Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Clean Dwarves  (Read 991 times)

arkenphant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Clean Dwarves
« on: December 24, 2008, 01:37:55 am »

I noticed that a lot of the dwarves either have blood splattering or nothing on their body. I was thinking that they would at least attempt to clean off blood splatterings. Or get dirty from farming or woodcutting. I think that dwarves should be able to use soap and water to clean themselves off. If they don't clean themselves off and swim, their close will become wet, yet, slightly clean. Mining, farming, woodcutting, butchering, cooking, metalsmithing and a lot of other jobs are really dirty. For example, buthering would get blood splatterings on the dwarf. Mining would get mud or dust on their clothes. Metalsmithing would get soot or ash on their clothes. Also, a dwarf hauling a bed by another dwarf slaying a goblin or being slain by some carp would get some blood on it, decreasing the objects value.
Suggested Pros to being clean:
-Traders take you more seriously and you'll probably get a discount on stuff you ask for them to bring.
-Migrants will be more appealed to come to your fortress.
-Increases room pricing with clean objects.
Suggested Cons for being dirty:
-Traders will not take you as smart, increasing some object's value.
-Migrants would not want to arrive at a blood stained fortress.
-Decreases room value. A *Larch Bed* with several blood splatterings on it in a bedroom might make the room a bedroom to a modest bedroom.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Clean Dwarves
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008, 01:42:45 am »

Only if dwarves clean eachother too.

Bow chicka bow wow.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2008, 01:47:22 am »

Only if dwarves clean eachother too.

Bow chicka bow wow.
Oh stop it.  Parents will clean their babies too, you know.  In fact, that is far more common.  And do you really want to think about dwarves taking baths?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008, 01:48:21 am »

From a purely utilitarian standpoint, tracking the exponential balooning of blood stains on soldiers might become a taxing memory load.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2008, 03:08:34 am »

I like my Dwarves naked and covered in blood and vomit quite well, thank you.

But seriously, we do need bathing. And sane handling of clothes, too.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2008, 03:12:28 am »

I'm still of the belief that we need to be able to forcibly dress our dwarves somehow in order to make the clothes industry useful for anything beyond exporting raw cloth/clothes; doing so makes me feel like a hypocrite, as I constantly bemoan humans and elves for bringing clothing of the wrong size.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2008, 04:45:08 am »

I'm still of the belief that we need to be able to forcibly dress our dwarves somehow in order to make the clothes industry useful for anything beyond exporting raw cloth/clothes; doing so makes me feel like a hypocrite, as I constantly bemoan humans and elves for bringing clothing of the wrong size.
And why does the Dungeon Master, like wears, EVERY SINGLE FREAKING CLOAK ANYWHERE IN THE FORT.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2008, 05:28:50 am »

The thing is that I can't imagine the average dwarf being bothered about wearing filthy rags and twenty pages of blood, soil and vomit.
I can also imagine said filthy dwarf taking offense at that squeaky-clean elf/human trader making snide comments about the filth and dropping them into magma.
Mmmm, nothing gets you clean like immersion in molten rock.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2008, 07:40:59 am »

Yeah, bathing has been suggested already. It's a must have feature in the future imo, even tho it's importance is trivial right now.

Caffienatedjedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2008, 11:47:06 am »

I thought dwarves were made of dirt and such. Wouldn't they melt when in contact with soap.
By that logic, wagons are the gods of war.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2008, 11:34:06 pm »

Soap or not, I think it would be fun to design a dwarf shower system, involving a waterfall, a narrow tunnel the dwarf would have to pass through to get to the dining hall, a couple of floor grates, and a wind, or magma-powered drying system.

Dwarf hottubs would be fun, too, possibly built around a watermill (to churn the water), and heated by magma (naturally or otherwise). You could maybe build it close to an icy stream, so the dwarfs could jump in when they got too hot.

A third option would be a sauna, maybe built around several kilns, or a blacksmith shoppe, so that it could take advantage of the excess heat.

Can dwarfs currently sweat?

Clean sand, by the way, should be an alternative to soap, when it comes to getting dwarfs clean. Even crude soap is really a luxury in a medieval setting.

Also, has anyone put forth the idea of distilling colognes and perfumes? That would have been common for men and women to wear in medieval times, and it would be a very valuable trade item.

Ofcourse, it would be very secondary to the primary reason for dwarfs building stills, but a nice cottage industry, on maps with the appropriate plants and animals.

Sperm whales (which would be considerably larger than the whales currently in the game) might give a unit of extremely valuable ambergris, when butchered, or it might be left behind when their corpses rot.
For they would be your masters.

arkenphant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2008, 12:26:13 am »

On a related note, I found this in the Dev Notes:
Bloat166, BATHS, (Future): Bath tubs. Golden bath tubs. Use of soap with a bucket of water.