Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Take From Stockpile + jail stuff.  (Read 915 times)

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
Take From Stockpile + jail stuff.
« on: December 23, 2008, 09:39:50 pm »

First, what does Take From Stockpile do?  I haven't seen that in action.  No idea what the effects are.

Second, I want some stockpiles to be prioritized over others.  For example, at my jail, I always want food to be available there, where my stockpiles are 1 or 2 squares - rather than get all the food hauled to the dining hall which is already overflowing with food.  Any clue if that's possible?

Third, how the HELL can I get worn clothing dumped!  It's still in someone's possession but it's marring the landscape and I hate it.   >:(
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 09:46:07 pm by Shurikane »

amade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • amade's illustrations
Re: Take From Stockpile + jail stuff.
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 10:10:57 pm »

First and second: You can use "take from stockpile" to move food from the stockpile in the dining hall to the jail's stockpile. It's not apparent but it does work. Make sure that your jail food stockpile only accepts prepared food.

Third: You can ignore them by [h]iding them from view.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 10:25:30 pm »

Yus.  Three problems taken care of in one fell swoop.

Now to get merchants to actually unpack...  :(

EDIT: What the hell?  They left a huge pile of wood behind again after staying for barely a minute.  What is going on...
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 10:29:15 pm by Shurikane »

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008, 12:35:29 am »

You can only have one take order per stockpile if memory serves so you might have to split your main stockpile into several if you want all the prison piles stocked. Alternatively, mass designate the entire prison as a stockpile and remove unrelated squares to make a single, multiple spot stockpile

Or was it a single pile that can only take from 1 other, I don't know. Easy enough to try

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2008, 07:34:12 am »

Alternatively, mass designate the entire prison as a stockpile and remove unrelated squares to make a single, multiple spot stockpile
This is the easiest way to do it. If for any reason you have a string of food / booze stockpiles in the fortress, you'll need the jail pile(s) to have their own supply pile(s), because if you try and order a stockpile to take from a pile that's already being taken from... it'll work and your original supply line will be broken without warning or acknowledgement. It's rather annoying really.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

amade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • amade's illustrations
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2008, 07:49:11 am »

Or was it a single pile that can only take from 1 other, I don't know. Easy enough to try

One pile can take from multiple piles, but one pile can't give to multiple piles as explained by Sutremaine.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2008, 08:49:15 am »

That sucks.  Pretty much throws the entire concept of my jail out the window - and it's already been dug and furnished!

Ah well, for the few people who actually go there, it's for violating a production order.  The fucker can starve as far as I'm concerned.

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2008, 05:18:07 pm »

Bump.  I noticed something strange: the jail stockpiles never get filled.  Ever.

Each cell has two piles.  On one, everything's disabled except prepared food.  On the other, everything's disabled except drinks.

Now, my brewer declares he's got no empty barrels when the jail contains nothing but empty barrels.

What gives?

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 05:30:10 am »

Do you have barrels reserved in the stockpile menu?

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 09:18:34 am »

Do you have barrels reserved in the stockpile menu?

Haven't defined any at creation - though there is of course the "max barrel" value, which corresponds to the total area occupied by the stockpile.

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2008, 08:23:52 pm »

With respect to multiple 'take from' stockpiles, you may be able to use something like

Stockpile 1 takes from Main Stockpile
Stockpile 2 takes from Stockpile 1
Stockpile 3 takes from Stockpile 2
Stockpile 4 takes from Stockpile 3
etc

Which will cause a whole bunch of double handling, but should result in each stockpile filling.

TettyNullus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2008, 08:26:02 pm »

Are you sure those are really empty barrels? I tend to set up barrel-only stockpile next to stills and farmer workshops so I can see how much is left over at a glance. Might help you keep track, and some barrels I've thought empty had food in them.

Stromko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2008, 12:34:03 am »

My first thought is that the barrels left in the stockpiles have been claimed for other jobs, and that's why the brewers refuse to take and use them. Perhaps someone is coming to put things in them, or just move them elsewhere. They might've been repurposed for other stockpiles but the dwarves are filling them where they stand.

You might try setting the meals stockpile to have no barrels, having an entire barrel of food for every cell is a bit excessive anyway and may very well result in the pile only being partially filled, leaving many cells with no food in them.

Of course that's not an option for a drinks stockpile, but Tetty's suggestion to have a barrels-only furniture pile someplace may help get the empty barrels out and leave space for booze. That may also help get any barrel out before it gets re-claimed for other tasks, so that it doesn't sit on the food stockpiles in the meantime. Of course it's going to mean a decent bit more hauling.

This all usually works for me, I keep my prisons supplied in the same way, by making a big food stockpile that covers all the cells, removing bits of it until there's only 1 space of stockpile per cell, then repeating to make a drink stockpile right next to it. Very handy since I can then adjust settings for each type of pile wit one operation, instead of fiddling with each and every cell's food supply.

It may seem like a problem that each main stockpile can only have one other stockpile take from it, but if each of the stockpiles you want filled is for a different type of thing then it's much better that they each have their own source they're taking from. Otherwise, say if you could have a Booze pile and a Prepared Meals stockpile taking from a Main stockpile, and let's say you had lots of meals but not very much booze, the Main stockpile would end up completely filled with meals and Booze distribution would be uncontrolled.

It's better really to have a separate Meals and separate Booze piles, each placed where they can be easily filled up, that way so long as you have a decent supply of those things, the whole supply chain should work.

Whatever you do, don't make stockpiles infinitely (or excessively) loop around eachother, because so long as food or whatever is being moved someplace, it can't actually be used. So if you had Stockpile 1 at your farms, and it filtered down to Stockpile 15 or whatever at your dining room, you'd either have an army of busy haulers or a lot of starving, dehydrated dwarves. Not to mention a lot of unnecessary frame hits.