Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Channeledwanes - The Undead Mountain  (Read 4346 times)

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
Re: Channeledwanes - The Undead Mountain
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2008, 07:13:05 am »

Eric gave the humans some rubbish today. I'm sure that they wuz brighter than that last time ah had ter deal wi' them.
hmmm. Some o' that rubbish looked awful crafty if ye get mah drift.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

chonger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2008, 06:09:22 pm »

OOC: Eric keeps giving away Maggar's stone crafts... actually. Will Maggar tolerate it, or will he go insane and tear down the fort with his bare hands? Hmm.....

chonger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2008, 09:47:17 pm »

8th of Timber, Late Summer of 202

Strife took Adil Mothgilt out to a clearing in the Old Forest (credit to Rimtar's deforestation efforts). With a wave of her hand, Maggarg declared: "Here, you will see my latest invention!"

Adil scratched her head. "Oooo...kay....  I don't see anything. I'm sorry to tell you, Strife, but there is nothing but nothing out here."

"Quite the opposite my dear Mothgilt, often the most obvious thing is the least observable. For example, I shall point out to you the skeletal giant eagle above us. It seems like you have forgotten to look up."

It was surely above the two dwarves. Its wings were tucked in, its eyes were blazing with hate. It was diving towards the dwarves with the speed of a steel bolt. Adil let out a loud screech and dashed madly towards the fortress. Hungering for the fear oozing from Adil, the eagle zoomed towards her. Its talons were extended and opened now, ready tear the poor dwarf to ribbons.

Adil heard a loud woosh! Then a horrible screech. She stumbled and fell. She was sure she'd be dead when she heard the maniacal laugh of Strife. Adil turned around and saw a strange sight. A giant hand, attached to springs, had reached out of the ground and seized the skeletal eagle. It is now pulling it back into the earth. There were rumbles and tumbles once the eagle had been pulled under the earth. Then a loud pop, and a wooden cage, containing a shaking undead was spat out of the earth. It landed right next to Adil.

For the first time in its death, the undead eagle was too scared to move.

"I call it the Strife-o-matic 2000c", Strife announced, "Thank you for helping me with a successful test! I wasn't sure if the mechanism to distinguish dwarves from foes would work!"

The fortress threw a big party for Strife the Great Mechanic that night. Adil would never stop shaking after the incident.

chonger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2008, 01:21:19 am »

9th of Timber, Late Summer of 202

Worst Birthday Ever - Starring Adil the Dwarf and Sċkzul the Evil Provisioner

chonger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2008, 02:26:50 am »

Personal Journal of Eric the Architect, 26th of Timber, year 202.

Good news is that Strife caught a skeletal giant eagle. The bad news is that it seems to have really pissed off the other undeads. A skeletal giant eagle flew right into our great hall today. It tore off the right arm of Eral and poked out his right eye before being struck down by Bëmbul Riddledcrafted. I asked Sċkzul where we kept the other skeletal eagle. She told me it was at a safe location - I think this is one of those "small details" a fearless leader should not be bothered with.

chonger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 31, 2008, 02:38:26 am »

9th of Opal, Early Summer of 203

Maggarg threw another party today, presumably to help the dwarves get over the unfortunate attack on Eral.

chonger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 31, 2008, 03:19:01 am »

Ducim Axepuzzles gave birth to a baby girl today. She and Oddom named their daughter "Zon".

I think this is a good day to update the Census, we're up to 36 dwarves.

• Strife, Female, Miner/Mechanic
  • Coolhat, Female, Miner/Mason
  • Robin, Male, Farmer
  • Maggarg, Male, Miner/Stonecrafter
  • Keldor, Male, Carpenter/Cook
  • Rimtar, Female, Woodcutter/Brewer
  • Eric, Male, Architect
  • Goden Boardclutch, Female, Mason/Carpenter
  • Sarvesh Lashedprison, Male, Carpenter
  • Vabôk Wingslings, Male, Hurt
  • Momuz Febgosmer, Female, Bone Carver
  • Dumed Wheelclub, Male, Hauler
  • Adil Mothgilt, Female, Hauler
  • Alath Scouredworks, Male, Furnace Operator
  • Kumil Packedtrades, Male, Blacksmith
  • Minkot Priceknives, Female, Legendary Gem Setter
  • Zan Lobsternet, Male, Weaver
  • Mosus Anvilpulls, Male, Stone Crafter
  • Alath Manorswallows, Female, Bone Carver
  • Bim Crystalsunk, Male, Bone Carver
  • Lor Gearcradled, Male, Clothier
  • Dodok Slingyells, Female, Leatherworker
  • Kosoth Questlabor, Female, Thresher
  • Eral Facerelics, Female, Hurt
  • Kulet Planpainted, Male, Miller
  • Ducim Axepuzzles, Female, Thresher
  • Zon Spunwhips, Female, Baby
  • Oddom Authorroof, Male, Brewer
  • Udib Speakmirrored, Female, Dyer
  • Melbil Glazedwill, Female, Wood Burner
  • Bëmbul Riddledcrafted, Female, Miner
  • Monom Boatscreed, Female, Marksdwarf
  • Zon Romanticglazes, Female, Champion Wrestler
  • Adil Trumpetdwelled, Female, Butcher
  • Tekkud Cryptfamous, Female, Manager
  • Sċkzul Fenceclenched, Female, Beancounter

chonger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 31, 2008, 03:20:57 pm »

1st of Slate, 3 Channeledwanes

The fort grows! We put the bedrooms to good use. Two architectural masterpieces were designed by Eric the Architect - they shall be complete sometimes this year. The last year was celebrated with many parties from Maggarg (three). Our clothing industry is finally up and running. Trading is much easier now with pig tail and stone craft exports.

