Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 102

Author Topic: DoomRL 0.9.9.6 out, GRAPHIC TILES  (Read 158834 times)

Demilich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DoomRL: Hell really did just freeze over
« Reply #1470 on: September 28, 2011, 06:58:22 am »

Wow, this game is great. Perfect distillation of all that is good in Doom and roguelike games. Being able to use MP3s instead of the MIDIs is nice. I had forgotten how awesome the Doom soundtrack is. I seem to have encountered a bug with shellboxes, the game kept crashing everytime I tried the tactical shotgun alternate reload with a shellbox equipped. I suspect it has something to do with there not being enough ammo in the box for a full reload.

Not keen on having to cheese practically every enemy harder than Imps to death. I end up blindfiring around corners with my tactical shotgun until the screams stop. Still haven't got a decent strategy for dealing with Archviles save firing rockets in their general direction or chainfiring a hyperblaster at point-blank range. Mancubi are ridiculous. I've been instagibbed a couple of times by stepping into their vision. Revenants aren't all that bad. Arachnatrons are nightmares. I recently ran into three consecutive cave levels with them. The Cyberdemon is a kitten compared to the hordes of late-game enemies you have to fight. Or the Mortuary. I only went there once, and I think I'll give it a pass in every other game I play. No, I was not expecting anything like that, considering the low difficulty of all the other special levels.

Oh, and fuck the Shambler. I've never been able to overcome his regeneration without a plasma rifle.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: September 28, 2011, 07:09:15 am »

Oh, and fuck the Shambler. I've never been able to overcome his regeneration without a plasma rifle.
I use a double shotgun. I wait for it to get close then I blast him. I occasionly launch rockets to the place where he spawns to weaken him. I managed to get him down to mortally wounded just by doing that.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: September 28, 2011, 07:17:18 am »

Oh and fuck the Shambler. I've never been able to overcome his regeneration without a plasma rifle.

I usually beat him by throwing bullets down the corridor until he stops screaming, then waiting for him to teleport in and start it up again. :)

Sometimes I use the missile launcher though.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Demilich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: September 28, 2011, 07:18:06 am »

He keeps teleporting away to heal when I introduce my shotgun to his face. Never tried the double-barrelled shotgun, though. The range is so pathetic that I tend to stick with combat/tactical.

Rocketing the spawn is a good idea, I hadn't thought of that. I assumed he teleported immediately after release.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: September 28, 2011, 07:20:03 am »

The trick with the double shotgun is to get into melee range, and then fire. If you're doing a shottyman, you can leisurely stride your way up to melee range again and then blow his face off.

The problem is the lightning though, and I think the Shambler is immune to lava now.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: September 28, 2011, 07:21:54 am »

Rocketing the spawn is a good idea, I hadn't thought of that. I assumed he teleported immediately after release.
I don't know if it still works. He's supposed to be immune to splash damage which is all that the rocket currently deals. It did, however work in the version before the previous version.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: September 28, 2011, 07:26:17 am »

I don't know if it still works. He's supposed to be immune to splash damage which is all that the rocket currently deals. It did, however work in the version before the previous version.

I think he has a version of the Fireangel trait, so basically only the direct damage attacks will do any harm. The rocket has to hit directly I think.

The Cyberdemon's rocket launcher is probably the only one that suffers from that obnoxious Fireangel bug :/

Demilich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: September 28, 2011, 07:29:47 am »

He's definitely immune to lava. When I saw that I wasn't doing enough damage, I waited until he teleported next to it and then blasted him into the lava while commending myself for my wits. Then he happily sat in the lava while spamming...what the hell is his attack supposed to be, anyway? Anyhow, I had to run away.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: September 28, 2011, 07:32:30 am »

This

is him and his attack is supposed to be a lightning bolt, I guess. The Shambler's probably one of the harder bosses. I mean it would be okay if he just teleported or regenerated, but he does both.

