Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: to catch an eagle... a giant eagle!  (Read 3479 times)

Splendiferous

• Bay Watcher
  • Psychotic. Primate.
    • View Profile
to catch an eagle... a giant eagle!
« on: December 24, 2008, 01:09:39 am »

I want to catch a living giant eagle that is flying menacingly around my fort. in a cage, I don't care if i can train it, I just want one.

so help me figure out a way to do it. let's put our brilliant strategic minds to work and strategize!
"He returns once every thousand years! Or if the stars align! Or whenever he's bored."

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: to catch an eagle... a giant eagle!
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008, 01:35:23 am »

Catching a giant eagle, i imagine, would be a notoriously difficult task. Seeing as how they're flying and all.

I'd place my money though, on somehow luring it into a hallway full of cage traps, then using cave-in dust to knock it out so it'll fall unconscious and get trapped.

Splendiferous

• Bay Watcher
  • Psychotic. Primate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2008, 01:47:43 am »

so the question is... what lures an eagle?
"He returns once every thousand years! Or if the stars align! Or whenever he's bored."

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008, 01:59:08 am »

Giant Eagle Meat, probably.

E-mouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2008, 02:21:35 am »

Don't they wander aimlessly unless something gets too close for comfort?

First wall yourself in well enough that you won't encounter them unless you want to. You can try making a roofed cage-trap corridor with a chained animal as bait, but I'm not sure how easily they'll take to that. Do eagles have to be KO'd in order to fall into a cage trap, or just pass over it on the same Z-level?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2008, 08:25:29 am »

AFAIK, you can cage them with a roofed corridor, without knocking them out first.
Elves sell em too sometimes..
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Uninvited Guest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2008, 10:36:27 am »

i caught one a few fortresses ago. he just kinda wandered into one of my cage traps - wasn't specifically trying to catch anything. dungeon master tamed it and after that he just kinda floated around the castle for the rest of the game.

Tasarran

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2008, 11:49:51 am »

This doesn't help with the original post, but I had a young wild eagle adopt one of my dwarves one time.  I'm not sure if he was Giant or not, though.

Like someone just said about the trapped eagle, he just hung around that dwarf for the rest of the game, he didn't really do anything special.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2008, 01:57:57 pm »

Use a cat, on a leash, and surrounded by cage traps, not on them, but in a small alcove, at least 5x5!

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2008, 08:57:52 am »

ive found with giant bats that its a bit of a coin toss as to whether they choose to fly or walk even in a roofed or underground area. if they are flying you need to knock them out with cave in dust. or lock the door on them and hope they eventually land.

and, ive been trying to find a way to cage my legendary champions to do things with them for adventure mode, and somehow never thought of cave in dust. my champions actually take years to fall asleep when locked into a cage trap room, i have to keep feeding them through a hole in the roof, and they tend to get miserable, drop their weapons and armor, and eventually berserk before they sleep. plus waiting them out takes forever and is boring. so thankyou, chaotic josh and other forum peoples for the idea. i guess i have to be careful not to squash the dwarves or destroy the traps.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2008, 10:27:16 am »

Cave-in dust travels through fortifications, that can be used to increase safety

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2008, 05:13:17 pm »

Just scatter a few cage traps around and see if you get lucky. I've caught one like this before.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

GenericOverusedName

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2008, 08:29:49 pm »

I've been trying to catch one too. For some reason, it doesn't seem to care much about chasing my dorfs/pets. Guess it's a friendly eagle?  :-\

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2008, 09:40:29 pm »

I have caught one with my current fort absolutely accidentally.  Some elf traders appeared right before an ambush and got wiped out.  No dwarves were hurt in the incident :P.  Anyway, after collecting all their stuff I noticed an empty cage out in the wilderness doing nothing.  I marked it for dumping and thought nothing of it.  About a year later in Dorf terms, I noticed a giant eagle -tame- on my unit list.  I went to it and behold, the magical elven cage caught it.  Too cool.  now he hangs out in my meeting area and harrases all the lazy dorf chillens
"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2009, 05:01:07 am »

ive been looking around a little and cant find answers. when you get male and female exotic pets together do they breed? im thinking of GCS, giant eagles, and dragons. ive had tame GCS before and plenty of people tame dragons, but... do you get the fps killing catsplosion that other tame creatures give you.
Pages: [1] 2