Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Cant dig down any further + ramps?  (Read 1381 times)

firefly28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cant dig down any further + ramps?
« on: December 22, 2008, 02:14:16 pm »

Hi,

I am trying to follow a video tutorial and I have dug a downstairs then updown stairs and got considerably deep , level 17 I think? However I cant get any deeper, i also struck a mineral called olivine, niot sure if that has any relevance with not being able to dig deeper?

Also I dont really get the differance between ramps and stairs? I assume that ramps enable you to get to a hump of rock that is on top of a rock on the same level? I dont know how to tell when that is the case though? I have looked at the wiki and Im able to get stairs working well but not sure about ramps, even after reading the wiki

Any help greatly appreciated, I am starting to really like DF now though!

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cant dig down any further + ramps?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 02:18:01 pm »

There is a bottom level beyond which you cannot go (a top level, too, for what it's worth).  If you're not allowed to place downstairs anymore, then you're at that level.

The olivine has nothing to do with it.

Ramps are essentially useless except for a) being cool and b) allowing merchant wagons to traverse them (if they are three ramps wide).  Other than that, they have no advantages over stairs.
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

firefly28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 02:19:38 pm »

Ok so essentially all I need to worry about is putting 3 ramps at my underground fortress entrance?

Thanks for your reply and yes I think I have hit the max depth as I have dug very deep so that makes sense.

Core Xii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 03:46:45 pm »

17 sounds about right, if I recall correctly there are about 15 levels up and down.
Reality is for people who lack imagination

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 07:10:06 pm »

Ok so essentially all I need to worry about is putting 3 ramps at my underground fortress entrance?

Thanks for your reply and yes I think I have hit the max depth as I have dug very deep so that makes sense.

All merchant passages are supposed to be 5 tiles wide; they can't squeeze by walls.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 07:45:15 pm »

17 sounds about right, if I recall correctly there are about 15 levels up and down.

There are 15 levels above the highest ground level and 15 levels below the lowest.  I had about 70 levels underground on one map I played in certain parts of the map.
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 07:50:38 pm »

they can in the latest version.  the older versions had that rule.

All merchant passages are supposed to be 5 tiles wide; they can't squeeze by walls.

Agent Fransis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 04:04:07 am »

That is untrue. I have always built 3-tile passage ways and ramps and they used it just fine. (Note that the [D]epot accessible feature can be confusing. If you have a 3-tile corridor the feature will show you one green line in the middle of it, but what it means is that the center tile of the wagon can travel along said line. If the wagon couldn't pass it would show no green line at all).

Also ramps are very useful for channeling from below, as when you dig out a ramp you create a channel in the tile above it. If you remove the ramp (though that is not necessary) there will be a channel left above.
It can be used to collapse structures or besieging forces, or for digging out large multi-level halls\cisterns\caves\arenas underground.

firefly28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2008, 07:34:58 am »

Thanks very much. I am totally loving this game now btw! One final thing I am unsure about channels , still am not 100% on their purpose.

In regards to ramps, well you know that level that I could go below well what I did was pressed shift and > to go down 1 level, I couldnt build any stair ways but I was able to buil a ramp so does that mean that there was a high and low area on the same level?

My main issue now is understanding the purpose of channels though, hopefully captain ducks vid tuts cover that at some point, Im just following those for the time being and I think I will be playing DF for a long time, it has quick feedback but absolutely massive depth at the same time and it has renewed my faith in text games and whats great is I am not even good at it let and still have loads to learn!

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2008, 01:53:43 pm »

Channels are for digging to the next level without allowing "safe" passage. Like if you want a deep pit for throwing kittens invaders nobles in.

Schwern

• Bay Watcher
  • MAKE WAY FOR THE DWARF!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2008, 06:57:38 pm »

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2008, 07:35:31 pm »

On the bottom Z-level you can build up stairs and ramps but not downstairs. There is nothing below that level that you can access so the game prevents you from digging anything into the floor on that level.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

firefly28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2008, 08:41:00 pm »

Thanks , yeah I have been using the wiki extensively today and will continue to do so, its good. I actually had a major issue earlier today where some how I managed to create a one way ramp thus causing my dwarfs to die up there dow! It was very frustrating but after getting it fixed thanks to everybodys tips I am quitely confident I understand how to use them a bit better now.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2008, 06:06:28 am »

Quick note about caravans. My current forts widest hall way (so it's caravan accessible) is 3 tiles. I have multiple twists and turns in said hall. As long as a path that is 3x3 the caravan can make it around.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Mathiu

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2008, 11:39:47 am »

It's also worth noting that dwarves can't fall down ramps to their deaths, whereas unhatched stairways have that possibility.
Pages: [1] 2