Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Seven Cities of Glass - Community fortress - Map Available  (Read 4212 times)

DFNewb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Seven Cities of Glass - Community fortress - Map Available
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2008, 10:13:36 pm »

well we are aloud to expand right?  ::)

if we can just keep on making mine a bigger square with layers of walls!
Reasonableman playing Batman: Arkham Asylum
Luke_Prowler : Boot: apply directly to the forehead

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2008, 11:26:04 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My spot. Just north of the embark location. Just dump all my stuff there, erect a wall, and have me dig straight down. Then I want my character to make himself some living quarters (dining hall, bedroom, etc.), some farms, and a workshop area; then have him do some digging and/or channelling so that he can access the river and the volcano from his space.

Like this (side view):

Long story short, I want my little section to be in the middle of the area, and have: sand, living space, workshop area, farms, magma, and water. (if possible, a magma mixing chamber to give me unlimited obsidian, and I can make swords to trade people)

Oh, and are we allowed to trade with the other dwarves in the area? And what are we doing about immigrants? Are we allowed to import stuff from the trading caravans? Is there going to be any sparring between us to get some combat training (if it's necessary at all)?
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2008, 09:35:10 am »

That design will cause the pressure to flood your fortress. Unless you want

Okay, here are the rules:

Trading between fortresses is allowed. Simply come to an agreement and PM me. Every member in said agreement must send me a PM of the agreement. Trading with caravans is different. Basically, you give me stuff and you get "credit" equal to its value. You can then spend credit on whatever stuff you want from the caravan, which will be delivered to you.

Immigrants will be equally distributed. I list the current unclaimed immigrants and you claim them, first come first serve. To keep things fair, each person can only claim one immigrant at a time for now, and has to wait until everybody else has claimed one too before claiming another. This process will be sped up when there are enough immigrants. A married couple counts as two immigrants so you can claim them and simply not claim another in the next wave. Kids and pets are free. Hopefully you understand what I mean.

The sparring will be in-fortress only, of course.

Also, you can expand however you want, but not into another fortress. We've got three out of six positions... Also, you can have moats instead of walls if you want to.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2008, 12:04:48 pm »

I'd like to start here:

I'm not sure if that's 5x5, but I basically just want to dig into the hill there to start.  I'll make a room on the right for farming (once you hit the sand) and sand collection and then start going down.  Workshops on the left, housing on the right with the dining room and major stockpiles in the middle.  When there's more than just me I'd like a tunnel dug to the magma, like most other people have been saying. 
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2008, 06:11:17 pm »

Right-o!  Eventually I should have walls on the inner side of the moat made from what ever is the most common stone.  The way into the moat should look like this:

Code: [Select]
+________________________
+__+++++__+++++___+++++__
<DD+++++GG+++++GG+++++GG
<DD+++++GG+++++GG+++++GG
<DD+++++GG+++++GG+++++GG
+__+++++__+++++___+++++__
+________________________

+=floor of any type.
<DD=drawbridge raising towards my fort.
_=dry channel.
G=retractable bridge.

This is the basis of my defense.  Not by simply sealing it away, but by acting a funnel for enemies and giving me time to gather my forces (and maybe have traps).
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2008, 08:12:28 am »

I'd like to dig into the side of the embark hill near the river.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2008, 12:24:24 pm »

Okay, about the pressure thing... magma doesn't have pressure, because it's a 'chunky' liquid, and for the water, I'll just have two water rooms and some floodgates. So it goes...

