Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: First fort stuff.  (Read 667 times)

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
First fort stuff.
« on: December 23, 2008, 10:30:09 am »

So! My first serious fortress, and my immigrant wave after 80 (kids bumped me over) contained my first pack o' nobles(usual Baron, Baroness Consort, Hammerer, Tax Collector, and a Dungeon Master to boot- I'd discovered underground pond and pit), enough to make the incoming baron a Count, and my first Urist. More on Urist later.

While these nobles and bunches of not-so-useful dwarves were filtering in, while I fretted that I hadn't constructed a noble-disposal means yet, a dragon! appeared, the first megabeast attack! However, waiting a little, nothing seemed to be happening. I zoomed to the creature, and it happened to be missing its right forelimb- and was unconscious. As my DM had just arrived, I resolved to use a few recruits to herd it into my secondary entrance where some cage traps were waiting. It killed the first two (The first was superdwarvenly tough :(), but it was killed by a stonefall trap. One stonefall trap, loaded with obsidian, when it had no other wounds when it came here. I was unimpressed and disappointed, but then I thought of making some Dragon soap. Unfortunately, I wasn't paying close enough attention to get to the Kitchen menu to remove Dragon Tallow from the cook list before some fool of a dwarfcook put it in biscuits with prickle berries. Shame.

Unfortunately, both of my deathtraps operated on the principle one needed to stand next to a lever rather than on it, so one failed, as they wouldn't stand on the grate that disappeared. (The other, with a spike trap full of steel spikes next to it, worked with a little timing of additional pull jobs, and disposed of all but the DM. The count had already grown impatient and mandated adamantine item production.

Later, a bunch of goblins ambushed with the dwarven caravan and showed me how woefully defended my fort was, and how far afield my dwarves went, taking out an old metalcrafter who was missing an eye but had healed all else (occasionally fell unconscious, suspending/cancelling whatever she was doing, annoying) and another dozen or so, the caravan helped rout them once they really got in. A hunter-turned-marksdwarf showed me the value of range, managing to pierce both lungs and heart of an armored hammergob. All those who sustained wounds died, save for that peasant Urist Kekimadil- Urist "Splatteredwalls". This means I lost, unfortunately, one of my legendary miners- thankfully I have no gems waiting, so I can train up another.

Annoying how one can't designate whose coffin is whose postmortem.

The Dungeon Master is speeding up my smelting a great deal, even if I have to use wood for it. She gets a nice obsidian-and-electrum (Both preferred by her) tower for her needs, and artifact furniture.

On that note, first artifact was a prase opal coffin. The later artifacts usually have an image of it upon them, to my amusement.

Now for the puzzlers. An engraver- well, a few engravers- are engraving images of things they absolutely detest(For one, cave spiders, another fire snakes). Is this normal?

Is there a list of exotic pets anywhere? The wiki has a list of vermin that shows which are actually DM-tamable, but I can't find any general listing.

I appear to have thousand+ seeds, plants, and meals. Perhaps this is why some dwarves have been dumping plants in the ditch, or allowing them to wither (All harvest: on)...or perhaps it was moving the ores around that stopped them. A minor annoyance.

An alligator spawned kiddies. It's not on the unit list, though, which means I have an underground river somewhere...

(Whee, session timeout. *praises browser for keeping post*)
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: First fort stuff.
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 02:22:35 pm »

Annoying how one can't designate whose coffin is whose postmortem.

you sort of can.  if all your dead dwarfs are burried, you can make sure there is only one free coffin available and then un-build the coffin of the dwarf you want to moved.  he will then be moved into the only free coffin.

Annoying Now for the puzzlers. An engraver- well, a few engravers- are engraving images of things they absolutely detest(For one, cave spiders, another fire snakes). Is this normal?

yeah.

Annoying Is there a list of exotic pets anywhere? The wiki has a list of vermin that shows which are actually DM-tamable, but I can't find any general listing.

you can search the raws for "exotic" though i havent seen a precomipled list anywhere.