Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 102

Author Topic: DoomRL 0.9.9.6 out, GRAPHIC TILES  (Read 159230 times)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: DoomRL
« Reply #600 on: November 27, 2009, 02:05:23 am »

Oddly enough, I have the exact opposite problem. The one thing I cannot survive the first couple of levels with is shotgun.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: November 27, 2009, 03:39:25 am »

Your normal shotgun is horrible unless you happen to have Shottyman, and then it's only decent.  But get a combat shotgun on level 2, and your set with all your long-range shotgun needs for the rest of the game.  Only replacement worth it is the assault shotgun, if you're doing a shotgun build.

I think that gun kata is extremely fun and useful, until you start hitting reverants and archviles.  Barons of hell with red armor are annoying too, it just takes so many hits to take them out.
All generalizations are false....including this one.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: November 27, 2009, 03:49:07 am »

Only replacement is the Assault Shotgun? Surely you jest.

Also, normal shotguns work much, much better if you carry a pair. Not as good as a Combat Shotgun, but much, much better than just using one.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: November 27, 2009, 03:52:26 am »

Pfft. The Jackhammer could probably clear the room before they did any major damage.
If you are going for a shotgun build then you won't move fast enough to get them all before they destroy everything. My gun-kata build wasn't fast enough for that.
 Unless all the good items happen to be in the side-vaults.

I'm going to side with Ampersand on this, not based on Vaults experience, but rather from the bloody swath I cut through the Mortuary with the Jackhammer. I'm pretty sure you'd still have a decent amount of loot when the smoke cleared.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: November 27, 2009, 04:06:48 am »

Let me put it this way. The Cyberdemon can only take like four hits from the Jackhammer. Otherwise, put the Firestorm upgrade pack on a advanced double shotty, and three power mods. It will become the most incredible thing ever. It will go from 8d3*3 to 11d3*5, so on average something like 18*5 or 90 damage, which is an instant kill on everything except the bosses.
!!&!!

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: November 27, 2009, 05:39:24 am »

Only replacement is the Assault Shotgun? Surely you jest.

Also, normal shotguns work much, much better if you carry a pair. Not as good as a Combat Shotgun, but much, much better than just using one.

Never found that one, but no love for the Plasma SG?

Assault SG's only a minor improvement as I recall, but then the combat SG is a hard formula to improve upon ;D
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: November 27, 2009, 09:21:58 am »

Yeah, first time I won I won with the Jackhammer.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: November 27, 2009, 10:07:32 am »

Let me put it this way. The Cyberdemon can only take like four hits from the Jackhammer. Otherwise, put the Firestorm upgrade pack on a advanced double shotty, and three power mods. It will become the most incredible thing ever. It will go from 8d3*3 to 11d3*5, so on average something like 18*5 or 90 damage, which is an instant kill on everything except the bosses.

You forget that said damage is far lower if the enemy is any more than a single space away - body-rushing a Revenant or Arch-Vile that's 10 tiles away and refuses to come any closer is not fun.

Generally I find that pistol builds are far easier to use than shotgun builds, simply because you won't have to risk as much getting close all the time (especially once you have EE). And yes, I do know about the run-in tactic.

I also fail to understand why some seem to think that attempting the arena on Marksmanship is a waste - you get two large health packs (you might have five or six small at most, but that doesn't compare unless you're playing on ITYTD), a blue armor (you won't have found one of those unless you were lucky on a vault, and green armors are nigh-useless), a power mod (same as the armour), most likely more ammo than you spent, and enough experience to easily get you over level 3 for DG.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: November 27, 2009, 11:55:56 am »

First time I won, it was with a revenant's launcher. Hid behind a pillar, and circled it while blasting him without him being able to see me. Don't think he actually hit me once.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: November 27, 2009, 12:52:43 pm »

On the subject of double shotguns: combat shotgun with double prepared or two doubles? My instinct is to go with the former, but I'll see if anyone has anything to suggest within the next few minutes.

atomicwinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: November 27, 2009, 12:55:41 pm »

Made my second run, died with a Level 5 FC Private equipped with a bulk modified mini gun on level 15 of the phobus base. Nice run I must say.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: November 27, 2009, 01:01:05 pm »

You're going to be making ALOT of runs, so don't feel obligated to tell us about every one.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: November 27, 2009, 01:27:00 pm »

If your doing a shottyman build, Combat with double prepared. Gives you nice long range shots while you strafe close to them, then you get the double shotguns power at close range. You can also use that pump function of the combat shotty to quickly blast things at the edge of your range.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: November 27, 2009, 01:35:35 pm »

Yeah, I opted for that in the end. I'm only on level 12 at the moment, so I'm just having to start using the double. Cleared Hell's Armory without any issues whatsoever - stupid Arachnotrons tried to melee me - so I've got a power mod for the double (as I'm statistically unlikely to find an advanced one).

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: November 27, 2009, 01:48:17 pm »

I just found the Nuclear Plasma Rifle.  On Level 9.

I'm running Angel of Shotgunnery.

Fuck you Phobos.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 102