Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A new chapter of dwarven warfare  (Read 2194 times)

Urist McManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A new chapter of dwarven warfare
« on: December 22, 2008, 10:24:58 am »

This is the beginning of a new, powerful weapon of mass destruction that violents the rigths of dwarvkind: Flamebombs!

Underground: Where the death waits

#######
#XXXXX#           # = Unmined wall
#XXXXX#           X = Booze
#XXXXX#           D = Fire-safe Floodgate
##D#D##          _ = Floor
##_#_##          S = Security Floodgate, for the loading of the bomb
##_#S##         

The left entrace to the booze stockpile is used to load the bomb with booze.
The rigth entrance is used for the magma.

Surface: The fields of destruction

__g__g_
_gg___g
__g_g__             _ = Floor
OOOOOOO          O = Pressure plate (activates right floodgate)
OXXXXXO           g = Goblin a.k.a. Victims
OXXXXXO           X = Booze (one level below)
OXXXXXO
OOOOOOO

When a goblin activates one of the pressure plates, the floodgate will open and release the magma into the booze stockpile. The booze will explode and send a whole goblin squad to Armok. After the battle is finished, close the Security Gate and pump out the magma. Reload the bomb with booze and have fun.
I'm experimenting with the blast wave of the explosion. Maybe we can build some kind of flame thrower, or even a stone shooting canon.....

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
Re: A new chapter of dwarven warfare
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 11:14:43 am »

Have you tried this yet?
I don't think booze explosions cause damage.

Would make a cool effect though.

Urist McManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 12:37:45 pm »

I'm not sure if the explosion itself will cause damage (I think so, but I'm not really sure. It's very uncommon that someone sets alcohol on fire...), but it will ignite a whole bunch of enemys. In bad circumstances, it can cause your defenders to catch fire, but if the bomb is far enough from your fortress, it should work.

R1ck

• Bay Watcher
  • Uninvited Guest
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 12:38:29 pm »

From what I've heard that wouldn't work very well. Booze bombs are one of the urban legends of Dwarf Fortress.
BTEAMHOB-Year 10 - It's POI'd to the extreme

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 01:39:06 pm »

From what I know, the booze sprays on them.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 08:03:48 pm »

I havent had a good booze fire for a few versions (burning sock on 20x20 booze stockpile, nothing I could do but watch as everyone seemed to get thirsty at once, then whoosh) when it did happen to me though it was more the ripple effect from exploding barrels that was impressive than any evidence of exposive damage (didnt notice any spash damage either but it was a while ago).  Looking at your picture I dont think it would work.  You could try Digging channels down the sides of your trade path so goblins only have one entrance, then filling the road with booze and lighting the end near you fort with a barrel dumped on a grate with magma cistern above and firesafe grate below.  as illistraited (sort of) by my crappy graphics below

top: 000
      0m0
      000     0:wall m:magma

below
 -----  CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
 fort  ]GBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB     C:channel B:barrel 
        ]  BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB      G:grate below cistern with
        ]  BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB     Barrel dumped on it.
------ CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Gobs walk down the road of booze, gobs get fried, simple.  The chain reaction should work, you could probably do the same thing with a wooden road though.  anyone tried that?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 08:06:23 pm by jester »
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 09:04:40 pm »

Booze bomb is a myth, booze does not explode. It evaporates into a harmless cloud of booze steam which just happens to be red no matter the type of booze so it looks like an explosion.

Any injuries from a 'booze bomb' are just from the heat of the burning barrels. It works exactly the same with empty barrels or even just plain old logs. Yes, I have tested this.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 09:06:54 pm »

Booze bomb is a myth, booze does not explode. It evaporates into a harmless cloud of booze steam which just happens to be red no matter the type of booze so it looks like an explosion.

Any injuries from a 'booze bomb' are just from the heat of the burning barrels. It works exactly the same with empty barrels or even just plain old logs. Yes, I have tested this.

Then how do you explain the incendiary explosive from said video of mead filled barrels, set aflame?

Yami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2008, 07:55:15 am »

Tainted files?  Mayhaps there was a nuclear cat hidden in one of the barrels?
Is it a bad sign that I purposefully deface masterwork engravings because I understand the importance of the throwing skill?

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2008, 01:45:32 pm »

Tainted files?  Mayhaps there was a nuclear cat hidden in one of the barrels?
Not tainted, and no cat ever left it's jail.

sdu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2008, 08:12:07 pm »

I made a booze bomb and i coulda sworn it worked fine the first time - it was designed to set fire to the grassland bcos magma itself didnt seem to do that.

Then the second time i used it it didnt work - BUT - it was raining so maybe that cancelled it out.

Anyway i can't exactly say i've tested it thoroughly but that's my experience of booze barrells.

Explosions? No idea.

Flamey death - only if it's not raining!

Onlyhestands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2008, 08:18:26 pm »

Make grates that go over where the booze is.

And I'm pretty sure that while the booze doesn't "blow up" it does boil spectacularly, and it can kill stuff. I had dwarves in my food stockpile killed by boiling booze and have seen videos of traders killed by it.
What if you didn't have any genitals, couldn't you just go naked as a dude (because showing your nipples is okay)?
What if monkeys created civilizations on the moon?

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2008, 10:37:18 pm »

I made a booze bomb and i coulda sworn it worked fine the first time - it was designed to set fire to the grassland bcos magma itself didnt seem to do that.

Then the second time i used it it didnt work - BUT - it was raining so maybe that cancelled it out.

Anyway i can't exactly say i've tested it thoroughly but that's my experience of booze barrells.

Explosions? No idea.

Flamey death - only if it's not raining!

Rain keeps the vegetation from burning, yes. You also can't set fires in adventure mode when it's raining.

Aranna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2008, 01:57:23 am »

Doesn't the mist cause minor(the 1st injury) to all the body of whatever is inside the area that is affected? At any rate the fire would be effective to kill the goblins(along with anything that is in the fire long enough to catch on fire) in a short(ish?) time. Also on a side question, magma/lava splashes if you pour 1/7 water from above it right(if its 2z+deep)? So couldn't you make it so that the goblins get hit by flying magma or have wood(wooden stuff) around it so that they will be in a fire room?
something like this:(W=wall +=floor{wood on it} M=magma D=door m=magma with water above)
Code: [Select]
WWWWWWWW
W++++++W
W+MMM++W
D+MmM++D
W+MMM++W
W++++++W
WWWWWWWW

The Chemist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2008, 02:25:53 am »

alternative, coal and lignite. I have gobs of it, i hear it's explosive, i want to use this to my advantage.
Pages: [1] 2