Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 102

Author Topic: DoomRL 0.9.9.6 out, GRAPHIC TILES  (Read 159039 times)

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DoomRL
« Reply #270 on: October 19, 2009, 05:18:40 pm »

Pretty much all uniques in the game are shout outs to other games/series. The Anti Freak Jackel is Hellsing, the Trigun is Trigun, Blaster is Quake, Minigun is general action movies, and so on. Only one that is from Doom is the chainsaw, and technically that isn't a unique, just incredibly rare to find outside of the chained court.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: October 19, 2009, 06:25:33 pm »

The minigun is REAL!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: October 19, 2009, 06:28:18 pm »

Also, in the previous version, there was the very rare "dragonslayer" which was a shoutout to the sword Guts' uses from Berserk, which I believe was unpickable. I'm not sure if that's changed at all.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: October 19, 2009, 07:43:59 pm »

The minigun is REAL!

Well, yes, but as your own link points out it's not really man-portable. That "version" of a minigun, which is to say the one that behaves in the manner depicted by innumerable games and movies, is a myth.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: October 19, 2009, 07:56:05 pm »

Nordic dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: October 19, 2009, 08:03:09 pm »

The minigun is REAL!

Well, yes, but as your own link points out it's not really man-portable. That "version" of a minigun, which is to say the one that behaves in the manner depicted by innumerable games and movies, is a myth.
true,they are too heavy for most to carry. there is a man-portable designed minigun, made by general electric called the xm-somethingsomething. i forget the model number,but really, even with the ammo backpack it came with you will have maybe 5 seconds of sustained firing to work with. also note in real life they make a very harsh buzzing sound,not that rat-tat-tat like in movies. also, i realize it is for balance purposes, but miniguns do not spray lead everywhere unless you cannot control it (it's like holding a fire hose as it sprays water,albeit a very strong pressure of water) they are generally very accurate,combined with their firepower,making them perfect for vehicle mounted turrets and airplanes.
 also,while we are on the subject, my favorite "mini" gun. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bd3tUg6Dj1Y&feature=related
and another thing,when they stop firing they have a brief period you cannot fire in which to cycle the rounds back into the proper places, but they do not have a "spin up" period in which they do not fire.
This is a witty signature.all craftsmanship is of the highest quality.it menaces with spikes.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: October 19, 2009, 08:04:55 pm »

Heavy Weapons Guy was wrong?!

Nordic dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: October 19, 2009, 08:07:41 pm »

Heavy Weapons Guy was wrong?!
yeah :( hate to be the one that has to break his sense of reality though
This is a witty signature.all craftsmanship is of the highest quality.it menaces with spikes.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: October 19, 2009, 11:18:23 pm »

yes but he is russian, has big muscles, AND IS MADE BY THE VAVLE GRAPHICS TEAM! Heavy weapons guy is the only human on planet earth, or planet dawrf, that can carry a minigun and use it like it was a toy. He's cool like that.
Hello Hunam

Nordic dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: October 19, 2009, 11:37:10 pm »

yes but he is russian, has big muscles, AND IS MADE BY THE VAVLE GRAPHICS TEAM! Heavy weapons guy is the only human on planet earth, or planet dawrf, that can carry a minigun and use it like it was a toy. He's cool like that.
indeed. the man-portable is only about 85 pounds fully loaded with ammo. it's really not too bad, it's just not cost-effective or pragmatic when a m60 or one of it's variants can be used for individual's. it's damn cool though. also legal with a special license you can get to own any automatic weapon under the 50. caliber range made before 1986. now if i only had 400,000$ laying around somewhere....
(the gun is that expensive last i checked,not too many on the civillian market. the license is only 500$ along with a background check,for any that would want to know. check with your local gun-club and police department for details. also i believe the atf's website has more info.)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: October 22, 2009, 11:28:06 am »

The minigun is REAL!

Kurt Russel did actually fire a (real?) minigun (with blanks, I assume) in the movie Soldier. I remember it was in a behind-the-scenes segment somewhere. Not in a real combat situation, mind ya, but he managed to stay in place for a couple of seconds. It was fun to watch. Specially the part where he falls on his butt into a pool.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: October 22, 2009, 05:40:56 pm »

The minigun is REAL!

Kurt Russel did actually fire a (real?) minigun (with blanks, I assume) in the movie Soldier. I remember it was in a behind-the-scenes segment somewhere. Not in a real combat situation, mind ya, but he managed to stay in place for a couple of seconds. It was fun to watch. Specially the part where he falls on his butt into a pool.

How about in Terminator 2 when Arnold is firing a minigun down from the building.  Did he actually do that too?  I think so.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: October 22, 2009, 06:22:54 pm »

IIRC, he was not only shooting blanks, but the barrel rotation was slowed down as well. It was an actual M134, though.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: October 22, 2009, 06:50:00 pm »

See, here's the thing.  When I think about the situations when I would want a minigun in real life, none of them involve the ability to fire three hundred bullets a second.  Instead, they all involve the ability to keep firing for like a full minute straight.  Slowed-down barrel rotation is exactly what I'd be after because, seriously, it doesn't take that many bullets to kill a guy.  When you have something that you just don't need to reload, you are your OWN cover fire.  And that's awesome.

Totally counter to the whole point of a minigun, but who cares?  I always liked the P90s in CS, anyway.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: October 24, 2009, 04:27:10 pm »

One thing that helps the people in the movies to be able to shoot the miniguns while carrying them, is probably that the movie versions make the ammo belt manifest from thin air instead of an actual (big!) ammo box and don't need the car-battery-sized power pack that makes them spin and stuff.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 102