Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: So eh, yeah! embarrassment ensues!  (Read 3143 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
So eh, yeah! embarrassment ensues!
« on: December 23, 2008, 10:57:54 pm »

I have never played adventure mode before, and after reading (many times) the tales of those here, i would like to get into it.

well, i HAVE played adventure mode before, but it was more of me blathering about not knowing how to do anything and wondering what the hell is going on with all this combat text flashing on my screen.

From what i can tell, i think my computer is alittle slow, cause holding a direction down in a direction will result in my adventure to continue walking long after i stop holding the button down. But aside from the unresponsiveness, it's pretty ok.

I've read the wiki article about it, but that didn't help one bit. Can someone here be alittle bit more helpful?

mattyb3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So eh, yeah! embarrassment ensues!
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008, 02:46:18 pm »

I'm pretty new to adventure mode as well, but I'm now having a lot of fun.

Personally, i would first create a small-medium map, with parameters. Before you do this, you should make sure that all caves in the world are visible on the map. I think you do this in the init files, it's not hard to do. If you have a slower computer like me, you might also want to turn off temperature as well. For me it made my game much faster.

Go into advanced parameters, and increased the number of mountainous and non mountainous  caves. Increase this number by quite a bit. Also increase the number of civs on the map. This means more quests, etc.

Rest of the settings are up to you. You might want to increase savagery levels, or add more of a specific area.

If the combat text  is bothering you, you can also change this in the init:

Find the [MORE:] [DISPLAY_LENGTH:] settings.

This controls "more" in adventure mode.  If MORE is set to NO, all announcements will be skipped.  DISPLAY_LENGTH controls how many lines are printed before it gives you the "more" prompt.

For example, my settings are
[MORE:YES] [DISPLAY_LENGTH:7], which i find is just enough to keep you informed, without spamming the screen with text.

Happy hunting.

I supose if a dwarf is unhappy or hurt they might have a miscarriage. Perhaps we could experiment a bit.

Cyphert

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2008, 03:47:48 pm »

Make a few characters, don't worry if they die. Get idea how things work, what do the phrases in dialogue mean, what monsters are dangerous, etc.

When you get the basic idea of what is going on, make a character, start slowly by killing creatures in the wilderness and when you feel you are ready, embark on some quest.

And most importantly, have fun!  :)

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008, 04:32:48 pm »

Oh yeah, and be sure that you make it so that there is at least 1 civ on the map. Otherwise you will have to walk around the map naked forever.

Astus Ater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2008, 06:39:07 pm »

Knowing what "T" does is vital. Also, walking in one direction is very taxing on your comp, as it has to continually check what you can and cannot see.
Legendary Liar:  "I just stabbed you and you died.  Sorry."
Victim:  "Well, if you say so." *thud*

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2008, 06:53:25 pm »

Also, If you do that. You will surely starve.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2008, 07:23:27 pm »

I have alot of things figured out.

some things that remain a mystery though:

I simply cannot figure out how to buy things from a shopkeeper. Yes, theirs a menu, but you apparently can't give your character the appraisal skill, and so i only get to see everything's weight. Their are some other options that i just can't figure out the purpose to. I read the wiki, like i said, but that doesn't help.

To help alleviate this problem, instead of buying weapons and armor, i just murder a guard and take them off his corpse. I do have to skip town though.

ALSO, I've taken a quest! apparently, i have to go into a cave and murder something or other, i can't remember. I found the cave! but unfortunately, i can't figure out how to go down staircases, so i can't explore past the first floor.

EDIT: oh wait, I've figured out how to climb staircases, nvm. I do regret getting creamed by a giant bat though.

EDIT 2: Can't figure out how to equip 2 handed weapons. great.

EDIT 3: Hmmm, adventure mode still lags alittle, even with temperature turned off. What else would you suggest turning off to improve performance?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 11:51:50 pm by chaoticjosh »

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2008, 02:00:04 am »

I have alot of things figured out.

some things that remain a mystery though:

I simply cannot figure out how to buy things from a shopkeeper. Yes, theirs a menu, but you apparently can't give your character the appraisal skill, and so i only get to see everything's weight. Their are some other options that i just can't figure out the purpose to. I read the wiki, like i said, but that doesn't help.

To help alleviate this problem, instead of buying weapons and armor, i just murder a guard and take them off his corpse. I do have to skip town though.

ALSO, I've taken a quest! apparently, i have to go into a cave and murder something or other, i can't remember. I found the cave! but unfortunately, i can't figure out how to go down staircases, so i can't explore past the first floor.

EDIT: oh wait, I've figured out how to climb staircases, nvm. I do regret getting creamed by a giant bat though.

EDIT 2: Can't figure out how to equip 2 handed weapons. great.

EDIT 3: Hmmm, adventure mode still lags alittle, even with temperature turned off. What else would you suggest turning off to improve performance?

Edit 2: your probably carrying something in your other hand, you need a backpack to store things in.

Edit 3: I dont know, try turning off flowing water(or something like that)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2008, 02:49:19 am »

Can you elaborate on that "holding things in my hands" stuff, i can't figure out how to move things from my hands, to where i want it.

So yeah, i'm playing as an adventurer Pixie (for anyone familiar with my Pixie Mod) and i'm learning alot.

