Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Colored Sand --> Colored Glass  (Read 1816 times)

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
Re: Colored Sand --> Colored Glass
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2008, 03:01:53 pm »

I believe his "Crystal Glass" is fused quarts crystal, I heard about it recently on a documentary about the Hale telescopes.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2008, 04:33:54 pm »

Flux stones would result in the same color glass the same way they result in the same type of steel.  They all have one chemical component in common (the one really used for steel making) and that is what why any flux stone could be used for deep yellow glass.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2008, 04:36:37 pm »

Huh, I guess they all do contain calcium carbonate. Marble is apparently calcium magnesium carbonate, but whatever. I didn't know they were that similar.

And yeah, fused quartz basically is high-purity silica glass, but I don't know if dwarves could make it. Also, the use of potash in its production sort of precludes it, I think, since to make fused quartz you have to leave it pure, I believe. You also need pretty ridiculous temperatures, I think.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2008, 10:00:47 pm »

You can leave clear glass out in the sun for long periods of time (and I'm talking years, even decades, in a sunny area), and it will gradually become more and more violet in color. It's really pretty. I'm not sure if it's only certain kinds of glass-it seems to me it's maybe the cobalt in the glass that the sun brings out?-but it's a pretty cool effect that could possibly be duplicated in the game.

It'd be one resource that was time-dependent, which means that-considering how hard it can be to get clear glass-it might be rare and very expensive.

Considering also, that it's an effect produced by the sun, objects treated in this way might be viewed as very exotic, very valuable, or even taboo, by dwarfs.
Enemies of dwarfs might even carry weapons made from this kind of glass. 

It also might be something that a desert-dwelling/sun-loving race (lizardmen? snakemen?) might trade with other races.
For they would be your masters.
Pages: 1 [2]