Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 102

Author Topic: DoomRL 0.9.9.6 out, GRAPHIC TILES  (Read 158933 times)

Skynet 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • Rogue AI
    • View Profile
Blaster
« Reply #135 on: January 25, 2009, 08:54:05 pm »

I recently found the Blaster unique weapon in Hell's Armory. Unfortunately, this was on a shotgun build, and it was too far down to switch to a pistol one. I kept the weapon with me for awhile anyway. It's the best possible sidearm for anyone using the Dualgunner trait, as its ammo recharges, and does so incredibly quickly, to the point where I never even saw it go down unless I was berserk, even with Finesse rank 2. If I had been using a pistol build, then the Blaster would be the ultimate sidearm, as you would be able to equip it on your prepared weapon slot, and then never have to worry about reloading your second pistol again. It also has decent damage, and a fast enough fire speed, twice that of the standard pistol, to make up for the 120% firing rate when using two pistols with Dualgunner.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blaster
« Reply #136 on: January 25, 2009, 09:19:21 pm »

I recently found the Blaster unique weapon in Hell's Armory. Unfortunately, this was on a shotgun build, and it was too far down to switch to a pistol one. I kept the weapon with me for awhile anyway. It's the best possible sidearm for anyone using the Dualgunner trait, as its ammo recharges, and does so incredibly quickly, to the point where I never even saw it go down unless I was berserk, even with Finesse rank 2. If I had been using a pistol build, then the Blaster would be the ultimate sidearm, as you would be able to equip it on your prepared weapon slot, and then never have to worry about reloading your second pistol again. It also has decent damage, and a fast enough fire speed, twice that of the standard pistol, to make up for the 120% firing rate when using two pistols with Dualgunner.

How does the math work for time on dual pistols?  I decided 2 in 1.5 (.5 for the first, 1 for the second) was not as good as 3 in 1.5 (.5, .5, .5), or even 4 in one (1 and the .5 free at the same time), since the blaster was so F'ing awesome damagewise. (never found advanced pistol)

Eventually found the nuclear blaster and switched out (since I didn't do anything pistol specific)

Skynet 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • Rogue AI
    • View Profile
Re: DoomRL
« Reply #137 on: January 25, 2009, 11:32:52 pm »

http://forum.chaosforge.org/index.php?topic=1825.msg14683#msg14683 has details for how the firing / reload speed boosts stack, and the thread in general is about the Blaster.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 26, 2009, 01:19:42 pm »

so 4 shots (8 bullets) of both = 6 shots (6 bullets) of the BG

Or 2 BG compared to 4 of the other gun...

That's without the 1.2 penalty.

With it, it's .9 to .5,
and with the reload time factored in (1.2/6) it's 1.1...

the blaster is only avg 6 dam vs avg 5 dam...
but 1/.5 * 6 = 12 vs 1/.9 * 11 = 12.2222 (Without reload)
and 12 vs 1/1.1*11 = 10 (with reload).

.2222 (best case, everything dies before you need to reload) isn't worth a trait when son of a bitch or finesse is available.

Again with SoG .64 and +2 damage applied>
1/.32 * 8 = 25 versus 1/(.9*.64) * 15 = 26
or a little better than a full damage point...

Edit :  Formatting
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 03:54:32 pm by Granite26 »

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 26, 2009, 02:26:19 pm »

Remember the importance of armor.  The nastiest things that you need to deal a ton of damage to, quick, are usually the armored ones, and taking one or two points off of each bullet really shifts the damage calculations for multiple bullet guns.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 26, 2009, 03:27:04 pm »

I have just discovered the futility of fighting a dozen hell knights with a combat shotgun all at once. Didn't even get a second shot off.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 26, 2009, 03:43:33 pm »

Those Hell Knights rack up damage pretty quick together.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 26, 2009, 03:50:48 pm »

Twas a horribly unlucky death. Let this be a lesson to you. Always carry your BFG in your secondary weapon slot.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 26, 2009, 03:53:59 pm »

Boy, I'd kill for another feat...let's call it Strafe, requires two levels of Hellrunner, gives additional +10% dodge chance versus non-bullet projectiles when recently moving perpendicular to line of fire.

Because seriously, the hitscan weapons (instant hit bullets) were always way more dangerous than any slow projectiles in Doom.  In any wide open space, shotgun and chaingun humans were WAY more dangerous than any number of Barons of Hell.

Not to mention that projectile monsters got more dangerous when you were invisible, because half the shots missed and were thus harder to avoid by strafing... :x

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 26, 2009, 03:56:17 pm »

Remember the importance of armor.  The nastiest things that you need to deal a ton of damage to, quick, are usually the armored ones, and taking one or two points off of each bullet really shifts the damage calculations for multiple bullet guns.

Ayup, plus, in this case, the extra carrying capacity for rockets/BFGcells...

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 26, 2009, 07:29:24 pm »

The RNG manages to annoy me greatly at times. TWO invulnerability globes on one hell city type level. Well at least the next level will be easy.

Edit: Cleared the wall, next level drop next to a revenant and a plasma rifle grunt, fired one shot, took me to 5% health, healed to full, then dropped to -20%. Deaths seem far too random at times.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 08:51:47 pm by beorn080 »

Skynet 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • Rogue AI
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 27, 2009, 10:09:06 am »

Former Commandos can be worse than Arachnotrons. They appear at earlier levels, fire more plasma per round, and seem to fire more often. Also, they only carry 40 cells in their plasma rifle, and every shot wastes some of those.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 27, 2009, 04:53:32 pm »

The RNG really ticks me off. First unique I get is an assault shotgun, which is worthless since I have shottyman and a double shotgun. Why couldn't it be something USEFUL!

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 27, 2009, 04:56:37 pm »

Eh, assault shotgun is better at longer ranges, and why is it useless anyway?  Will still reload slightly faster when standing still I think, and don't the uniques do SSG-like damage?

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 27, 2009, 05:04:49 pm »

Moving gives dodge bonuses, and shottyman lets me reload during movement. Double shotgun is 6d3X3, while the assault shotgun does 6d4. Not saying it isn't good, just doesn't seem as good when you got shottyman in there.

Edit: My apologies to the RNG. Just found a revenant's launcher.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 05:14:17 pm by beorn080 »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 102