Demilich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: September 28, 2011, 07:43:42 am »

My, what a handsome fellow. I don't remember encountering him in Doom, but it has been ages since I played it.

Is there any point in carting around the AM's staff? It basically just takes up an inventory slot that I could really use for other things. I know about its secret use (Yeah, I looked it up. I have no idea how anyone is supposed to figure that out.) but the attack is...less than spectacular. I had toyed with the idea of carrying a ton of small medpacks as a technician and just using them and it over and over again if I get overwhelmed (Like, say, on a bad run of The Wall.) but it seems impractical at best.

Speaking of bad runs of The Wall, I really need to remember about the rocket jump ability...

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: September 28, 2011, 07:45:41 am »

My, what a handsome fellow. I don't remember encountering him in Doom, but it has been ages since I played it.
It's a Quake enemy :D

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: September 28, 2011, 07:50:39 am »

It's a Quake enemy :D

And it's basically equivalent to a baron, I guess, which is why its symbol is the B.

The AM staff isn't very useful for anything at all, except maybe scoring an instakill on a weakened major enemy like a Baron or a Mancubus, but then the staff's power fatigues you and you would be better off running...

Demilich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: September 28, 2011, 08:13:56 am »

Ah, that explains it. I never played the original Quake.

What traits do you guys usually go for? I tend to play as technician on the off-chance that the game throws up one of the exotic mod packs. The tracking data from all maps is wonderful for corner cheesing, too. I usually do something like TaN2 > Badass > Finesse > Hellrunner > Reloader, with Whizkid whenever I have enough mods to make something decent like the tactical shotgun, assault rifle, hyperblaster or nanofiber red armour. Or focus on getting shottyman if I end up with a supershotty/Jackhammer. Basically, I try to reduce all of my actions below one second to try and keep away from enemies while relying on 200% health and innate damage reduction to stop commandos and mancubi from frying me.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: September 28, 2011, 08:28:19 am »

Unless something's been added since I last decided to release the Shambler, I don't see any point in fighting it. You get a few mods and lose all your consumables in the process.

Standard Fireangel was my preferred build way back when before the requirements were made more "practical". I think they were... Badass, Juggler, lvl1 Ironman? Something like that. Worked well for me as I'll pretty much always go for Badass and Juggler unless I'm on a challenge game, and it didn't restrict your weapon use all that much.

I'll also argue that Shottyman is nigh-useless: You shouldn't ever be reloading in combat. If you're fighting when positioned somewhere you can't retreat from, then you have bigger problems than reload times. Unlike 10mm, shotgun ammo can be found in large quantites right through hell, so there's nothing stopping you from just scouting constantly and leading investigating enemies to corners from where you can knockback-reload-loop them, or (in worse scenarios) just spamming that out-of-sight Baron/Mancubus with 1-damage shells until it dies from attrition.

The Cyberdemon's rocket launcher is probably the only one that suffers from that obnoxious Fireangel bug :/

I think Cybie's rocket launcher is less a rocket launcher and more a BFG. If that's the case it wouldn't have a "projectile" to cause a direct hit, hence the bug.

On the subject, I'm liking his new(ish?) AI. No more pillardance cheese!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 08:29:56 am by 3 »

Demilich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: September 28, 2011, 08:43:46 am »

Eh, I love mods. I like to get the schematics for completions sake, too. I mean, I'm never going to waste mods making, say, fireproof boots. And chances are I'll never find enough onyx or nano packs to get all the assemblies for them either. Gotta catch 'em all.

As for shottyman, I frequently get into situations where I'm circling a piece of cover with a cacodemon/hell knight/baron in a position where if I stop to reload, they'll hit me. So with shottyman I can just move while reloading, then blow them back a square to permanently lock them in a position where they can't attack. And with shottyman and dodgemaster, the supershotty turns you into a nightmare. Dodgemaster is great for comedy value, too. You can moonwalk the Cyberdemon to death and he can't do a goddamn thing about it. 
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 102