Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Seven Cities of Glass - Community fortress - Map Available  (Read 4211 times)

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
Seven Cities of Glass - Community fortress - Map Available
« on: December 23, 2008, 09:32:36 am »

Since Plank of Wood thought he couldn't, I think I can! I'm going to make a community fortress, but not just any sort of community fortress! It'll be glassmaking, city-states community fortress!

The rest of the poster had been torn down.

Roster:

Umbar(Maggarg)
Nim(Glacies)
LegoLord, The Evil Emperor(LegoLord)
Fuzzy Cuddly Bear, The Great One(DF newb)
Robin(Bluerobin427)
Shoruke(shoruke)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 07:13:44 pm by Boksi »
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
Re: Seven Cities of Glass - Community fortress(sign up open)
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 10:08:41 am »

Umbar, a male brewer.
He would like a bag of plump helmet spawn, and sweet pod and pigtail seeds. a block or two of wood wouldn't go amiss either.
He rather likes the sea and dead trees.
He used to have a "Kill the whales" plate on the back of a cart he owned when he was young.
Oh, a pick and some food wouldn't go amiss.
Not sure how much things cost, so feel free to allocate things within reasonable qualities.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 11:57:40 am by Maggarg - Eater of chicke »
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 10:18:21 am »

Nim, grower/herbalist

I'm going to grow strawberries, sunberries and pig tails. Eventually I'll weave clothing as my craft type thingy. I'll start with pig-tail seeds and a dog. and gimmie a pick for digging stuff out.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 10:30:20 am »

Unless otherwise specified, I'll give all dwarves max skill and distribute it as equally as possible between all skills and all skill lists will include glassmaking.

If you don't want to though, I can remove the glassmaking requirement.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 11:00:34 am »

No, no, I simply must have a glassmaking dwarf with some of the . . . darker . . . personality traits.  He should also be a planter/miner/mechanic.  He brings with him a pick, 20 units of booze, 10 plump helmet spawn, 5 pig tail seed, 10 turtle, and 8 pieces of bauxite.  I don't care where we settle, as long as there's iron and flux.  You can cut back on booze and plump helmet spawn a bit if there's not enough points to get the turtle and bauxite.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

DFNewb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 11:05:11 am »

this sounds epic!

I would like a dwarf name him Fuzzy Cuddly Bear
give him Novice miner, Competent furnace Operator, Novice Mechanic, Competent Grower, Novice Brewer, and novice glassmaker.
that is 56 points so far.
290-56=234 so I would like 34 plump helmet spawns(200 left), 1 copper pick (180 left), 21 donkey meat (138 left), 2 war dogs (76 left), 5 of each type of booze (36 points left), 2 tower-cap logs (30 points left), and 3 tower-cap barrels (0 points left).

give him the custom Profession name "The Great One"

also I would like it if there is no aquafiler where we settle.   
Reasonableman playing Batman: Arkham Asylum
Luke_Prowler : Boot: apply directly to the forehead

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 11:14:25 am »

Oh, right, I need a name. My dude is LegoLord, The Evil Emperor.  Finally I'm in charge!  I second no aquifer.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 11:52:40 am »

I'd like a go at this.  Name's Robin.  I'll bring a pick, 6 each of 4 of the cheapest meats, about 30 booze (a variety's nice), some plump helmets, some cave wheat seed, and pig tail seeds.  Also 2 war dogs and 2 cats.  I really have no idea how much that'll all cost, but I don't need many seeds and the pets are a must!  If there are leftover points, dump them in planting.

I'm ok with or without an aquifer, but I'd like there to be goblins and preferably as much aggressive wildlife as possible.  ;D

And finally, how is this going to run?  I'm not really getting how the separation's going to happen... unless we're all walled off at some point.  And migrants/nobles?  Is there a thread this is referring to that I just missed out on?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 12:01:36 pm by Bluerobin427 »
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2008, 12:05:54 pm »

I'll detail that once this is set up, k?

This'll probably get going after Christmas, but who knows, maybe I'll manage to get this set up first.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2008, 12:09:47 pm »

Ok thanks  :)

I realized (going back and reading it now) that you sound like you've got it figured out  ;D
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2008, 12:11:57 pm »

It's aaaalllll in mah head.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2008, 12:55:07 pm »

I'm the last one! And I'm assuming that there's no 'community anvil' that we all get to share at the start, since there's so many points each...

Name: Shoruke

Skills: (sheesh you mean I have to look up how much stuff actually COSTS?)
-Maxed out Glassmaker (proficient): 35 points
-1 each in furnace operation, mechanics, wood burning, potash making, and mining: 25 points

Items:
-1 cat: 11 points
-9 plump helmet spawn: 9 points
-4 pig tail seeds: 4 points
-30 units of dwarven beer: 60 points
-1 copper pickaxe: 20 points
-5 turtles: 10 points
-5 tower-cap logs: 15 points
-10 tanned cat leather: 50 points
Put the rest of my 50 points into meat and fish, 1 at a time, and only get ones that cost 2☼ or 4☼. I get the barrels =P

Location: As long as we have a volcano, I think an aquifer is just fine. I think we should have the volcano in the center of the map, and then we can all tunnel into it from the direction of our respective towers. And if there's an aquifer, we can just dig through the obsidian near the volcano to get into our fortresses, and then use the aquifer for fishing and well water.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2008, 01:33:37 pm »

Right. Rules, information, etc. is coming up shortly; that is, within a few hours. Feel free to argue about starting positions in the meanwhile.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2008, 02:08:05 pm »

Aright, this is how it goes!

In the middle of the map there will eventually be a trading post. It will be 15 by 15 and is considered to be on all z-levels.

Everyone picks a spot they like and claim it for their fortress entrance. It is 5 by 5 squares and can be anywhere on the map except the trade depot or magma vent. No entrance may overlap each other.

Then just tell me what they want to build. Fortresses may expand in any direction, in any way and with any material, with the only rules that they may never intersect, unless both players agree to build an airlock between each other to facilitate trading. Furthermore, all players must have some access to the magma vent and trade depot.

At first, you probably ought to just make some stockpiles for your stuff, a bedroom and find a way to feed yourself. But eventually...

That's all you'll need for now. More instructions will come later. If nobody objects, I'll begin my search for an area with no aquifer and sand, with a side smattering of another evil, aquifered area.

EDIT: Also, yes, you will be sectioned off from the rest, by whatever means you wish, but you will be sectioned off.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 02:42:28 pm by Boksi »

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: Seven Cities of Glass - Community fortress(no spots left)
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2008, 07:31:34 pm »

Dibs on an entrance off the aquifer with a pre-exposed vein of valuable (iron, copper, or gold) metal, some bauxite, and subterranean soil.  Specifics when we know what it looks like.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 08:30:39 pm by LegoLord »
Just so I remember
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5