Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 102

Author Topic: DoomRL 0.9.9.6 out, GRAPHIC TILES  (Read 159202 times)

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DoomRL
« Reply #495 on: November 12, 2009, 11:12:55 am »

Two versions ago you'd start AoMr with an advanced pistol.

We need to bring this back.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: November 12, 2009, 01:21:52 pm »

Nah. with gun kata and dodgemaster you don't need it. Plus uniques are far more common, so theres a good chance of at least a blaster.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: November 12, 2009, 03:02:16 pm »

Nah. with gun kata and dodgemaster you don't need it. Plus uniques are far more common, so theres a good chance of at least a blaster.

Do ranks/medals determine the number on uniques found? It seems like I'm finding many more as time goes on,

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: November 12, 2009, 03:42:27 pm »

Aqizzar. Which level? The one with the like 8 supercharges or something, and a bunch of shotgunners first, rockets, then magma?

You start in a room in the middle, with doors left and right, hallways of magma, and rooms in the corners you get to by blowing up the walls.  I forget what it's called, but you know the place.

I usually just get killed in the Arena anyway.  Stupid fucking Cacodemons.  I can't imagine what Mancubi are like.
Is it the one with the cacodemons north and south that you can't get to, and the million former humans left and right with 2 PoS shotgunners with them?

▼It IS the chained court. I haven't seen any special levels after the wall.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 03:57:21 pm by zchris13 »
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: November 12, 2009, 03:46:40 pm »

That sounds a lot like the Chained Court.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: November 12, 2009, 07:57:32 pm »

I assume you need to use melee weapons in the Temple unique level. In which case, damn.

And this game constantly reminds me that this is not Doom, this is a Roguelike. There is no shame in dieing on level 2.

Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: November 12, 2009, 08:01:38 pm »

Lost souls suck. I hate them more than Arachnotrons actually.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: November 12, 2009, 09:04:43 pm »

Give me the right guns and I fucking love the things. I must have leveled up on mobs of them ten to twenty times already.

EDIT: Okay, lost souls, shotgun, good. Lost souls, human sergeant blowing you into an acid pool, plus imps, not good.

I had the opportunity to take dogemaster just before I died. Dammit, I should have.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 09:12:41 pm by Jackrabbit »

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: November 12, 2009, 09:15:04 pm »

Doesn't save you from shotguns.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: November 12, 2009, 09:17:59 pm »

I know, but I'd just made it out of the acid and was planning on getting to a safe place to munch on a healthpack before that bastard imp tagged me. The sergeant blew me into a separate room, he wasn't a problem.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: November 13, 2009, 06:42:23 am »

Alright Veterans of Phobos, help me out.  I can't decide which build I prefer, Gun Kata or Army of the Dead.

A of the D is great, because Shottyman only takes three levels, and kicks ass with the whole no-real-accuracy-loss-when-running thing.  It doesn't work very well against single enemies, like my mortal nemesii the Cacodemons.  But it's still good enough that the requisite Badass levels can wait without difficulty.  That it can't combine with Hellrunner though is just a kick in the teeth.

Gun Kata has the benefit of being bitchin' sweet (if not exactly Doom-like), but it takes too long to get everything working.  I have to choose to first focus on either Dodgemaster (staying alive but doing crap damage) or Dualgunner (which works surprisingly well, and it's oh so satisfying to gun down a crowd of imps without taking a scratch).

I see Ammochain is supposed to be popular here, but it just doesn't sound as fun to me.  I'm never short of ammo.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: November 13, 2009, 06:56:36 am »

Yeah, but you misunderstand ammochain. What it means is you can fire fullauto forever. Forever. And it fires at a rate so ridiculous that most people can't get a shot off. In the time it takes to walk a square, you're fired maybe 6 or seven bullets, or plasma shots. And with an agility mod, it's a beast.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: November 13, 2009, 07:40:15 am »

Yeah, but you misunderstand ammochain. What it means is you can fire fullauto forever. Forever. And it fires at a rate so ridiculous that most people can't get a shot off. In the time it takes to walk a square, you're fired maybe 6 or seven bullets, or plasma shots. And with an agility mod, it's a beast.
Imagine going full-auto on a Mancubi a half-dozen times before he even has a chance to react.
 Ammochain is just love. And the lack of ammo means one can carry other crap. Like more medkits. Or that extra envirosuit. Or more mods one wants to save.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: November 13, 2009, 09:48:16 am »

I've never liked Gun Kata, sure reloading on the fly is nice, but it doesn't really up your damae delivery all that much. If you're using a marksman build I prefer SoG>SoG>DG>Fin>Fin>Wk>Sog, which really ups your damage potential. You just need to disengage to reload.

The trick to using shotgun builds in standard games is that you shouldn't really just on shotguns. use rocket launchers...lots and lots of rocket launchers.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: November 13, 2009, 09:57:24 am »

I've decided to go with the Ammochain thing like you're all saying.  Personally, I'm finding my effectiveness generally lessened by the Son of a Bitch traits instead of the other paths.  Mostly just situational problems, this being a roguelike after all.

However, I have a theory.  I never type in a name, preferring to let the game pick a name for me.  I believe that name actually has supernatural powers over the game.  As Derek Yu, I often die in the first level.  As Viitenem (or whatever) I usually do quite good.  As Bobby, middling.

But right now (in a game I have to save to go to class), I have full blue armor with green backups, tons of ammo (and on my way to unlimited ammo) spare health packs, the chainsaw, and a combat shotgun, chaingun, and advanced missile launcher, all with Agility upgrades (I got a bunch for some reason, and I'm not Wizkid'ed yet).  My randomly generated name?

John Romero

I'm going to make Hell my bitch.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 102