Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 102

Author Topic: DoomRL 0.9.9.6 out, GRAPHIC TILES  (Read 159240 times)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DoomRL
« Reply #615 on: November 27, 2009, 01:51:49 pm »

Pff, YASD. Tried to run past a Mancubus while slightly too close to a wall. That was my best shotty run yet, though.

Gonna try again now.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: November 27, 2009, 02:05:05 pm »

Alright, pistols seem to do a hell of a lot better than shotgunners for me. Their speed makes sure that a single imp does not fire a MILLION fireballs as I sidestep. Also makes sure that shotgunners on the edge of my vision don't deal me 10% damage before I even see them.

Screw it, I'm going back to the chaingun runs.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: November 27, 2009, 02:12:19 pm »

You forget that said damage is far lower if the enemy is any more than a single space away - body-rushing a Revenant or Arch-Vile that's 10 tiles away and refuses to come any closer is not fun.

Yes, but the Jackhammer is a Combat Shotgun, and suffers much less at long range than a double. Plus, there's more than one target to absorb stray shot. You don't need to close, really; just nail them repeatedly from a distance while on run.

It wasn't for nothing that I cited the Mortuary instead of the Cyberdemon. The Cyberdemon was less harrowing for exactly the reasons you outlined, but the Mortuary still failed to frighten.

On the subject of double shotguns: combat shotgun with double prepared or two doubles?

I'll concur precisely with Beorn and your instincts, though I will add the sidenote that if you can manage to still carry around the extra double, there are levels I'd dual-double. Mazes that aren't entirely covered in barrels, or the Halls of Carnage, ferex.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: November 27, 2009, 02:17:18 pm »

I was referring to Ampersand's comment on modified doubles, not the Jackhammer.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: November 27, 2009, 03:28:56 pm »

You might even want to carry both a spare double and a spare combat. If you can't get close, you might need ten quick pumped shots from a combat. I can definitely see that coming up if you get past the cyberdemon, though even there you want to close quickly. Also in any other wide open levels, since while the combat shotgun is nice at range, its full reload is annoying, and sometimes you just want to spam shots down range.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: November 27, 2009, 04:27:12 pm »

Dammit, I'm always getting the wrong weapons for my build.  I'm back to straight HMP game, no restrictions, but I started picking traits heading for an Ammochain build.  Lo and behold, I find an advanced double shotgun, then the Assault Shotgun.  And now my inventory is filled because I refuse to dump all this ammo I'm juggling.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: November 28, 2009, 02:18:11 pm »

Spoiler: Not a YASD. Really. (click to show/hide)

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: November 28, 2009, 02:46:51 pm »

Here's a tip for earning badges on the Angel runs: don't try to kill everything. When you find the stairs use them.

Sure it's the coward's way out, but you should be able to get a bit deeper, and least get the bronze badges easier.
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: November 28, 2009, 03:04:43 pm »

I got the Assault Shotgun, the Minigun and the Firestorm Mod Pack all on the same run.

I was an Angel of Markmanship.

The only useful unique were the Gothic Boots. Hmph. At least I got an Aurora medallion out of it, thanks to me picking them all up and then dropping them after killing everything(didn't want the mobs getting to them). I kept the Firestorm on the slim chance I'd get the Anti-Freak Jackal. Can you use the Firestorm on the AFJ, anyway?
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: November 28, 2009, 04:03:00 pm »

I doubt it, but you could probably use it on the Grammarton.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: November 28, 2009, 05:05:16 pm »

Well, whichever was the one that exploded in a single-tile radius.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: November 28, 2009, 05:06:33 pm »

Does anyone know the requirements to pick up the Dragonslayer? Why they wouldn't put that info in the wiki is beyond me.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: November 28, 2009, 05:06:56 pm »

Say you somehow found the Trigun before the Wall and were invincible when entering, would using Angel Arm still be allowed for both the AoM and general clearing of The Wall?
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: November 28, 2009, 05:17:27 pm »

Yes, you would be able to use the angel arm, but you would lose the backpack still. Would be effective though.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: November 28, 2009, 05:54:40 pm »

Does anyone know the requirements to pick up the Dragonslayer? Why they wouldn't put that info in the wiki is beyond me.
From what I can tell, the wiki writers don't know either.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 102