Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 102

Author Topic: DoomRL 0.9.9.6 out, GRAPHIC TILES  (Read 159023 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: DoomRL: Hell just froze over
« Reply #1230 on: November 27, 2010, 04:29:22 pm »

Ah, so i must change direction each turn ?
Maybe that's why the trait seemed to do nothing and more than half the shots directly hit my character (i just thought that Dodgemaster was just not working, and only Hellrunner and its luck dependant dodging percentage was working there), as when i was side stepping i was always going in a same direction.

Dorten

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: November 28, 2010, 10:55:13 pm »

AFAIK Sidestepping works like that: every time you move, enemy can shoot not to the cell you are on, bit to your previous position. Doesn't help much, if you go towards the enemy.
Cacodemon 2nd Leutenant
medals: 8/40
specials: 30/44
badges: 13:8:3:0:0

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: November 28, 2010, 11:18:34 pm »

Unless you always move diagonally.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Dorten

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: November 29, 2010, 03:24:14 am »

Got me fancy signature  :D
Cacodemon 2nd Leutenant

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: November 30, 2010, 07:45:10 pm »

Alright, So I'm not quite as cool as Tarran, but I'm still pretty damn proud of this.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm starting to think that Angel of Max Carnage is easier than normal mode. It's less forgiving of mistakes, but once you make it through the early game, as long as you don't screw up you're fine.

Notable achievements this game include clearing the vaults without taking damage and finding my first pain elemental cave...right after i threw away my shotgun.

Now I just need 1 more silver badge to make 1st Lt.

Dorten

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: November 30, 2010, 11:32:29 pm »

I'm starting to think that Angel of Max Carnage is easier than normal mode. It's less forgiving of mistakes, but once you make it through the early game, as long as you don't screw up you're fine.
Well, AoMC IS easier than  normal game. Just be patient and shoot whatever you see before it can shoot you.
I'm wondering how it will be at N!, though, since my tactic of run on spot until someone shows his ugly demon face will not work there for obvious reasons.
Cacodemon 2nd Leutenant

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: November 30, 2010, 11:47:45 pm »

Well, AoMC IS easier than  normal game. Just be patient and shoot whatever you see before it can shoot you.
Yep, it is easier to win. But at the same time it's MUCH easier to die if you get screwed over by the RNG's level generation.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Dorten

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: December 01, 2010, 12:21:03 am »

Yep, it is easier to win. But at the same time it's MUCH easier to die if you get screwed over by the RNG's level generation.
Just give me an example, please, I can't think of any, except for the early levels, where you are not prepared yet.
And another thing for AoMC. With increase of difficulty level, it doesn't get that much harder than in other challenges. Cause the increased tohit of monsters is ruled out of equation. Yay.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 12:22:39 am by Dorten »
Cacodemon 2nd Leutenant

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: December 01, 2010, 02:05:39 am »

Just give me an example, please, I can't think of any, except for the early levels, where you are not prepared yet.
Tl;dr, even in the late game, if you get surrounded by mid-high level enemies, the chance to die in AoMC is MUCH higher then in a normal game. Since they almost always hit, and do MUCH more damage compared to normal games.

That said, it's still much easier then normal UV games. At the same time however, as I said, if you're screwed over even a little bit in a AoMC game your screwed-over-meter goes about twice as high as normal UV games.

...Ehhh, looking over this again I think I might've given poor examples. However, I still stand by the "if you're screwed over even a little bit in a AoMC game your screwed-over-meter goes about twice as high as normal UV games" stance.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Dorten

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: December 01, 2010, 02:19:36 am »

The examples are quite good, methinks. You are absolutely right there. Need to come up with a way of reducing such risks, scout-shooting is always good for example
Cacodemon 2nd Leutenant

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: December 01, 2010, 02:39:57 am »

:D

Sometimes the RNG screws you over, sometimes it screws others over. Man, do I feel sorry for those guys.

Just thought I'd show that just because those guys got extremely unlucky.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: December 01, 2010, 07:58:27 am »

I don't know if I could kill a Hell Knight, Cacodemon and Arachnodemon in three seconds with a normal chaingun before they pump an equal amount of damage into me. Perhaps if you, dare I say it, had a double shotgun prepared then perhaps.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: December 01, 2010, 08:41:39 am »

I've rencently fallen in love with juggler for just the reason. Being able to instantly switch between a shotgun, combat shotgun, double shotgun and finally a chain gun means you can bring a lot of dakka to the table really, really fast.

I love it so much I've started taking it as my second talent.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: December 16, 2010, 06:55:56 pm »

Oh yes. I finally finished HMP Ao100! Whew, that was both fun and tedious(I first did 26 levels yesterday, and then the remaining 74 today in one setting).

The game was really generous with nod packs and unique armor. Also, it gave me three great exotics; the Plasma Shotgun, two Laser Rifles, and one Firestorm mod. It also gave me a missile launcher, but it was destroyed by freaking Barons before I could get it. The game also gave me a lot of nukes, which is why so many levels were nuked(usually after I cleared them. Level 100, however, I found an invincibility and just nuked the damn place to kingdom come). Below is the list of exotics and unique I remember finding.
  1 Dragonslayer which I couldn't pick up. So you're going to have to take my word for it.
  1 Anti-Freak Jackal.
  1 Hell Staff.
  1 Grammaton Cleric Beretta.
  1 Railgun.
  1 Cybernetic Armor.
  2-3 Assault Shotguns.
  1 Plasma Shotgun.
  2 Laser Rifles.
  2 Phaseshift armors.
  2 Gothic armors.
  1-2 Phaseshift boots.
  1 Gothic boots.
  1 Blaster.
  1 Missile Launcher.

If you're asking "Why did you bring along so many armors and weapons that you clearly barely or never used near the end?", my response is that I was doing so well and I was rarely running low on medpacks and ammo that I thought I'd bring those weapons to the end as trophies.

I have a new found respect for the Plasma Shotgun. It's just... So good. It became my Panic button about as soon as I started using it. It's like a Assault Shotgun on steroids, and it easily puts the Assault Shotgun to shame. My P2 Plasma Shotgun just mowed down and knocked out of sight groups of high level enemies so fast and even acted like a sniper-rifle that killed people out of my LoS at times. It also destroyed walls, which was both good and bad, but mostly good. Sure, it took up plasma ammo like no-one's business, but I had a lot of excess plasma cells anyway. I highly recommend that you bring along if you find it in any of your runs if you can use it, it's just amazingly good for almost everyone.

The Laser Rifle is also a great weapon. Easily better then a Plasma Rifle if put on same footing because it barely ever misses.

The Gothic armor is also quite good if you can offset the speed penalty somewhat. A power modded Onyx armor is also a great choice since you effectively have unlimited Red Armor.

Whew, finally done with that game. Man, am I tired. Too bad I didn't get any badges. New high score though.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 07:02:44 pm by Tarran »

boatie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: December 31, 2010, 08:17:21 am »

Update from the creator's blog, with a screen shot of a tileset he's working on. Huge tease

http://blog.chaosforge.org/articles/52/chaosforge-2010-post-mortem-i-m-not-dead-yet

Edit: More research has shown there has been other news about this... a year ago
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 08:19:55 am by boatie »
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 102