Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: linux user  (Read 1298 times)

waldo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
linux user
« on: December 23, 2008, 07:53:05 pm »

hey I just recently switched to a dual boot linux/windows thingy, anyways i was wondering if it's possible to use dwarf fortress in linux, I have been using dwarf fortress now for a while but i loathed how i needed to go to my windows side every time i wanted to play it. also if there isn't already will there be a linux version of dwarf fortress coming out anytime soon?

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: linux user
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 08:41:19 pm »

There's been talk of a Linux version, but it hardly matters because, as long as you have semi-decent graphics drivers for your card, you should be able to run Dwarf Fortress perfectly well.

Simply install "Wine" either from http://winehq.org/ or from your repository (for instance, typing "sudo apt-get install wine" into a terminal.)

You should then be able to download, unzip and run Dwarf Fortress exactly as you would in Windows. You may have to right click on the executable and select running it in Wine from there.

corvvs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 10:10:48 pm »

From the talk of the new OpenGL optimization, it sounds like the next version will have a native Linux binary for certain, and there may even be a re-release of the current version with one soon.

The Black Prince

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008, 12:25:33 am »

I'm also a linux user (hardy ubuntu) and running with wine is straight forward and works great.

Then I messed up the world generator so I uninstalled and reinstalled and forgot how to run it with wine,
so strangely enough decided to just run the executable of Dwarf Fortress and bloody hell it works perfectly?!

waldo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2008, 01:24:54 am »

thankyou Tahin, corvvs, and the black prince, i tried what you guys said and it worked! surprisingly enough dwarf fortress was a big reason why I wasn't leaving windows for good (right up there with being able to do school) so i guess now i can enjoy linux and still play god with dwarf fortress. once again, thank you!

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2008, 02:28:44 am »

Yeah. Wine is amazing like that. It doesn't work for everything, but most good games that have been out for a while are at least mostly compatible.

Now just to figure out my graphics driver issues... Ah, the joy of Linux.

Also worth noting, if you're having any issues of any kind with OpenGL, such as windows showing through each other and weird flickering or distortion, try turning off Compiz, if you have it on. In Ubuntu, just go into "Appearance" in your preferences (under the System drop-down menu) and turn your visual effects to "None."

What distro are you using, anyway?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 02:31:48 am by Tahin »

waldo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2008, 01:17:29 pm »

Yeah. Wine is amazing like that. It doesn't work for everything, but most good games that have been out for a while are at least mostly compatible.

Now just to figure out my graphics driver issues... Ah, the joy of Linux.

Also worth noting, if you're having any issues of any kind with OpenGL, such as windows showing through each other and weird flickering or distortion, try turning off Compiz, if you have it on. In Ubuntu, just go into "Appearance" in your preferences (under the System drop-down menu) and turn your visual effects to "None."

What distro are you using, anyway?

my graphics are already set to no visual effects, i'm using ubuntu 8.04, i think it's hardy heron.

would you by any chance know how to look at the processes running, or even manage them somehow because my linux side seems to be running a bit slow when it comes to major usage, like dwarf fortress.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2008, 02:16:57 pm »

Yeah. Go into to your system>Administration menu, then click on System Monitor. You might want to drag it up to your task bar so you always have it available. Also, if you right click on one of the panels and select "Add to panel" you'll find a system monitor that shows graphs for CPU usage, hard disk activity, network usage, ram, etc. and also takes you to the system monitor when clicked. You can set it up so Ctrl+alt+delete brings it up using various hotkey applications, but in my experience this is completely unnecessary because Linux hardly ever freezes up completely, and when it does, standard input probably won't have any effect. At that point I'd suggest using Ctrl+Alt+Backspace, which logs you out and closes all open programs.

Another thing I'd suggest is going into your "Sessions" management, and look at what you have set to run at startup. Oftentimes you'll have a few things in there you'll never use.

waldo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2008, 09:50:53 pm »

once again, thank you tahin, i found the system monitor just fine, i wound up just changing the init file so that it only refreshes tiles that need to be refreshed. that helped a lot. but i did find a few programs with the system monitor that i could terminate and that helped a little. so thanks again!