Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 102

Author Topic: DoomRL 0.9.9.6 out, GRAPHIC TILES  (Read 158842 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: DoomRL
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2008, 12:47:05 pm »

Nah, I like rogue-likes where dieing is common place.  Just don't get too attached to your character..

"WHY!! HE WAS MY ONLY FRIEND!!!"

"I HATE YOU CACODEMONS!!"

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2008, 02:24:27 pm »

Everybody hates cacodemons.  If they don't, I will hate them enough to make up for it.

But not as much as I hate levels built like this:

There should really be some sort of safety check that makes sure you can get from A to B alive.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2008, 02:25:01 pm »

My latest run:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Proof that the developer plays Dwarf Fortress:

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2008, 02:34:41 pm »

"Blood for the Blood God" is a Warhammer reference, not a DF reference.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2008, 02:36:42 pm »

"Blood for the Blood God" is a Warhammer reference, not a DF reference.
Warhammer? You mean that game they play in the real world? Blasphemy!

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2008, 02:45:12 pm »

Anything that has to do with blood has to deal with Armok.  Even before Armok existed, which he always did, which is a paradox in itself.  Anyway, yeah Kagus those levels are the only thing that bugs me, you're going to have to walk through that acid buddy. Also cacodemons bug me.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2008, 04:48:22 pm »

There should really be some sort of safety check that makes sure you can get from A to B alive.

Well... If you had some o' them protective boots...

But yeah...
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2008, 04:55:41 pm »

What if it happens on the 3rd floor? (if it can, I don't even know)

Or the 2nd floor!?

EDIT: There is an attribute that lessens acid and lava damage, but I don't want to waste my levelup on that.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2008, 05:01:22 pm »

What attributes do you usually take ToonyMan?

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2008, 05:15:14 pm »

I take SoaB first ussually, then TaN, and maybe another SoaB before I either get Ironman or Finesse.  Ofcourse, that's a hard question to answer because I switch it up alot.  I get the farthest with what I just said though, ofcourse I always like just doing Hellrunner for the fun of it.  ;D

EDIT:  I only play on Hurt Me Plenty right now.  I like having a challenge, ofcourse once I unlock a harder mode I'm jumping on it.  :D

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2008, 05:26:59 pm »

I only play on Hurt Me Plenty right now.  I like having a challenge, ofcourse once I unlock a harder mode I'm jumping on it.  :D
Same here.

I usually don't put much thought into what I choose, but I've been experimenting with Hellrunner and the dodging trick mentioned in the manual (the one about approaching your enemies diagonally).

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2008, 05:54:54 pm »

What if it happens on the 3rd floor? (if it can, I don't even know)

Check the picture, it was on the third floor.

If you want a challenge, just play Angel of Berserk.  That'll drop you a few times, I assure you.  I just recently managed to get to level 10, and that was only due to my finding the butcher's cleaver on level 2.

Angel of Marksmanship is actually relatively doable.  It's annoying when you find a combat shotgun on level three and the unique rocket launcher a couple stairs later, but choices are made easy for you.

Lately, I've been plugging my first points into reloader and SoaB.  I'll wait for shottyman until I actually get something that really needs it (I.E., the double-barreled death-dealer), unless I'm looking into other areas.  Since there seems to be a pretty even dispute between shotguns and chainguns, I've tried my luck at chainguns a couple times.  As such, I'll plug points into eagle eye so I can actually hit something.

Fenrir, if you plan on keeping up the dodgy lifestyle, I really do suggest shooting for shottyman.  Reloading on the run lets you constantly keep moving.  And the double-barrel can shove out quite a nice amount of lead, especially if you've got the speed to get up-close and personal with the baddies before you let fly.  Plus, the necessary reloader points will help you out if you decide to switch over to explosives later on (there seemed to be more rockets than shells lying around last time I was in hell).

I don't know if I'll ever really get the hang of chainguns...  Sure, the points open up the way to nice plasma gun handling later on, but there's just something innately satisfying with blowing a demon away using a shotgun.

Skynet 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • Rogue AI
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2008, 05:58:41 pm »

I've beaten the Cyberdemon once or twice, and even
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 06:00:54 pm by Skynet 2.0 »

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2008, 06:06:30 pm »

Thanks for the advice Kagus. I may not do the dodgy thing long; I'll just see how it goes. I've always had a soft spot for chainguns, so I may try Eagle Eye.

DFNewb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2008, 06:52:34 pm »

How hard do you guys consider the Wall? I found it pretty easy (on the easiest setting) all I used was my rocket launcher on the hell knights.
Reasonableman playing Batman: Arkham Asylum
Luke_Prowler : Boot: apply directly to the forehead
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 102