Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 102

Author Topic: DoomRL 0.9.9.6 out, GRAPHIC TILES  (Read 159250 times)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: DoomRL
« Reply #630 on: November 28, 2009, 05:59:18 pm »

I had a good 5 empty spaces most of the time on my good AoM run. The backpack isn't necessary. 100% kill rate is.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: November 28, 2009, 10:52:02 pm »

My God, after some 80 odd attempts, I'm finally going to win a game through stupendous luck (which is the only way to win of course).  It's Base Level 7, I've found the Assault Shotgun and the Onyx Armor, half my inventory is health packs, and I'm the goddamned Angel of Shotgunnery.  It's about damn time Phobos started working for me.

Update: OR NOT

Spoiler: Post Mortem (click to show/hide)

Five Large Health Packs, multiple suits of Power-modded Red Armor, 100% Health, all those guns.

I died to a Mancubus in one fucking turn.  How the Hell do people beat this game?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 12:10:47 am by Aqizzar »
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: November 29, 2009, 01:13:19 am »

I finally made some time to try this out before I head back to college, and I think I did pretty damn good for my first try with the new version.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What basically happened was: after several very painful run-ins with some archviles, I heard some Mancubi, and when I ventured to kill them, I apparently stumbled into the Annual Mancubi Company Picnic, as there were something like 4 of them... with an archvile... in one room.

I turned down a megasphere just moment before too, because I thought I could handle'em...

I think that Army of the Dead isn't that good of a trait for shotgunner builds, since while it allows you to penetrate armor, it blocks you from getting hell runner, which is very important for a shotgun build. How many enemies wear armor anyway?

Also, I really REALLY like the improvement to the Badass trait, which was very unappealing before.

I had an advanced double shotty, an advanced rocket launcher, and two BFG's too, but they just bumrushed me too quickly...

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: November 29, 2009, 01:39:17 am »

For every point of armor the target has, they take TWO less damage per hit.

That's the effect of armor on the damage shotguns do. Demons have 1 armor, which means 6 damage reduction with a double shotty, which is fairly significant. Most mobs have between 1 and 2 armor, with the revenant hitting 4. So with a double shotty, your looking at -6 to -24 damage a shot without AotD. Against an archvile with 70 health, -12 damage a shot is pretty damn major.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: November 29, 2009, 01:42:41 am »

Does AotD work with other weapons? Because I gave up trying to shotty them from far away and just blasted them with Rockets.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: November 29, 2009, 01:46:37 am »

I think the description mentions shotguns, don't remember for sure.

I strongly suspect explosions bypass armor, and I seem to recall reading somewhere that plasma does.
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: November 29, 2009, 01:49:46 am »

It works with all shotguns. Other weapons need it less, cause the plasma ones lose half damage to armor, making you lose at most 2 points a shot vs revs and 1 point vs everything else, and the 10mm ammo weapons lose 1 point per armor. Not sure about rockets though. Note that all my numbers assume the demons don't pick up armor, which can severely change things. If a baron gets red armor with a shotty build but no AotD, just run. You aren't gonna overcome -36 damage a shot.

Is there any point to overcharging a plasma rifle? You get 12 shots with +1 damage, but with ammochain and rapidfire mode, you get pretty close to that anyway.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: November 29, 2009, 01:56:52 am »

I'm fairly sure plasma has the highest armor penetration out of any weapon type while shotguns have the lowest. Furthermore, Aqizzar, always remember to make a lot of use of the tab button to start sprinting to get out of the line of sight of Baddies like the mancubus.
!!&!!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: November 29, 2009, 02:02:36 am »

I'm fairly sure plasma has the highest armor penetration out of any weapon type while shotguns have the lowest.

As I understand, there's only five types of damage - Physical/Normal (normal damage), Shrapnel (shotguns - doubles effect of armor), Plasma (halves effect of armor), Fire (most explosions, does normal damage but it's separated for the Fireangel trait), and Acid (like explosions, but for Knights' and Barons' immunity).

Furthermore, Aqizzar, always remember to make a lot of use of the tab button to start sprinting to get out of the line of sight of Baddies like the mancubus.

I don't think that would have helped.  I was stuck in a tangle of walls and a Lost Soul thanks to a barrel explosion.  He fired the turn after I saw him, so I doubt I could have escaped in time.  Still a hideous die roll.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: November 29, 2009, 02:06:09 am »

I take it everybody has downloaded the DoomRL players guide from the official forum?

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: November 29, 2009, 02:07:22 am »

I was reading the wiki.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: November 29, 2009, 02:10:29 am »

+2 TH
 2 Technical Mods

Then again, I never overcharged a plasma weapon. I really need to try it.

Still, nothing as bad as a former human with a shotgun knocking you back two tiles(I suppose there were two of them) into a rather tightly-packed cluster of barrels. And into the line of sight of a former human with a chaingun.

Blue armor? 120% health? Nah. Three barrels, two shotgun blasts and a chaingun volley in a single turn. Outta nowhere.

Edit: That guide is nowhere. The thread has no link to anything.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: November 29, 2009, 02:12:59 am »

I was reading the wiki.

Download the player's guide from the forum, it's written firsthand by one of the forum's most experienced members, and includes alot of info not in the wiki, such as "How to abuse Cacodemon's AI for fun and profit". A must read.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: November 29, 2009, 02:18:00 am »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: November 29, 2009, 02:18:36 am »

Yep, that's the one.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 102