Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Waterbarrels  (Read 3049 times)

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
Waterbarrels
« on: December 23, 2008, 08:08:12 pm »

yeah topic says most of it

water can be stored in barrels, maybe a 5/7 per barrel. (so 5 units like in a booze barrel)

you can fill barrels with a job on a well, any dwarf with health care will fill a barrel and bring it to the food stock pile.

also can water barrels be imported.

dwarfs treat barrels as water with a little lower priority than wells and flowing river/brooks... so if no watersource around they take the water from the barrels. this helps with desert/glacier forts.

the water in the barrels will work normaly, so for ponds, pits, aquariums or resting and thirsty dwarfs. only instead of walking to the well they take the bucket to a waterbarrel.
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: Waterbarrels
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 08:11:56 pm »

water can be stored in barrels, maybe a 5/7 per barrel. (so 5 units like in a booze barrel)
That sounds a bit excessive.  A bucket used to fill a pond 1/7 will hold 10 servings of water.  5 booze=/=5/7 water.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 09:14:58 pm »

That sounds a bit excessive.  A bucket used to fill a pond 1/7 will hold 10 servings of water.  5 booze=/=5/7 water.

I have no idea what that means, but water should only be exportable importable if you live in an area without a brook or stagnant pools.

They should only be imported by metal barrel.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 09:27:45 pm »

The water-flow => water-drink conversion stuff is kind of wacky -- doesn't direct drinking from a pond reduce the level by 1/7 too?  The current ratios probably shouldn't be regarded as important or "canonical."

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 09:32:25 pm »

Water was often stored in wooden barrels for long journeys. The british navy would store water for months in wooden barrels only filling up every 4-6 months at a time.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2008, 01:52:48 am »

wood barrels are far better than zinc or lead barrels i think ;p

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2008, 05:30:29 am »

Nothing beats heavy metals in your drinking water!
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Apegrape

• Bay Watcher
  • Stop that, it's silly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2008, 06:38:44 am »

Nothing beats healthy minerals in your drinking water!
This is -ing good wood!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2008, 07:10:34 am »

nice...

wait, healthy minerals? or heavy metals?

I personally hate the fact that dwarves can live with rum stored in lead barrels.
I want to decimate my own people!
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Fist_Of_Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Shorer, Kobold Pimp cancels Work: Too Pimpin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2008, 12:52:57 pm »

nice...

wait, healthy minerals? or heavy metals?

Dude was making a tongue-in-cheek joke, dude.

You fail at humor.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2008, 01:30:07 pm »

Water was often stored in wooden barrels for long journeys. The british navy would store water for months in wooden barrels only filling up every 4-6 months at a time.

I'm fairly sure that it would taste disgusting by the fifth day, course that's why they came up with grog.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2008, 04:37:01 pm »

I'm fairly sure that it would taste disgusting by the fifth day, course that's why they came up with grog.
Have anyone here actually tasted water that's been stored in a barrel?  Anyway, beorn is correct in stating that wooden barrels were used for water.  It was cheaper than metal, and wooden barrels worked well enough for booze.  So if we can't have water in wooden barrels, we may as well not have wooden barrels at all.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2008, 09:47:24 pm »

What's bad for people may be really good for dwarfs, and since minute, trace amounts of lead are in pretty much *everything*, especially soil, then it's perfectly reasonable that lead (dissolved in rum, for ease of digestion) might be an important part of a dwarf's breakfast, possibly supplimenting their immune system, like vitamin C.

Dwarfs aren't humies! To give a few examples of the more well-known differences: They've got much denser bones, 2 livers, and their hair is actually strands of metal (gold, silver, copper, lead, cobalt, etc), produced by biological means.

I'm not mad...
For they would be your masters.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2008, 12:35:24 am »

But dwarves that drink from a water source consume an entire 1/7. Of course, I'm just arguing that point because that assumption is key to my tile size calculations. I figure that each 1/7 of water is roughly a month's worth of water, so that's my metric. The 10 units in each bucket are portions of the month's supply.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2008, 05:03:53 am »

one bucket of water also is enugh for a thirsty dwarf, they dont go with a 9/10 bucket to the next dwarf, its empty!
but beside the reallife physical fact: why is it possible to dig out a square of solid rock, build with the reamins a floor, destrcut the floor and build with the same rock again a solid wall? not everything in df is reallife metrics anyway.

but of course we need to import water, a resting dwarf in a dessert/glacier/tundra/frozen map in the first month is same as a clearly dead one.

and really: an expedition leader going to such a forsaken place would take some barrels of water with him to get through the first year until a caravan arrives or they found some other watersource (underground river, icemelting, etc.).
on the other hand as a caravan leader, i woud take some barrels of water into such a place, it sounds like profit, even if i just fill the barrels on the last brook before entering such a place.

and with the military arc you coud send out dwarfs with barrels to get to more or less distant watersources to get some fresh water.

so i see many reasons to implement water barrels as such.

Pages: [1] 2