Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 102

Author Topic: DoomRL 0.9.9.6 out, GRAPHIC TILES  (Read 158913 times)

Apple Master

• Bay Watcher
  • The Master of Apples. IT IS AN APPLE
    • View Profile
Re: DoomRL: Hell just froze over
« Reply #1380 on: March 31, 2011, 03:59:23 am »

So I recently picked this up again, realising that I never got very far in my previous attempts at playing it. My average game this time around gets to level 10.
However, on my first game of this era, I asked someone what to do at "The Wall". They said to break it down with my rocket launcher for loot, so I did so.
Little did I expect TEN HELL KNIGHTS GOD DAMN.
PSN: SirAppleforth. Add me and say you're from Bay12!

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: March 31, 2011, 04:05:34 am »

So I recently picked this up again, realising that I never got very far in my previous attempts at playing it. My average game this time around gets to level 10.
However, on my first game of this era, I asked someone what to do at "The Wall". They said to break it down with my rocket launcher for loot, so I did so.
Little did I expect TEN HELL KNIGHTS GOD DAMN.
You think hell knights are bad?

Starting on HNTR there's:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And, starting on UV, there's:

Trust me, you had it easy.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Apple Master

• Bay Watcher
  • The Master of Apples. IT IS AN APPLE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: March 31, 2011, 05:21:25 am »

I don't doubt it, I still got demolished though ):
PSN: SirAppleforth. Add me and say you're from Bay12!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: March 31, 2011, 10:27:12 am »

Oddly, that's the easiest level to take without taking any damage.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: March 31, 2011, 02:40:53 pm »

Oddly, that's the easiest level to take without taking any damage.

Just hope to god you have a lot of ammo on hand. I can burn through an entire inventory of ammo there depending on the weapon. Things can go awry really fast if the Barons rush you.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: March 31, 2011, 10:39:46 pm »

I once cleared the wall, only to find out that I had destroyed
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: April 01, 2011, 04:16:37 am »

Question about Angel of Pacifism.
What are the strategy that really help without :
-save scumming
-having insane luck in generated level for stairs not too far
-finding awesome very rare unique armor and lots of invulnerability orbs
-monster locations not leading you in some impossible survival situations
-without exploiting the "we go roughly to the centre of the level" behaviour of the monsters AI.

For the traits, my test in Angel of Pacifism seems to indicate those are good choices :

I went to the Dodgemaster path (Hellrunner) to have bonus in moving speed (Hellrunner) then have the dodging working, as finding good armor early was not really going to happen unless very lucky.
But while it really helps when you face very few monsters in one direction, there's a lot of luck involved in what kind of level you're spawned as quickly shots can go from many direction leading your Dodgemaster skill to not be efficient anymore.
And when the big guns start to spawn, Dodgemaster is useless against the area of damage of the explosions from their shots (and the chain reactions of lava/exploding barrels of course).

Then because i was noticing Dodgemaster was not going to get my character surviving anymore as it was taking often damage, i went to the Though as Nail path, leading into Badass so enemy damage would be lessened and health would not decay when over 100.
I believe it made a real difference, especially once i found some red armor, this increased the survivability.
But again, depend a lot of luck in the levels, as it's easy when you're spawned in a level infested of lava barrels with mancubus and revenants to get killed in seconds with the explosive chain reactions.

Finally, as it was seriously not enough, i went to Ironman, so i could have more max health, this didn't made any obvious difference in survival.

Anything that could help ?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 04:21:50 am by Robsoie »

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: April 01, 2011, 05:44:14 am »

The BIGGEST thing about pacifism is to ALWAYS stay along the outer wall. All creatures naturally go towards the center of the map, so if you head to the outer wall, they'll all go to the center.

If you get Intuition 2, you can see where all the creatures are. That may or may not help more then armor.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: April 01, 2011, 08:05:39 am »

Ah yes, i forgot about the intuition skill, certainly very very usefull as there are many monsters you don't want to face during a pacifism run.
Certainly more usefull to invest points here than in Badass and Ironman that didn't made much difference.
So it should probably be :
Hellrunner -> Hellrunner -> Dodgemaster
Eagle Eye -> Eagle Eye -> Intuition -> Intuition
So you should get some more chance of surviving when reaching level 7, basically you'll get level 7 when reaching the 13th dungeon floor if you have not used a branch.

Dodgemaster is certainly a must considering you want to lower the chances a missile will hit you.
While Eagle Eye will be totally useless, those 2 points wasted there are needed to unlock Intuition
Probably one should unlock Intuition before Dodgemaster, as big guns will appear soon enough, and if you can't know where they are, you're gonna have a hard time when trying to reach any stairs.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: April 03, 2011, 09:44:17 pm »

Motherfucker

I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: April 03, 2011, 09:48:39 pm »

Shit man, you had the Jackhammer too.  What bad timing.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: April 03, 2011, 10:09:10 pm »

That... sucks.  Damn. Better luck next time.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: April 03, 2011, 10:18:44 pm »

Goes to show you: Unlike Angel Arm overcharging nuclear weapons makes them countdown. Remember that kids. And that the Lava Element lasts 10 seconds.

Dorten

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: April 04, 2011, 03:49:38 am »

Also about AoP:

Fireangel?
Cacodemon 2nd Leutenant
medals: 8/40
specials: 30/44
badges: 13:8:3:0:0

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: April 05, 2011, 01:53:06 pm »

Was gonna suggest Fireangel too.  Its prerequisites might not all be helpful, but the perk itself will save your bacon if area effect is being a huge problem for you.

Good luck against archviles and mancubi, though.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 102