_   ___   ____    __
 ~~  _|  |_   |~
 ~~ |  ☼   |  |~|
 ~~ |  __  |_ |~|
 ~~~~| |~X~~|

_  = ground
|  =wall
~  = magma/lava
~  =river/water
☼  = me
X  = floodgate
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2008, 12:27:42 pm »

Here's my embarking thingy. The brown bit is the farm plot, the green bits are a drawbridge over a trench and the outline of the rooms I'm going to excavate. The < should be a >. The yellow bits are the walls of a fortification I want to build, and the blue is channel. Oh, and I'm going to want to remove the ramps...

In the floor below I'm going to setup a masons and a mechanics, a food stockpile and a bedroom. Also I'm going to dig into that pond to make some soil wet. Oh, and I'll want to build a still too.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 02:36:25 pm by Glacies »

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2008, 01:33:43 pm »

Here's my embarking thingy. The brown bit is the farm plot, the green bits are a drawbridge over a trench and the outline of the rooms I'm going to excavate. The < should be a >. The yellow bits are the walls of a fortification I want to build, and the blue is channel. Oh, and I'm going to want to remove the ramps...

In the floor below I'm going to setup a masons and a mechanics, a food stockpile and a bedroom. Also I'm going to dig into that pond to make some soil wet. Oh, and I'll want to build a still too.

You forgot to put in the actual embarking thingy...

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2009, 02:13:49 pm »

I'm starting to wonder if they other people who signed up have forgotten all about this. And seriously Glacies, put you picture on your post. That's like calling yourself " " the dog.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2009, 02:16:29 pm »

I was considering bumping, but you saved me the bother.

I'll PM the people who haven't posted their requests yet. Glacies.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 02:18:06 pm by Boksi »

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2009, 02:37:31 pm »

Technical error, gorammit! It's up now.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2009, 02:44:40 pm »

Right then, I'll just go ahead and...

The Personal Diary of Soda, Competition Overseer

-1st Granite, 201

COMPETITION OVERSEER?! FUUUUUCCCCKKKK!!!

FUCK! FUCK FUCK FUCKING FUCK! FUCKFUCK THE MOTHERFUCKING FUCKING FUCK-FUCK OF FUCKS!

COMPETITION OVERSEER?!

Okay, let's calm down a little. Just a little, deep breath in, deep breath out. Deep breath in, deep breath out. Okay.

COMPETITION OVERSEER?!

Let's see how this could have happened... I don't remember much of anything over the last few days. That is very suspicious. Furthermore, I am inside a wagon in the middle of nowhere. And not even a very pretty looking nowhere, there's a load of dead trees here and the area in general doesn't look very healthy at all. Also, what sort of fucking cheap diary has this small pages?

-2nd Granite, 201

Okay, it's still the first of Granite, but I'm continuing on the second page.

There's a bunch of dwarves with me, and they're all loonies. I guess we have to be to enroll in this... competition, which will take years and probably lives too.

First, there's Nim. She's a bit... above it all. She's talking about things like strawberries and sunshine and puppies and rainbows. While we're surrounded by dead trees in the buttcrack of nowhere.

Then there's Shoruke. He seems like a solid and ambitious, if somewhat unsympathetic dwarf AT FIRST. But he's also convinced that, in fact, we're all being controlled by an ancient human conspiracy. Hah. Like those too-talls could control us.

Next up is Robin. He's a young, naive dwarf, full of arrogance. He's the sanest one here, probably saner than me, but must've been easily duped into this competition with promises of riches and glory.

Then there's, well, he insist that everybody call him Fuzzy Cuddly Bear. I have no idea why. Sometimes he's depressed, verging on suicidal, and then

-3rd Granite, 201

he's suddenly leaping with joy and energy and working five times as fast as a normal dwarf. WEIRD. He also insists on being referred to as "The Great One", which is just further proof of how crazy we all are because we actually do. OH GOD, I CONSIDER MYSELF ONE OF THEM! KILL ME NOW STETTAD!

Ahem.

LegoLord ties with FCB for the weirdest name of the bunch. She insists on being referred to as "The Evil Overlord". I don't find her that evil, she's really rather reclusive and shy. Although I guess I could imagine her building some massive death-dealing machine in the hidden recesses of a dark cavern, but most dwarves could fit in that.

Finally, there's Umbar. He's a very distant person, even when you're having a conversation with him it's like you're sending letters. He also likes being around all these dead trees, which is a bit... off-putting, to say the least.

I also have this pamphlet with me. Didn't notice that before. I think I'll read it and then try to figure out how to fix this mess.

-4th Granite, 201

It's actually only the 2nd and I've got a plan. First, we dig a ditch so those abominable trees won't get to us. Next we strike the earth and make ourself a shelter. I've told the others to do that while I ponder. For some reason someone decided that leaving Robin on the other side of the ditch would be funny. The cats all ran away, too, lured by the fireflies. I'll eventually have to retrieve them, but for now we'll be trying to survive. Then we'll see about this competition.

I hope you like what I've written. You can influence the story too.

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2009, 03:27:51 pm »

Oh man. Sooo glad I checked this one again. First journal entries up, and I'm amused already.

Looking forward to more.  :D

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2009, 04:38:15 pm »

Agreed.  This is looking good so far.  Also, great choice of dwarf for LegoLord.  Thanks!
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5