I've figured out how get people to join you, You just gotta do some noteworthy stuff like killed named animals and do quests i suppose. The wiki makes mention of "drunks" but i don't find anyone like that. I just find some jobless warriors that wanna join me, and they are actually pretty good at fighting.

I'm playing on a 3000 year old world, and pretty much every single animal i run into is a named animal. That helps alot.

I'm learning to appreciate throwing, it really is ridiculous, just throwing stray bits of sand and clay at things causes them serious injuries. Already a legendary thrower.

I've already had a funny story. Very first time i recruited some guys, i had a decent band of warriors methinks. Then i venture out to kill whats-his-face the alligator that killed some dudes, and not a moment into the location, i run into a cyclops that says all this garbage at me and attacks. I thought "No problem, theirs five of us and one of him". The Cyclops freaking DEMOLISHES my party, everyone is killed except me, cause i hoofed it while he was creaming my last swordspixie teammate and got outta their. I thought only Bronze Collossi could regenerate wounds! This Cyclop's brain was pierced with an arrow and he was still clobbering my guys just fine.

Needless to say, i had to go and stock up on some more teammates, good things theirs like a gazillion berjillion pixies in the world.

ANOTHER question though, I went the capital city of the pixie civilization, hoping to meet the Pixie King, and maybe get a really cool quest instead of just killing lousy alligators. So i'm wandering around the capitol, and i suppose that the box on the left is a minimap, and so i head towards the giant blue "K" hoping that "K" means "KING", and i find this giant building. The building is large and several floors tall, alot of the town's citizens are inside of the building for no apparent reason, and their is no furniture except for two chairs against the wall on the first floor.

Is this the King's place? cause i can't find the King anywhere. Are those chairs supposed to be his throne and whatnot? The game doesn't lend itself to be understood easily.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2008, 12:31:02 pm »

Can you elaborate on that "holding things in my hands" stuff, i can't figure out how to move things from my hands, to where i want it.

So yeah, i'm playing as an adventurer Pixie (for anyone familiar with my Pixie Mod) and i'm learning alot.

I've figured out how get people to join you, You just gotta do some noteworthy stuff like killed named animals and do quests i suppose. The wiki makes mention of "drunks" but i don't find anyone like that. I just find some jobless warriors that wanna join me, and they are actually pretty good at fighting.

I'm playing on a 3000 year old world, and pretty much every single animal i run into is a named animal. That helps alot.

I'm learning to appreciate throwing, it really is ridiculous, just throwing stray bits of sand and clay at things causes them serious injuries. Already a legendary thrower.

I've already had a funny story. Very first time i recruited some guys, i had a decent band of warriors methinks. Then i venture out to kill whats-his-face the alligator that killed some dudes, and not a moment into the location, i run into a cyclops that says all this garbage at me and attacks. I thought "No problem, theirs five of us and one of him". The Cyclops freaking DEMOLISHES my party, everyone is killed except me, cause i hoofed it while he was creaming my last swordspixie teammate and got outta their. I thought only Bronze Collossi could regenerate wounds! This Cyclop's brain was pierced with an arrow and he was still clobbering my guys just fine.

Needless to say, i had to go and stock up on some more teammates, good things theirs like a gazillion berjillion pixies in the world.

ANOTHER question though, I went the capital city of the pixie civilization, hoping to meet the Pixie King, and maybe get a really cool quest instead of just killing lousy alligators. So i'm wandering around the capitol, and i suppose that the box on the left is a minimap, and so i head towards the giant blue "K" hoping that "K" means "KING", and i find this giant building. The building is large and several floors tall, alot of the town's citizens are inside of the building for no apparent reason, and their is no furniture except for two chairs against the wall on the first floor.

Is this the King's place? cause i can't find the King anywhere. Are those chairs supposed to be his throne and whatnot? The game doesn't lend itself to be understood easily.
the king or mayor, leader or whatever is still the same letter as all the other peoples of the race, buts a diffrent color. If you cant find him in any of the buildings then try going outside.

Sometimes hes just walking around. Yeah, I think the giant empty room is the kings palace. As for the quests, right now there only seems to be "go and kill ___" quests. :(

And yeah, you need to have a backpack on you to hold extra stuff, check the keybindings with "?", it says just about everything on how to control your character there.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2008, 01:31:15 pm »

I think leaders and other quest givers should be easier to find. Damn, finding human mayors is easy, finding druids is moderately difficult, but finding dwarven kings can be a real ordeal.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2008, 02:20:28 pm »

I think leaders and other quest givers should be easier to find. Damn, finding human mayors is easy, finding druids is moderately difficult, but finding dwarven kings can be a real ordeal.
Yeah, finding them is more of a quest itself. ::)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2008, 02:57:02 pm »

hmmmmmmmmmm, i can't seem to equip ANY weapon. I'm hitting things with a sword, but my swordspixieship isn't going going up at all! How do i fix this?

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2008, 02:58:52 pm »

hmmmmmmmmmm, i can't seem to equip ANY weapon. I'm hitting things with a sword, but my swordspixieship isn't going going up at all! How do i fix this?
If your hitting things with it, its equiped. As for why its not going up? I have no clue.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2008, 03:25:06 pm »

Occasionally you'll find the entire population standing outside the mountainhall entrance for some reason, which makes it a bit easier.
Pages: [1] 2