Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Channeledwanes - The Undead Mountain  (Read 4349 times)

chonger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Channeledwanes - The Undead Mountain
« on: December 22, 2008, 04:35:29 pm »

Shorast Anan, "The Wire of Night", was a dwarven civilization of The Everlasting Land.

Shorast Anan was ruled by Queen Fikod Mineswords. This was the homeland of Eric the Dwarf, the founder of Channeledwanes. In 197, The Wire of Night was hit by a hard recession. Eric the Dwarf, despite being a Proficient Architect (and a Novice Organizer/Negotiator/Liar/Judge of Intent/Appraiser), was out of a job. "This is horrible!" Eric lamented, "With the housing market in the gutters, what am I to do?" The prospect of having to move back with his parents and living in an above-ground house was unbearable to Eric. He needed a drink to get through the day... badly.

Eric returned to find his home in disarray, which would not be unusual for dwarves except for footprints the size of elephants. All of his possessions were destroyed; The only item of valuable was looted:

Eric was crushed. He had no job and no booze. He was tired of living in a dwarf fortress that, for a hundred years, has not been able to catch a water tower sized thief. So Eric gathered every credit card application that was sent to him that week, took out a loan large enough to start a new kingdom (MastercraftCard - Our motto is: No job? No net worth? No problem!), and set out north to the promised land in the beautiful mountains of Teeth of Frothing:

If Eric's understanding of geology was right, the Teeth of Frothing would be a place with delicious Sunberries, mysterious Mountain Gnomes, maybe even Unicrons!

But before Eric can embark, he needs a hardy group of volunteers to join him, preferably the 6 dwarves would all be born one minute apart from each other.

The starting seven complete:

• Miner/Mason - Strife - Female
  • Miner/Mechanic - Coolhat - Female
  • Miner/Stonecrafter - Maggarg - Male
  • Farmer - Robin - Male
  • Carpenter/Cook - Keldor -Male
  • Woodcutter/Brewer - Rimtar - Female
  • Fearless Leader - Eric - Male (we think)

Future dwarves will be added to the Census of Channeledwanes.

Let me know your name, gender (if preferred), and profession.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 10:35:04 am by chonger »

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Channeledwanes - The Undead Mountain
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 06:43:39 pm »

Strife had always been good with his hands. The son of a noted Crossbowdwarf (one of the last of the old guard, before everything went south), Strife had always loved fidling with the mechanisms on his mother's bow. He resigned to be a mechanic, with the hope of getting  to build complex machines, like the bastilla, or even just a couple of crossbows. With the economy as it was though, he was forced into mining and crafting useless stone toys on the side. Why does a toy axe matter?
Even the avatars expire eventually.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 09:04:22 pm »

It'd appear that Strife wants the miner/mechanic, so I'll take the miner/mason under the name of Coolhat. You see, Coolhat was called such because everyone was waaay jealous of his artifact hat, The Rough Yodels of Axes, crafted from felsite, adorned with hanging rings of gold, and menacing with copper spikes. This thing was stellar. Until that freakin giant stole his hat. He couldn't stand to live in the Mountainhomes, his name was empty if he didn't have his hat. It felt like people were mocking him when they said his name, and so he fled.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 09:06:32 pm by sonerohi »
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

chonger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 10:13:50 pm »

Historical Society of Shorast Anon, 19th of Granite, 1305

The Historical Society of Shorast Anon was able to recover the following pages from the Census of Channeledwanes. They appear to reference two of the seven founders of that [in]famous city.

OOC

Coincidentally, it appears the two of you are lovers.

Edit: Made the heading for HSSA consistent w/ other entries.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 09:43:39 pm by chonger »

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 11:22:44 pm »

But.. you list them as both female? (Is horribly and utterly disturbed by the inner mechanics and desires of Toady ones mind).
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

chonger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 12:49:03 am »

OOC: Holy crap. I want some of what I was smoking... I had assigned you to the Stonecrafter. Fixed... Now you are the Miner/Mason.

Historic Society of Shorast Anon, 19th of Granite, 1305 -

It turns out the the new apprentice to the society was not sufficiently drunk when interpreting the recovered census pages. The correct translation of the lost pages for Coolhat are:

« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 10:51:02 am by chonger »

chonger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 01:25:58 am »

History of Channeledwanes, 1st of Slate, 1 (202 Emalina)

Today is a truly legendary day! After 5 years of long journey west, today marks the arrival of The Connected Board to the beautiful hillsides of the Teeth of Frothing! I do not want to toot our own collective horns, but I believe dwarves of the future will think of today as the start of a new Age. The seven brave dwarves of The Connected Boards will be forever remembered in engraved rocks and arts. We shall strike the earth and carve out the foundations for a grand fortress. According to the Elven map I have, the name of this land is "Cirethi-Asithi", meaning "Wild-Joy". I will give this land a propert Dwarven name of "Cattenlelum", or "Channeledwanes", in the Old Tongue.

I have sent our farmer to scout for local elves, in hope of obtaining some of their Sunberries. When he returns, we shall brew up some "Frothy" Sunberry wine.

Edit: Made heading for History of Cattenlelum consistent.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 09:44:01 pm by chonger »

chonger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 01:33:31 am »

Personal Journal of Eric the Architect, 1st of Slate, year 202.

Despite the hardship we endured, I've finally led my dwarves to our new home. By the way, I named us The Connected Board. I explained to the dwarves that we are connected like pieces on a chess board. The symbolism of our name should reinforce the sense of teamwork between the dwarves (I read about this in a book on leadership once).