Sċkzul mandated that military equipment be put on indefinite hold. Her calculations show that it is more cost efficient to train dwarves than to arm them.

This next year will be a glorious year!

chonger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 31, 2008, 03:22:49 pm »

23rd of Felsite, Late Spring of 204

Tholtig Floorsnake stalked quietly into the forge and threw down a large bundle. She grabbed the armorer by the collar and threw him clear across the room. "Out!", she declared, with emphasis on the "I will kill you if you don't do what I say" part. Tholtig then locked the dwarves out of the forge.

Tholtig would not leave the forge for days. Her only response to offers of booze was the thunderous roar of the bellows. When she finally came out, she was weak and dehydrated. In her arms, cradled in a pig tail bundle, she carried an extraordinary iron spear.

The head of the spear had a strange black-brown hue - Tholtig had infused her blood into the artifact.

Tholtig would later tell the dwarves that she never intended to leave the forge alive - she had just wanted to complete The Entrancing Harshness.

"Please," Tholtig begged her friends, "Do not let them find out about it. It's our only hope!"
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 03:27:14 pm by chonger »

chonger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 31, 2008, 04:59:37 pm »

That's funny - It seems like my wolf gave birth in the midst of being tamed/in her cage (note that the pups are not tamed).

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 31, 2008, 06:33:00 pm »

Hmm... If you were to release them all, would they start fighting each other?

"Aye," Keldor said to Maggarg, "I don't be liken' elves more'n the next dwarf, but their sunberries be fine fer brewin' indeed!  Why, just the other day, I snuck into the carpenter shop te make some new barrels, just for makin sunshine with."

"Hah," Maggarg laughed, "Back in me day we had naught but plump helmet wine an' quarry bush roasts.  Ye know why they be called quarry bushes, don't ye?"

"Of course!"  Kelder answered, "Because they be so tough that eatin' them be like eatin' stone out of a quarry!  Still, a touch of quarry bush makes fer a nice zing, ye just have to make sure ye boil them in ale first.  Anyway, we have some fine drinks now, what do ye say ye round up the lads an we throw a party?"

"I say that's a great idea!"  Maggarg roared, "I fancy we could be doin' some eagle-baitin' te celebrate!"

*Maggarg has thrown a party at the (+Skeletal Giant Eagle cage+)*
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

chonger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 01, 2009, 06:48:27 pm »

Hmm... If you were to release them all, would they start fighting each other?

I think this calls for...

Eric The Architect cancels being a miserable little dwarf: Taken by mood.
Eric The Architect is taken by a fey mood!

Eric draws a picture of dwarves...
Eric draws a picture of globlins and various monsters...
Eric draws a bloody room...
Eric keeps muttering Alnisedir Angzaknashonrċsh Anam, "Wardungeon the Terrible Bloody Death of Ages"...

We need a coliseum. This is the design of a coliseum that fits in a 47x24 rectangle. Version 1.0. It is a very basic design. We need it to be much more epic. We need something only a dwarf in a strange mood can come up with. What else can we add? I'd like to rule out anything that will kill the combatants outright - it's just no fun.

Purple - The two purple squares on the right side of the coliseum are stairs going up. They are the entrance into the arena.

Blue - The walls forming the arena itself. The walls will be made of clear glass. Inside, there will be at least one bed to sleep in and a chair/table to designate a royal-level dining room. This ensures dwarves thrown in can stay alive/happy. A chute allows food and booze to be dumped in.

Brown - Remote controlled doors. The passage will be lined with cage traps - so that any hostile survivors may be re-trapped.

Red - Levers controlling doors, cages, etc.,

White - The rest of the coliseum will be designated the main dining room for the dwarves. There will be many tables and chairs here.

Note that the arena will be designed so that noble can be dumped in (with a bit of exploit trickery). The roof of the arena will have a retractable brige that will be controlled by a lever. The lever is positioned at the end of the bridge so that if a noble is made to pull it, the bridge will retract and drop the noble into the arena.

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 01, 2009, 10:38:12 pm »

Hmm... It needs some random pressure plates linked to random bridges covering pitfalls and/or flingifying combatants in random directions!  Also, there should be a pressure plate to flood the place, to test the combatants swimming skills should they misstep.  Also, some spikes around, so that they can throw each other into them.  Give the combatants hammers for extra fun.  Make sure there's an upper level composed of narrow ledges with pressure plates controlling bridges to make the terrain change as they fight.  Crossbow goblins would be released up here.

Ooh!  And don't forget the gauntlet!  A series of chambers filled with pressure plates that open up cages with successively tougher monsters!  The combatant party would have to cross the pressure plates to reach the exit.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 10:40:36 pm by Keldor »
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

chonger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 01, 2009, 11:56:02 pm »

The swimming idea is great! I think there's an underground river around somewhere. That will be easy to implement.

The automated catapulting/flinger bridge thing might be tricky, as they can accidentally crush combatants. I'll give that a try to see how well it works out.

The gauntlet is also a good idea. Using pressure plates to automate this just makes it that much more awesome. Perhaps a setup like this:

######################################
     g @  P   g         (exit this way -->)
######################################

Legends:
 @ - Urist McDwarf
 g - Caged goblin(s)
 P - Pressure plate to open cages.

Urist casually walks by the 1st caged gobbo. Urist laughs at it as he passes by. He sees another cage ahead. Suddenly he hears a click as he steps on a loose stone...

chonger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 02, 2009, 12:09:27 am »

I forgot to ask one thing. What do you mean about an upper level with changing terrains? Just making the bridge to the goblin archer change based on pressure plates? I'm not sure if the AI will be smart enough to deal with that.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5