Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 102

Author Topic: DoomRL 0.9.9.6 out, GRAPHIC TILES  (Read 159040 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: DoomRL: Hell just froze over
« Reply #1185 on: November 20, 2010, 01:16:56 pm »

If you close with them they can't attack you.
I didn't knew that.
Interesting, will have to get revenge on the Mancubi now.

ZhangC1459

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: November 20, 2010, 02:53:43 pm »

I didn't knew that.

yeah, apparently most monsters have a certain range at which they'll use their ranged attacks, too far out and you can shoot them while they come up, too close (i.e. within splash damage range or right next to them) they'll move or melee.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: November 20, 2010, 03:22:41 pm »

Note that two spaces away is enough for them to blast you point blank.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: November 20, 2010, 03:52:48 pm »

If you have ranks in Hellrunner you can usually do some damage and pop behind a corner before they can react. That's how I found them easy on my Marksman run going for GK.

This is good advice in general. Using Hellrunner effecively (if you can spare the slots) makes AoMs runs far less painful than they need to be.

The best way of dealing with Mancubi is, of course, to not have to get in their line of fire at all. This is generally easier with Mancubi than most other enemies because 1. they generally appear alone or in small groups; 2. they don't fly; and 3. they only appear in hell so there's lots of napalm barrels around to limit their potential movement with. Find a way to block them with lava and they're not much of a threat so long as there aren't Viles around.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: November 20, 2010, 07:01:34 pm »

I didn't knew that.

yeah, apparently most monsters have a certain range at which they'll use their ranged attacks, too far out and you can shoot them while they come up, too close (i.e. within splash damage range or right next to them) they'll move or melee.

Currently many end-game enemy don't have any melee attacks. These include mancubi, revanants and archviles. Arachnotrons still have a melee attack, is just sucks compared to plasma.

Creative use of doors and medpacks to get sergeants, captains and commandos into melee can really cut down on damage taken.

ZhangC1459

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: November 21, 2010, 03:31:06 pm »

I didn't knew that.

Currently many end-game enemy don't have any melee attacks. These include mancubi, revanants and archviles. Arachnotrons still have a melee attack, is just sucks compared to plasma.

Creative use of doors and medpacks to get sergeants, captains and commandos into melee can really cut down on damage taken.

Oh god.  Sergeants are the bane of my existence on melee runs.  Captains and commandos not so much since I usually have dodgemaster by the time I get commandos and the Captains always seem to get shot by the people behind them (usually sergeants), but... fucking shotguns and their always hitting, i tell you.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: November 21, 2010, 03:44:53 pm »

Small medpacks are for dropping, not using. When you see a sergeant, back up, drop a pack and keep backing up until it's out of site our you can get into a door way, then drop another one. Wait until the sergeant pops up next to you and stomp his face in. Rinse and repeat as needed.

Dorten

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: November 22, 2010, 07:10:34 am »

Me is also stuck on Kill 5 mancubi in melee...  :'(

I have one killed in melee from my only good berserk run, when I found the Butchers Cleaver on level 2. I even got the LS then. But  I still died afterwards...
Cacodemon 2nd Leutenant
medals: 8/40
specials: 30/44
badges: 13:8:3:0:0

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: November 22, 2010, 11:23:50 am »

Ah screw it, time to finally beat those mancubi to death...I've been stuck on mancubi rank for more than 6 months now. Will report my success.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: November 22, 2010, 11:38:07 am »

Strangely enough, I'm still a Sergeant Major despite achieving Hell Knight Rank. Stupid standard win still eludes me.

Think those mancubi are tough? To reach Hell Knight, you have to kill 200 Hell knights, Kill 50 hell knights with Pistols, and an additional 20 in melee.

And now I have to kill 500 barons of hell :/

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: November 22, 2010, 11:44:31 am »

Time for some Ao100 runs, and perhaps some AoMC ones to smooth them out.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: November 22, 2010, 11:52:07 am »

Strangely enough, I'm still a Sergeant Major despite achieving Hell Knight Rank. Stupid standard win still eludes me.

Think those mancubi are tough? To reach Hell Knight, you have to kill 200 Hell knights, Kill 50 hell knights with Pistols, and an additional 20 in melee.

And now I have to kill 500 barons of hell :/

I think I've done that already...

EDIT: not quite, I've killed 750 hell knights, 191 of them with pistols, and 19 of them in melee. I've only killed 303 barons of hell however.

If you need a standard win try going for a intuition build, it gives you the flexibility to use whatever you find.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 12:02:43 pm by BishopX »

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: November 22, 2010, 03:55:43 pm »

Time for some Ao100 runs
Watch out for Mancubi teaming up with Arch-viles, they ended my HMP runs twice so far.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

ZhangC1459

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: November 22, 2010, 05:07:08 pm »

Time for some Ao100 runs
Watch out for Mancubi teaming up with Arch-viles, they ended my HMP runs twice so far.

ew.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: November 22, 2010, 05:51:35 pm »

GodDAMMIT. See what I mean about Mancubi teaming up with Arch-viles?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
*Sigh*, that's the third time I died to a Mancubi+2 Arch-vile squad on HMP Ao100. I really should've positioned myself better then I did. Man, I was doing so well...
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 102