This team of dwarves has been very difficult to work with. They are nothing like the legendary dwarves of Nist Akath and Kulettogum. Nevertheless, I was able to keep them together, keep our group focused, taking it one day at a time to reach our goal. After all, I am a Novice Organizer! I guess I am just naturally good at facilitating communication and mentoring dwarves. They are a grumbling lot, but a good leader must be able lead any dwarf!

It took 5 years for us to get here - It turns out that Strife, our so called "navigator", was only associated with rangers by birth. She has the nerve to insist that she had warned me about not being a ranger (there are no official records of such warning). Besides, she should know very well that my attention must be focused on the more important matter of leadership, not petty details. I really wish she found us a ranger when she realized her deficiencies. I will make sure she learns from this mistake.

I was disappointed that we have yet to see any elves or unicorns here at the Teeth. I heard that the Elves are a shy lot. Perhaps they are hiding and observing us from a distance. After all, I believe we are the first dwarves to ever travel this far west. They must simply be afraid of us because they've never seen our kind before. I've sent our farmer out to hail the elves (not without a lot of grumbling from him). I eagerly wait for good news.

Edit: Made heading consistent.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 10:18:57 pm by chonger »

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2008, 06:17:58 am »

Personal Journal of Eric the Architect, 1st of Slate, year 202.

This team of dwarves has been very difficult to work with. They are nothing like the legendary dwarves of Nist Akath and Kulettogum.

Ahahahahah.
Aha.
ha.
Organised and manageable?
Abbeyverse?
If that's good, how awful must your dwarves be?
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2008, 09:49:25 am »

Keldor was once an apprentice chef at the fortress of Külettogum, but lost his job as a result of the food surplus crisis.  Not wishing to go back forever to his former job as carpenter, and certainly not wishing to be forced to live in the dreaded peasants' quarters, he struck out across the swamp to seek a new life.

By some miracle, he escaped from the mire unharmed, and before long, heard rumors of a group of dwarves planning to set out to found a new fortress.  Deciding that such a group would undoubtedly need a chef, not to mention a furniture maker for the early months, Keldor sought them out and joined.

Keldor loves cooking, especially using exotic meats and spices, and dreams of learning the art of cheese making.
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2008, 10:05:18 am »

Maggarg is a very elderly and grumpy miner. Likewise from Kulettogum, he was an administrator for a year, and hated it. Now on the list again, he wants a damn holiday, preferably in a dry place so his rheumatism doesn't play up.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2008, 12:08:15 pm »

I'll take the farmer (name's Robin).  Sorry I'm not really creative today or I'd come up with some backstory about how he's from a backwater little village, has always liked farming and recently he's wanted to try growing the more exotic (to dwarves, anyway) surface plants.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

chonger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2008, 09:13:16 pm »

1st of Slate, 202.

Rimtar can't believe she spent the last five years wandering The Everlasting Land just to strike the earth at this forsaken place! The Teeth was no mountain of gold like Eric described. There were no outcropping of gems and platinum. No flowing river of ale. No cats to slaughter for food. As a matter of fact, there was nothing. The dwarves of the Connected Board have not seen another living creature since they've started to cross the jagged ridges of the Teeth. This land was just... empty.

At night, the dwarves were haunted by dreadful dreams. When the sun has set, a chorus of deep gurgles and dry cracking sounds rose in its place. Eric explained that this land is home to the mountain gnomes. They were most likely hearing the far off songs of the gnomes. Songs or not, they brought the dwarves nightmares of death and carnage. As they closed in on their new home, the gnome songs seemed to grow closer. When Eric finally declared that they have arrived, the first thing Rimtar did was plead with the other dwarves to erect a defensive parameter around their first tunnel. Eric was mildly annoyed with Rimtar's paranoia, but did not object that much; His attention was occupied elsewhere.

To the north, hugging the feet of the hills was a thick expanse of Highwood and Cedar, a forest that seemed as old as time itself. It was no doubt the forest retreat they (Eric) had been seeking. Eric had sent Robin into the forest to look for Elves, and hopefully bring back some Sunberries to replenish their supplies.

chonger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2008, 09:20:25 pm »

Personal Journal of Eric the Architect, 12th of Slate, year 202.

I was disappointed by the lack of conviction in my fellow dwarves. Despite my motivational speeches and the all the booze I've pumped into them, the dwarves decided to start napping on the job. It's only been 11 days of straight labor since we started work on building our new home.

Keldor was the first one to fall asleep - on the job even! I was particularly disappointed by Keldor, an immigrant from the famed fortress of Külettogum. I had assigned him to carpentry when he told me he "does not wish to go back to his former job as a carpenter".

"You were a carpenter, you say? That's perfect!" I exclaimed, "We are in need of someone who can make beds and barrels!" He had the strangest expression on his face when I told him that. I could not understand why he cried and pouted so much! Keldor blithered on and on about how even the sight of a saw would remind him of the "death and tragedy at Külettogum". I told him he was wrong. The Külettogum I read about was a beautiful fortress with awesome architecture. I told him to stop hallucinating and go make us some beds. 

... And where is that damned Robin? How hard is it to find an Elf in a forest?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 10:52:07 am by chonger »

chonger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2008, 10:13:31 pm »

Historical Society of Shorast Anon, 19th of Granite, 1305

More pages regarding the founding members of Channeledwanes have been translated.

OOC: Slight spoiler here.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 09:44:34 pm by chonger »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5