Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Balance Issues  (Read 1840 times)

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Balance Issues
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2008, 03:01:19 am »

Metalcrafters, a job that does very little... VERY LITTLE... in fact, the only useful thing they can do is make goblets. If they couldn't do that, Blacksmiths and armorers would beat them out EVEN WORSE than they do now as far as usefulness to the fort is concerned. Allow me to elaborate:

goblets have an item value of 10 and three are made with each bar
Anvils & platemails have an item value of 100, and each requires three bars of metal to make

So if we take a three bars of iron, a very common metal with a material value of 10, and make 9 goblets out of them, at standard quality, would collectively be worth 900 dwarfins.

If we take those same three bars of iron and instead decide to make an anvil or a suit of platemail, we'll have an item worth 1000 dwarfins at standard quality.

You might argue "But Josh, you can make goblets out of valuable metals like Platinum that you can't make anvils or platemail out of", but that only cripples Metalcrafters even more, because the ore of said valuable metals is usually the same value as the metal itself, stonecrafters can make mugs out of that ore that are worth the same amount, and don't require a piece of fuel wasted or an extra step in the assembly line, ALL this put together with the fact that the rarity of these metals in comparison to iron, Blacksmiths, Armorers, and stonecrafters will forever and ever be better than Metalcrafters.

If you take away goblets, Metalcrafters are ANOTHER vestigial job, replaced completely by Blacksmiths, Armorers, and stonecrafters. So please, consider the poor metalcrafter, he doesn't have alot. He can make valueble mugs, thats all he can do, don't take that away from him.

thanks but i think you missed my point entirely. My only point was that goblets and flasks were always made in sets of 3, and there was no point at making any of the other items. This was the imbalance I was referring to. giving us one item was only one of TWO solutions, the other was having 3 of every other item produced at each time.

and I've never studded before, but that does seem to be a slight imbalance. maybe it was supposed to add 10x the value of the bar, or something.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2008, 10:15:21 am »

Ore being worth the same as the metal it produces is one thing I always have had a problem with. :/
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2008, 01:57:28 pm »

Rather than make GCS silk less valuable (do you know how hard it is to harvest that stuff from a GCS?), why not add a rarity value to creatures with extracts?  The higher the number, the less likely it is for a dude to show up wearing it.

that may help, however that won't stop us from ordering 5 or 6 bins from a caravan. It just seems easier to lower the amount of money you get per item as a base.
So your solution is to make it so that there are hardly any rare, hard-to-get items that reward you for trying to get them?  Anyway, the game uses the same RNG to determine clothing materials as it does to determine items brought by caravan.  As for ordering GCS silk, it would have to be a special order that would cost you extra.  The "rarity value" could also reduce the amount of material a caravan would bring when you order.  Low priority orders for GCS items would mean that you'd have to be lucky for them to even consider bothering to get you some.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Martian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2008, 02:36:20 pm »

I Would suggest adding negative multipliers to an item of clothing for each hit. say, 5% of the value is taken off of plate armor for each hit a goblin takes.
I wouldn't say a straight value decrease for armour. Give it a wounds system (dent in the left upper corner, hole in the middle etc.) and have an armour be able to repair it. This should also apply to your soldier's armour, they need to have their armour fixed after each battle.

Also, instead of a hit decreasing the value make it depend on the weapon type. A death blow with a hammer to the chest would do a lot more damage than a death blow with a spear.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2008, 03:25:24 pm »

Well, if toys aren't made by metalcrafters, maybe they should be. There's no reason to keep goblets as the only viable export of the trinket variety simply because a profession is poorly balanced

Personally I think metalcrafting should be limited to soft metals only and not require fuel, producing several crafts per bar. Also, it should be in the jeweler category, not blacksmithing. Iron goblets are pretty self defeating

Iron's availability thanks to goblins shouldn't be the determining factor whether a profession is good or not. Eventually caravans and mining outposts should provide us with the metals we need to make all professions viable. Hopefully world gen civs will make use of them too, making civs start in random places but limit their resources to what they have available wasn't a very good move

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2008, 03:37:32 pm »

I don't think i even mentioned goblins Pilsu, i was referring more to how iron ore deposits occur more frequently and are much larger than other ore veins.

Magnetite anyone? Finding a pocket of magnetite is several hundred iron bars right their.

Hematite and limonite are less extreme, but still common enough to tip the balance in iron's favor.

In truth, Goblins do give a fair amount of iron, but it's a drop in the bucket when compared to the incredible amount gained from mining.

And to the OP, yeah, i guess i must have misread your post. In any case, Metalcrafters need a little buffing in order to be viable at all. Perhaps if the metal units system is revamped to be more specific and melting is made more forgiving... but that's another topic, another time.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2008, 03:55:53 pm »

One problem with using goblins for iron is that it's significantly less fuel-efficient than ore.  While this isn't a big deal if you have magma, it seriously cuts down the viability of melting their stuff if you don't.  Only plate mail exceeds having just 60% of the fuel efficiency that smelting ore does.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.
Pages: 1 [2]