Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 102

Author Topic: DoomRL 0.9.9.6 out, GRAPHIC TILES  (Read 159237 times)

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
Re: DoomRL AKA Josh owns this game
« Reply #870 on: January 07, 2010, 01:33:57 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Was going to be a fireangel but considering I've found such an awesome shotgun early....

Also I got arachnotron caves four times in a row! Withought the BFG I would be dead.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: January 08, 2010, 03:40:58 am »

Also I got arachnotron caves four times in a row! Without the BFG I would be dead.

Oh God.  I'm cringing just thinking about that.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: January 08, 2010, 04:16:21 am »

I got to the Cyberdemon for the first time! On my second ever run on Not Too Rough, too! Too bad I didn't actually know I was about to face him and had no medkits, a single phase devise and a single red armour. No amount of ammochaining was going to save me, it turned out. Eh, next time, maybe...
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: January 08, 2010, 08:10:02 am »

I got to the Cyberdemon for the first time! On my second ever run on Not Too Rough, too! Too bad I didn't actually know I was about to face him and had no medkits, a single phase devise and a single red armour. No amount of ammochaining was going to save me, it turned out. Eh, next time, maybe...

You forgot that the Wall Trick works on Cybie as well...

With enough Firepowah, I can imagine you taking him out without ever getting hit.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: January 08, 2010, 08:30:57 am »

And with a single handgun.

Okay maybe not.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: January 08, 2010, 08:33:50 am »

Ok, see, this is a great problem I'm having with DoomRL. Everyone keeps talking about these "Wall Tricks TM" as if they were some sort of divine intervention and superpower-granting radiation combined, but either I'm too thick to do them correctly, or it's something alltogether more sinister. I'm going to use several quick diagrams to show how I'm trying to do the things and I'd be quite grateful if someone offers help.

B    B
XXXXXX@
X       X
X       X
In this situation, I should be able to fire at them without them firing, right? Well, either it's not working (using shotguns mostly, because with other weapons they come into melee and carve me up), or I'm not doing it right. Cacodemons, for one, love to fire at me from such positions. Another example :
       @ 
       XXXXXX
       X       X
     BX       X

Again, the impertinent demon in question often manages to fire off at least one shot at me, even with my walltrickery. Are combat shotguns especially unsuited to this task? And if so, what weapon should I use in such cases? I read a strategy guide on the DoomRL forums, but it just shows diagrams such as mine and doesn't really explain anything.

One more problem I'm having is enemies firing at me before I've seen them. This is especially true for former sergeants and imps, and even with shotgun scouting I sometimes fail to find them until I've eaten a bullet. I realise this might be an intentionally designed mechanic, in which case disregard my whimpering, but I can't help but feel I'm doing something wrong.

For example, for the Cyberdemon I did the following :
 oooooooooC
@XXX
  XXX
  XXX

The line of "o" representing my firing trajectory. He just fired a missile that hit me and destroyed part of the wall. That was on Not Too Rough, though I don't think difficulty makes enemies smarter.

What gives? Should I have fired once or twice, then retreated to the bottom of the pillar? I think, however, that he was at least as fast as me (in Gothic armour, had one spare red, too).
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: January 08, 2010, 08:48:15 am »

I'm leery of your diagram with the cyberdemon, since your LOS would have been impaired in that position, rendering him invisible.

A method I like to use is this:

Boooo
XXXX @
XXXX
XXXX

Standing one square away from the wall allows you to see further, and consequently allows you to fire at them from a safer position. If they get too close, retreat is also easier.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: January 08, 2010, 11:46:35 am »

Odd, that trick often allowed me to do The Wall without ever getting touched at the expense of two stacks of shotgun ammo.

And with a single handgun.

Okay maybe not.
Advanced pistol tricked out with power mods...
 It could work. With four power mods on the thing and with the perk for adding more slots you could reliably knock things back. At that point the wall trick could work.

Also, I don't think the wall trick works on the Cyberdemon. It can always see you. It knows where you are at all times.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: January 08, 2010, 12:14:30 pm »

It doesn't, as far as my experience goes. It always knows where you are as long as it can draw a line to you, and not through any terrain. You can sit on the other side of a pillar and it won't chase you, just stand still.

This leads to some amusing situations such as me standing on one end of a 1-tile pillar, with Cybie at the other end, refusing to move, while I'm trying to decide which side to make a break from.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 12:16:17 pm by 3 »

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: January 08, 2010, 12:34:08 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If I'm not a complete bastard then I don't know who is.
I rocked the hell baby!
Two thermonuclear bombs!
Both of them discharged at the right places.
With invulnerability globes.
Funny, I was so overloaded with ammo.
At the end I had only a couple of BFG shots left.
Frickin stacks of 3 arch-viles!
Cybie killed with THE SPEAR for the points of awesome.
Triple points for the name.
Quadruple points for artifactsssssss!
And bonus points for thermonuclear destruction.
Fire angels are OK, but I don't like their play style.
They need a lot of running around, but they have blocked hellrunner.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 12:42:25 pm by Rooster »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: January 08, 2010, 01:28:09 pm »

Was that post meant to be read to the beat of "Rock the Casbah"? Because that's how I TRIED to read it.

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: January 08, 2010, 02:18:49 pm »

Noooooooooooo!
Look what you did!
You made my post from mediocre into awesome!
No!
Seriously it fits in like... I don't know what it fits like, but it does very well.
EDIT: The song I mean
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 02:44:43 pm by Rooster »

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: January 08, 2010, 04:37:14 pm »

I mean dude don't even bother posting a win that's not either a full win, or on hard or better.

Also that song is cool.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: January 08, 2010, 04:40:28 pm »

At least the moment of the kill was pretty cool. Nothing says "awesome" like ramming the Spear of Destiny through Cybie's chest.

Although nuking the Angel of Death is totally anticlimactic. :D
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: January 08, 2010, 04:52:24 pm »

He nuked the mortuary.  Why? It's not even worth it if you nuke it.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 102