Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [req] orange  (Read 3583 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
[req] orange
« on: December 31, 2007, 11:42:00 am »

I think we need the color orange in Dwarf Fortress. We have two shades of green, blue, grey, red, and teal; and we have brown, yellow, black, and white, but no orange. And orange could be the bright color (because every color has bright/dark) and the dark version could be a brown that doesn't look so yellow.

Rob Allen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [req] orange
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 12:01:00 pm »

I believe DF uses the standard 16-color DOS color palette.  I don't recall an orange in that palette.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 12:20:00 pm »

I wish you could just make the color of something 255:165:0, or DF's version which is much lower because it doesnt seem to go by the exact rules of RGB like it says in the init.txt, which has really screwed me alot of times in my modding early on.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Chthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 12:43:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Rob Allen:
<STRONG>I believe DF uses the standard 16-color DOS color palette.  I don't recall an orange in that palette.</STRONG>

No, DF uses a hex format of FFFFFF where the first 2 digits are red, the second 2 are blue, and the third 2 are green.  This is a potential of 16,777,216 colors.  Most are not used however as not a lot of effort on the part of Toady has been put into graphics yet.  Go into the raws, and you can play with the colors yourself.

''d be perfect if I weren''t so arrogant.

Rob Allen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 12:45:00 pm »

ok, well i guess it just LOOKS like DOS 16-color then.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 03:35:00 pm »

I think Toady's already put in a few non-ASCII colors.   Though I could just need my eyes checked.

Core Xii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 04:53:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Chthon:
<STRONG>No, DF uses a hex format of FFFFFF where the first 2 digits are red, the second 2 are blue, and the third 2 are green.</STRONG>

That's one way to put it... or you could just say 8-bit RGB. The point, however, is that DF uses the 16-color DOS palette just like it uses the code page for graphics and 80x25 console resolution, for that old-skool ASCII -look.

I don't see a reason to conform to those, but then, I'm not developing this game.

Reality is for people who lack imagination

Yourself

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2007, 06:47:00 pm »

quote:
or you could just say 8-bit RGB

I thought it was typically referred to as 24-bit.  It is 8-bits per channel, but it's 24-bit color (8-bit color refers to 256 colors)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2007, 09:40:00 pm »

« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 07:36:38 pm by penguinofhonor »

Core Xii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2008, 08:34:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Yourself:
<STRONG>It is 8-bits per channel, but it's 24-bit color (8-bit color refers to 256 colors)</STRONG>

Right, that's what I meant, 8-bits per R, G and B.

Reality is for people who lack imagination

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2008, 01:04:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by penguinofhonor:
<STRONG>So who's in favor of Orange? And, I think, we'd all enjoy a good Purple.</STRONG>

We've got purple, it's the color nobles are, what we need is a good Violet (vibrant purple).

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2008, 04:52:00 pm »

Well, the color of a tile is described by shade and brightness, with 8 shades and two brightness levels. More detail is on the Wiki. If this gets updated at all, it would probably be a good idea to change this strait to RBG values, as I believe the dye colors are described. The main flaw of this is when you are dealing with text, there is very little benefit to having 128:134:112 AND 120:130:110. It's just to hard to tell. perhaps a 10% scale for each colour?

On the subject of colour; perhaps the game could interpret white as 100% of the front colour and black as 100% of the background, blending greys by saturation? (don't listen to this idea, it would probably make all tilesets obsolete.)

[ January 01, 2008: Message edited by: PTTG?? ]

A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2008, 05:51:00 pm »

Internally, the program does indeed use the the CGA 16-color palette.  Early 1980's technology.

However, when it talks to OpenGL, it uses 24-bit RGB or 32-bit RGB+alpha.  It has to, as that's the only thing OpenGL supports.

This can even be seen in the init.txt file, which lets you override the default colors.  I use html Dodger Blue for dark blue, and html Gold for brown.

Custom color palettes is late 1980's VGA-level technology.  (Technically VGA was 18-bit color, but it was the first PC adapter that allowed custom colors.)

From object-code inspection, it would seem possible to give each and every item & mob a custom 24-bit foreground and 24-bit background color.  The descriptor_color_standard.txt raw file may be preparation for such a change.

It appears that actually converting the code from 4-bit color to 24-bit color would be a lot of work.  However it looks like the process would be mechanical enough that an intelligent-enough Perl script could do the gruntwork.  (I doubt that Toady has much Perl-fu, though.)

If I were doing this refactoring, at the same time that this change was made I would modify the various draw routines to take a foreground and background color instead of setting the color values manually before each call.  Encapsulation, you see.  (I would also make variants that are given x/y coordinates instead of setting those manually.)

I would at this time like to recommend certain books to Toady: Refactoring by Fowler, Design Patterns by Gamma et al, Antipatterns by Brown et al, and Antipatterns and Patterns in Software Configuration Management, also by Brown et al.  (Same Brown, different et al.)  Good stuff.

Istrian

• Bay Watcher
  • Malevolent Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2008, 09:55:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Draco18s:
<STRONG>

We've got purple, it's the color nobles are, what we need is a good Violet (vibrant purple).</STRONG>

We've got vibrant purple too : it is the color of legendary nobles.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2008, 04:08:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Istrian:
<STRONG>

We've got vibrant purple too : it is the color of legendary nobles.</STRONG>

Touche.  I've never gotten one, so...

Pages: [1] 2