Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Magical tunnels  (Read 4186 times)

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Magical tunnels
« on: December 22, 2008, 10:50:30 am »

I think I have a solution to the tunneling crisis that is gripping the forum.

See the goblins lay siege to your fortress. The goblins want to go in, but the fortress is sealed up. So the goblin brings in their great mage. The great mage casts a spell, creating a "magic tunnel", a portal connecting the outside of the fortresss to the inside of the fortress. It takes time for the goblin mage to succed in casting the spell, allowing for the drawves to interrupt the spell, by killing the goblin mage.

If the goblin mage succeds, the goblins will rush through the magical tunnel. You have to blow the "magical tunnel"/portal up in order to stop the goblins from rushing into your fortress.

You get all the beniefts of tunneling without having to mess up the fortress' layout, since the "magical tunnels" don't actually do anything other than magically allow goblins to enter inside your fortress.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magical tunnels
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 11:00:51 am »

Thereby completely invalidating the goal of having a fortress.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 11:08:19 am »

This has nothing to do with tunneling. However as a possible feature of the magic arc...yeah it could work, even tho this sounds like an extremely powerful "spell" to me.  ;)

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 11:10:53 am »

This, of course, should have a chance of backfiring, depending on hum much and what kind of materials the magic is going through.
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 11:21:29 am »

This, of course, should have a chance of backfiring, depending on hum much and what kind of materials the magic is going through.

Eh, "backfiring" is an interesting idea. The spell miscasted, and the invaders will walk into the the magma through the fake gate.  ;D

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 11:37:33 am »

While I think the original idea is pointlessly convoluted...

Portal magic seems like a pretty neat way to fiddle with the physics engine.  Magma geysers anyone?

Theoclymenus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 12:34:04 pm »

I am sure a fairly easy way to cause the 'magic door' spell to not be too overpowered would be to give it a limited number of travelers, like 10 for example.
Pathfinding with teleporting sounds hellish to the extreme.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 12:42:12 pm »

Pathfinding with teleporting sounds hellish to the extreme.

Why?  The only real problem would be dead reckoning distances..

EverybodylovesTJ

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McNaughty
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant Art
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 05:43:33 pm »

Now you're thinking with portals!
Need I even mention the GIANT ASS BOOK?
Quote from: Toady One
So even if you aren't really hurting the titan, at least you can make little marks on it and bother it or something.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 05:50:39 pm »

Phase tunnels, mage/thing casts tunnel, selected area becomes passable, though it still exists, it become a tunnel until despell or you kill that dick whose mantaining it.

Caffienatedjedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2008, 05:56:56 pm »

hmmm... *pulls out D&D player handbook*

Passwall would basically be what is cast. Basically creating a magical passage through wood,plaster,or stone walls.Doesn't work with metal or harder materials(theres your counter  right there) Depending on the strength of the mage it can go through 10 ft plus 5 ft every lvl above spell requirement so thick walls also counter it as they require  repeated casting. It can also be dispelled and have duration. So if you are dwarven enough it can be countered by Steel.
By that logic, wagons are the gods of war.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2008, 06:04:08 pm »

Also requiring multiple casters to start it and nearly as many(80%) to maintain it, allowing the dwarves to relatively easily stop it, if they can reach the source.

Additionally, the required number should be based on distance and rate of travel, and the power of them, as well as possibly penalizing groups with large power diffrences...
Eh?
Eh!

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2008, 06:21:04 pm »

Also requiring multiple casters to start it and nearly as many(80%) to maintain it, allowing the dwarves to relatively easily stop it, if they can reach the source.

Additionally, the required number should be based on distance and rate of travel, and the power of them, as well as possibly penalizing groups with large power diffrences...

Yeah, this must be a ritual spell. Well, if we will have anything like this at all.

Lazer Bomb

• Bay Watcher
  • Sine! Cosine! TANGENT!
    • View Profile
    • Homepage 60☼
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2008, 06:35:06 pm »

Hmm, a way to convert magic users' time into physical energy: Portal 1 at top of channel, Portal 2 at bottom of lake (connected to channel), water wheels the whole way down. Would be a perpetual motion machine except for the energy input from the magicians.
Kagus: "Still, demonic spelunking is always a promising idea."

Soralin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2008, 01:55:39 am »

It'd make waterfalls easy, portal in floor, portal in ceiling, designate as a pond, and dump a bucket of water in.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5