Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 102

Author Topic: DoomRL 0.9.9.6 out, GRAPHIC TILES  (Read 159029 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: DoomRL: Hell just froze over
« Reply #1215 on: November 24, 2010, 06:10:27 pm »

Arachnotron caves late on on a normal(ish) game?: Not so bad.
Arachnotron caves early on on a normal(ish) game?: Nasty.
Arachnotron caves early on on a AoMC game with no large healthpacks (what just happened to me)?: PainDeathKill.

Argh, freaking RNG.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: November 24, 2010, 10:55:35 pm »

PEW PEW, Mr. Cyberdemon. I just KICKED YOUR ASS!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Wow, look at all those badges.

Okay, I'll try to remember the game as best I can.

Early on, I got a Combat Shotgun and a Chaingun before Hell's Arena. I completed Hell's Arena with almost no damage (just slightly upsetting since my last attempt had me taking no damage at all. Though on that run I died sadly).

As the game went on, the Combat Shotgun proved itself to be an excellent ranged weapon if you can hit. The chaingun also proved to be a good ranged weapon whenever my shotgun runs out or the enemies are hiding somewhere.

The Chained Court went smooth. I hid in the first room with the chaingun, shooting until everyone was dead. Then I broke the walls near the doors of rooms with the Barons, then I walked out of their LoS and shotgun'd them to death, then looted them. Afterwards I only took one Agility mod because I was almost full on ammo for my weapons and it was likely I'd find another one later.

I eventually got a Plasma Rifle(that I would carry to the end of the game) and then Ammochain. I continued mowing my way through hundreds. usually I downed an enemy with one burst each. Then I entered The Wall. I started it off blasting a wall and waiting. When I first got my kill(a Baron) I waited and waited for someone else to pop up while continually killing that Baron that I killed earlier (which may be why my Baron kill-count is quite high). Eventually I mowed them all down and got the Phat l00t.

The Halls of Carnage went quite easily. Not much to report about it. However, I got the BFG. The same one that I carried on to the end of the game.

Hellgate went like this: Blast walls before ambush. Kill people hiding in walls. Trigger trap and finish remainder. Walk to one tile away from BB-me wall separator trigger, remove armor and start running. Trigger trap and run all the way back to the begining. Put armor on and fire blindly right with Plasma Rifle. Wait for the surviving Brother to appear and give him some warm Plasma. Finish up and leave.

The City of Skulls went quite easily. Once again not much to report. But I got the second BFG that *SPOILERS*I never use the entire game*SPOILERS*.

I got to The Vaults and cleared out both rooms to the side. Nothing of worth. I then used one Phase Device and I got lucky and entered the center. I fired my Plasma Rifle a few times before firing my BFG (which might've destroyed something valuable. Whoops.), then I mowed them down with my Plasma Rifle. Didn't use many healthpacks. Unfortunately there was nothing of worth. The Vaults had been a waste of time...

I eventually entered the Mortuary with Invincibility. I started counting my Arch-vile kills. One, two, PEW PEW three, PEW PEW four, PEW PEW five, ran out of Invincibility PEW PEW PEW six... PEWPEWPEW seven, PEWPEWPEWPEWPEW all clear! Oh look, Angelic Armor! Nuclear BFG! Power and Bulk mods! WOOT.

When I entered level 23 I had a choice: Lava Pits or a normal level hoping that Invincibility. Either way, the level afterwards would definitely be Cyberdemon. I gave up the Lava Pits hoping I would get Invincibility. Unfortunately... There wasn't a single Invincibility on level 24. Dammit. That sucks. Oh well, at least I'll get a normal win...

So, Cyberdemon. I waited for him behind a pillar. He was being stupid and staring at a pillar trying to figure a way to get through it to me. I eventually got impatient and moved. Oh, there he is *Runs back behind pillar*. Let's see how much you like BFG! *PEW* *BOOM BOOM* he doesn't die. He fires back. I take a Large Healthpack, pull out my trusty Plasma Rifle and DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA, he dies. VICTORY!

The only thing upsetting is not getting Invincibility. Because I gave up the Lava Pits hoping I would've gotten Invincibility. No matter, I'm still happy about this win.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Dorten

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: November 24, 2010, 11:05:55 pm »

Just found out one strange buggish thing, that I never noticed before: former commando + arch vile = infinite plasma rifles (with cell in them!)

