and some of the civ-forge mod. And, I think, the massive mod's got bits in too. No love for legendary lands, however. I'm sorry.  :'( Just new creatures, mind you. There's no void-crystal or anything like that. Just frost giants leading gobby civs and giant beetle megabeasts. That kinda thing.

The site I have picked is a terrifying forest with some HFS
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
and a brook. There are also some steep (20+) cliffs....meaning ramps. I guess this is what happens when you have mountain-peak right next to forest tiles. It should mean that there will be a lot of interesting construction possibilities.

You can also take as much stuff with your dwarf as you want (Within reason, no full steel plate.) provided you're part of the starting seven. I'll also be pushing the fortress in the direction the community wants me to...except I'm not breaching the HFS or even touching the stuff until the fort can handle the HFS. I'll also some pictures for the fort too, depending on if they're actually wanted or not.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 08:39:12 am by Glacies »

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Yet another bloody community fortress.
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008, 10:20:24 am »

Ooooh Ooooh! Wok the miner dwarf would like to sign right up, good sir or madam. All he requests is that he gets to dig, do mason work, and stone detailing. So long as he has those, he'll work on anything else you need him to. He also happens to love eating at a microline table *wink wink*.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2008, 10:29:01 am »

Okay. I looked at the site properly. It seems we're not going to find any undead thingies, although I still lost the testing woodworker to a cave bear, whatever the hell that is. Probably a bear that lives in a cave. I noticed two lignite veins, a native silver vein, cassiterite and magnetite, and a handfull of gems. Also; we have 60 z-levels to play with.

Is everyone happy with "Startouch the awe-inspiring tower" or something like that as a name? I think I'll build a massive tower here and then open it up for adventure mode.

Also, Wok, you've been added to my list. Hell. You're the first person on my list. I think I'll draw him as having a big, poofy white beard and a domed helmet that's too big for his head with a candle on top.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008, 10:35:45 am »

The Duke, a depressed Woodcutter. I imagine him(Or her) to wine and moan every time they have to venture outside. Mayhaps a woodcutter/woodworker to make sure this guy isn't just a ball of toiling depression?

If he lives, I imagine either a cranky young old-timer, or a fearless suicidal.

If they die, I expect a "Told you so!" in their dieing breath.

And wait, this is having pictures? Awesome! I remember what you churned out in the artifact threads. Still, I know making stuff like that takes time.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2008, 10:36:01 am »

I would like to order a future military dwarf, preferably one that uses axes. Just go with chaotic here.

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2008, 10:46:59 am »

Okay, I've added The Duke and Chaotic to the list. The Duke is going to be black-bearded and heavyset. Chaotictag, you're saying you want in after we establish a military, and you don't want to be part of the starting seven, right?

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2008, 10:53:22 am »

I'll claim one of the starting seven.  Robin's the name, and I'd like him/her to be an animal trainer in some capacity.  I'd also like you to bring some dogs (for breeding/training/food) if I can still ask for that (it sounds like you've already embarked).  Robin'll fill gaps where you need and has pretty wide interests, so he/she'll be pretty happy doing whatever you end up telling him/her to do.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2008, 10:59:02 am »

Okay. I added Robin to the list and no, I have not properly embarked yet. I suspect you'll come in handy much later, when we have spiders. And golden eagles. Both of which can be tamed into war/hunting animals. Robin is going to look a bit weedy, but not as wizened as Wok, and also is going to look a bit unkempt. I think he/she will be doing a stint as a butcher/leatherworker early on.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2008, 11:09:07 am »

You have coal, silver, and iron? Count me in as a smith. At least some skill in all 4 metalworking areas, with an emphasis on armor or weapons for the iron and metalcrafting for the silver. Ideally he/she should like some sort of weapon or armor so any moods are more likely to produce one of those. Also, if possible, I should like a metal we actually have on the map so I don't die trying to get lay pewter or something like that.

Ironbeard if male, Silvereyes if female. Ideally I'd like to have an anvil to start with, if not I guess just level up mining until we're competent enough to get ore without ruining too much of it.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2008, 11:16:40 am »

I want the last spot!

I've never done a community fortress before and I think it'll be fun

Tylui(Original, riiiight?)(Xsiff, if female), the Clerk/Stone Detailer!

If possible.  I have an eye for detail, so perfecting the tallies or perfecting the stone, it's all the same to me!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 11:19:01 am by Tylui »

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2008, 11:31:18 am »

Ooh nice to know about additional tamable animals.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2008, 11:35:04 am »

Sounds to me that this is the embarkation of one of the most hilarious and epic fortress known to man, dwarf, or kobold. Goblins don't count because they're smelly, and elves are elves. Damn elves.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
  • Like Fire, You Will Blaze Through The Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2008, 12:01:10 pm »

I'd like to claim a future military dwarf:

Fireheart
Male
Sworddwarf

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2008, 12:08:48 pm »

Speaking of creatures, do we get cave crabs and domesticated giant beetles? Or did you leave those out? If they're in, I recommend that our animal trainer take a bunch of cave crabs to start with. They're pretty cheap, trainable, and decent in a fight. Giant beetles are a lot better, but pretty expensive.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2008, 04:05:02 pm »

Yeah I don't really know anything about the creatures you're using and I was just bringing the dogs because I'm used to vanilla, so if there's something better/cooler/more hilarity producing, go ahead and bring some of them along instead.
Pages: [1] 2 3