Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Rediculously overpowered sorcery mod  (Read 2972 times)

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
Rediculously overpowered sorcery mod
« on: December 22, 2008, 01:38:44 pm »

I thought it would be fun to have magical attacks in DF, since there's damage tokens (burn, heat, cold, gore) that dwarves can't normally use. So I made a 'sorcery' mod, where the sorcerers have godly attacks (ranged weapons that do 300 of gore, burn, or cold damage for instance), but have weak defenses. My sorcerers can KO a demi-megabeast with one shot, but if the beast clobbers them, they're out for the count.

The force spells are fun. It's a ranged attack that does 300 bludgeon damage. It's actually really funny to watch a sorcerer shoot, say, a mountain goat, and it goes flying.

I'm considering introducing some seriously badassed megabeasts and common monsters, to balance my mod out a bit.

Any comments? questions? Stuff like that? Go ahead and post.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rediculously overpowered sorcery mod
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 03:05:28 pm »

I have a question.

What's the point of telling us about this awesome mod if you're not actually going to show any of us exactly what's in it? How can we comment on something that we can only take your insistence on how awesome it is?
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 04:08:24 pm »

How are you executing these "spell" attacks; modified crossbows? If so, any user with a skill level above Novice will be able to destroy everything.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Plank of Wood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 04:20:14 pm »

How are you executing these "spell" attacks; modified crossbows? If so, any user with a skill level above Novice will be able to destroy everything.

I'm pretty sure anything that's at least a dabbling mason with a few rocks and instructions on how to build a wall can block it given the time.
The science of burning innocent children could be perfected into clockwork.
They're like little bearded corals.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 10:01:12 pm »

Yes, it's basically modded crossbows... but since you can only tell your active civilization to use certain weapons (short swords, spears, etc... you can't tell them to use morningstars, for instance), I made it so that there's different spell types for the different kinds of weapons. For instance, if you tell a sorcerer to use a mace, he'll go pick up a fire staff and some fire spells.

Here's some of the raw code...

item_weapon.txt
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

item_ammo.txt

creature_standard.txt

Entity_default.txt
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 12:27:28 pm by shoruke »
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 11:30:25 pm »

Tried the slash staff out and it is fasinating to watch people get decapitated from 50 feet away.

Jurassiced

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 09:49:57 am »

this sounds like a very nice adventure mode mod o.-
POKHOMME http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=84 Race mod im working on.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 09:51:30 am »

Yeah, I've got wizards and sorcerers in my Middle earth mod some time ago and I second that it's really fun to freeze people over and throw fire blasts at goblins :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2008, 12:22:39 pm »

Thanks for the feedback people, keep it coming  ;D

Oh and... try the flux spells. I started an adventurer with maxed out flux casting, and shredded a minotaur's head... but only after ripping it's arm and it's leg off. Then I tried to kill a cyclops, and mangled one of it's legs, then it hit me once and that was that.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2008, 12:34:42 pm »

Damn you shoruke!!! Now I really can't wait for the magic arc.... ;D

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2008, 11:41:36 pm »

Okay I just tried playing an adventurer with maxed out flux caster (flux staves/spells do gore damage).

Wolves, various woodland creatures, and goblins all fell to my staff and spells... Most of them fell in several pieces, with their blood scattered in several directions. Then I fought the demon that rules the goblins' fortress, and... well, demons are BADASSED. Holy schist. After about 6 shots of 300 gore damage each, from a 'Great' flux caster, you'd think the demon would have at least slowed down. But it seems to have killed me by tackling me and falling on top of me.

Still, it's awesome to shoot stuff and watch their body parts go flying off.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2008, 01:35:08 am »

I am a bit jealous about this stuff, Shoruke :). Nothing personal, just fact. I mean, when I had such things as a part of big mod, noone noticed, but when it comes as a separate mod everyone is excited xD xD xD.

I enjoy it too btw.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2008, 02:56:15 am »

Wow, I'm gona have to try this mod. But from what I've been reading up to now, I think the slash spells are the most fun :P
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2008, 02:50:36 pm »

I modded in some civilizations myself... nothing fancy, I just took elves and goblins, made them eviller, made them reproduce more... Now the evil dudes keep winning world gen. The humans only have even a single civilization half the time, the dwarves always have 2-3 civs (but they only control one tile of area), and the sorcerers usually have 2 good size civs and 1 small civ.

I did another maxed out flux caster adventurer... nobody from the sorcerer civilizations seems to mind when I just walk into their shops, take their stuff, and walk out again. Is it because I kill their megabeasts for them?

Anyway, I killed four megabeasts, some named wild animals, and several dozen wolves...one of the megabeast caves was in a terrifying biome, I think, so everything was skeletal. Even the cyclops. I wonder how it found the air to talk when it has no lungs. But it was really funny blowing the limbs off a skeletal troll, one by one, and it's still trying to kill me. It was like the Black Knight in Monty Python.

Me: *shoots off an arm*
Troll: "I can still win!"
Me: *shoots off the other arm*
Troll: "I can still fight!"
Me: *shoots off a leg*
Troll: "So help me I'm gonna win dammit!"
Me: "How do you even talk at all?" *shoots off head*
*The Troll has been shot and killed*

Then I went to the orc encampment (I modded them in myself... they're basically oversized goblins that don't feel pain or fear), killed some orcish miners and masons, and then an orcish marksman shot me from off-screen. I went into legends mode, looked myself up, and apparently they took my body and impaled it upon a spear.

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2008, 07:37:32 pm »

I am a bit jealous about this stuff, Shoruke :). Nothing personal, just fact. I mean, when I had such things as a part of big mod, noone noticed, but when it comes as a separate mod everyone is excited xD xD xD.

I enjoy it too btw.

The big mod aspect was the problem, I'll bet. I take these small bits of code here and there and blend them into my own personal version that has only what I want.

Some people just don't like hobbits.
Pages: [1] 2