Cool.

Also: The wall wasn't generated.  :'(
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 11:34:53 pm by Dorten »
Cacodemon 2nd Leutenant
medals: 8/40
specials: 30/44
badges: 13:8:3:0:0

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: November 24, 2010, 11:14:28 pm »

Just found out one strange buggish thing, that I never noticed before: former commando + arch vile = infinite plasma rifles (with cell in them!)

Cool.
Heh, yeah, Arch-viles+ammo carrying enemies can be a source of infinite ammo. You should've seen all the crap that piled up when I was mowing down a squad of Formers backed up with an Arch-vile. If I had needed the 10mm ammo I'm pretty sure I would've gotten more then enough for around three or more stacks of it. Excluding the Shotgun ammo.

Dorten

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: November 25, 2010, 12:06:59 am »

Whoops...
Cacodemon 2nd Leutenant

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: November 25, 2010, 12:16:34 am »

Heh, I bet you're going to make a bunch of Barons of Hell happy today with all that ammo (for some reason they seem to like to pick up that stuff a lot). Before you kill them of course.

Dorten

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: November 25, 2010, 07:01:24 am »

I did it!  :D
A pity, that there was no invincibility on L24. Either that, or it has been destroyed in the process...
Now for AoS...
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 07:05:51 am by Dorten »
Cacodemon 2nd Leutenant

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: November 25, 2010, 02:48:55 pm »

You certainly had a better time finding exotics/uniques then I did (I never even found a single randomly generated one).

Good luck on AoS, it's proven to be quite a challenge for me so far.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 03:05:03 pm by Tarran »

ZhangC1459

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: November 25, 2010, 06:12:03 pm »

Dude Angel of Max Carnage sounds fun, but I can't bloody get a third silver badge.  I've died five times on AoSg on like 23 or 24. It BLOWS

my last run I had a Jackhammer, and I died on level 24 BECAUSE I RAN OUT OF BLOODY AMMO.  I even had cybernetic armor with onyx pack...

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: November 25, 2010, 06:15:11 pm »

How did you manage to run out of ammo on AoS? So long as you're playing on HNTR, commandos should spawn with tons of sergeants in tow. It's the one mode where ammo really isn't a concern as far as I'm aware. How many stacks are you usually carrying around?

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: November 25, 2010, 09:11:05 pm »

It was the JACKHAMMER. You know, the streetsweeper? They call it that for a reason.  Anyway, that thing CHEWS through ammo.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: November 25, 2010, 09:15:30 pm »

Eh. Only if you've above not keeping your regular combat shotgun for scouting.

ZhangC1459

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: November 27, 2010, 08:15:44 am »

How did you manage to run out of ammo on AoS? So long as you're playing on HNTR, commandos should spawn with tons of sergeants in tow. It's the one mode where ammo really isn't a concern as far as I'm aware. How many stacks are you usually carrying around?
That's the thing,  I became stupid for some reason.  That and it was a Jackhammer... I don't think I kept my Combat shotty, it was pretty much Assault shotgun + Jackhammer, which meant I ran out of ammo quite quickly because I'm retarded

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: November 27, 2010, 03:30:13 pm »

Question about Dodgemaster :
Code: [Select]
The first sidestep/dodge in a given turn automatically succeeds. In a test run in which i took Helrunner -> Hellrunner -> Dodgemaster , my character file side stepping (in comparison to the monster position of course) never managed to dodge more than 20 % of the shots fired at him.

While it's understandable for archviles or revenants that never miss their shots, i don't understand why cacodemons/hell knights/archnotron were nearly always able to land a hit while i was "side stepping".

Is there a gameplay design i don't understand there ?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: November 27, 2010, 03:45:31 pm »

If you've take more than one step in a given direction (I think that's the way it works), you'll automatically dodge the first shot fired at you in that turn. I've never had any issues with it, and it essentially gives you a free win against Cybie (if you have issues with that sort of thing).

Technically Arch-Viles do miss/can be dodged (they've actually got pretty bad accuracy) but as their shots always land directly on your square, you'll always get hit by the splash. This is yet another reason why I preferred the old, versatile Fireangel.
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 102