Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 102

Author Topic: DoomRL 0.9.9.6 out, GRAPHIC TILES  (Read 159111 times)

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
Re: DoomRL: Hell just froze over
« Reply #1170 on: November 18, 2010, 01:21:41 am »

But you're sacrificing the instant reload.  That's the main draw.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Dorten

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: November 18, 2010, 01:28:33 am »

You shoot them baddies back so hard, that you do not need auto reload.

Also: If the game can start some kind of holywar (it IS holywar, right?), then it's a DAMN GOOD GAME!
Cacodemon 2nd Leutenant
medals: 8/40
specials: 30/44
badges: 13:8:3:0:0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: November 18, 2010, 07:17:04 am »

Another thing about GK: due to the fact that most of your shots do so little actual damage on a GK build (they'll all get absorbed by armour) compared to a pure-damage build, you tend to utterly shred through ammo. In fact, before I twigged about building up pistol damage rather than going for GK, running out of ammo in hell was the biggest issue I faced.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: November 18, 2010, 05:51:16 pm »

I was wondering, is there a point in acquiring the master trait "Cateye" that increase your view for 2 tiles, when Intuition 2 that is much quicker to obtain (need to be minimum level 4 to get Intuition 2 while Cateye need to be level 6 minimum), will reveal the presence of enemies way beyond that range , beyond walls etc... ?

On my so far only win i just loved Ammochain after i acquired a plasma rifle.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: November 18, 2010, 06:33:03 pm »

Yes, if you blindfire out of your LOS you have a 50% chance to miss even if you would've hit the enemy if the enemy was in your LOS. "Seeing" an enemy with Intuition 2 outside of your LOS doesn't mean that the enemy is in your LOS (I think), thus you'll still have a -50% penalty to hitting your target if you blindfire. Cateye will increase your LOS by 2, meaning you'll get 2 more tiles where your chance to hit isn't cut in half. Personally I don't think it would be worth it unless you're a person that needs to get the first shot at your enemy.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 06:34:55 pm by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: November 18, 2010, 06:37:09 pm »

Also, unless it's been changed, the enemy AI doesn't react properly to Cateye, so as long as enemies are at the edge of your view range, they won't fire at you or do anything particularly significant.

ZhangC1459

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: November 18, 2010, 09:18:53 pm »

Ok, well, the wiki lied to me.  Those bastards.

Whatever, I'm done with AoMr until I can get some other challenges done, working on AoS.

@tarran I know what you mean, the RNG does that to me.  I mean, I just got two red armors on the second level, one was on the ground and the other was on a former sergeant.  But the worst was an aforementioned AoS (or AoMr, i don't remember) run where I found the railgun in hell's Armory and couldn't use it.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: November 18, 2010, 11:25:39 pm »

Ah thanks, i didn't knew about the 50% hit chance penalty when firing in the fog of war.
So there's an interest to Cateye along Intuition 2 after all.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: November 19, 2010, 07:54:26 am »

Unless you use shotguns, in which case Intuition is enough.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: November 19, 2010, 02:26:36 pm »

Unless you use shotguns, in which case Intuition is enough.
Or ammochain. Though you can't get Intuition with it, just keep firing and you'll kill everything down range eventually.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: November 19, 2010, 02:35:32 pm »

You don't need intuition with Ammochain, you just need to always be shooting everything forever.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: November 19, 2010, 02:57:16 pm »

You don't need intuition with Ammochain, you just need to always be shooting everything forever.
BFG 10k once with it. After that I just walked to the nearest corner and walked it across the whole map. At least until I started between the 7 arachnotrons on a cave level.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: November 20, 2010, 09:54:46 am »

I was puzzled on how i would ever manage to kill 10 cacodemons with pistols to advance to rank "Cacodemon"
But then i tried for the 2nd time an Angel of Marksmanship (my first attempt was rather a disaster despite i earned the bronze badge for it by surviving up to floor 12, i was nearly dying at each levels) and to my own surprise my character killed 33 of them.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I was surprised how much i killed with the pistols on that run, though i was lucky to find more healing items and blue armors early that sure helped my character to get his head out of the water.

... until i met 2 Mancubus that ruined easily my already badly damaged red armor in few seconds and annihilated me at great speed (i really wonder if those dodging traits do something or if i was plain unlucky).

For the next rank, while i have already killed the 20 Mancubi required, but the other conditions sound insane, i'm always finding me lucky when i manage to kill a Mancubus already with some good weapon, but now i need to get them with pistols and melee ?
No way i can do that even if i was surprised to take down the 2 bruiser brother with my pistols :D
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 09:57:02 am by Robsoie »

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: November 20, 2010, 10:03:39 am »

The trick with the mancubi is to fight them in an open area. They fire 3 rockets at once, only the 1st is actually aimed at you. You can dodge that one, but if you're in an enclosed area the blasts from the other two will kill you. You can get a whole bunch of mancubi melee kills playing as berserker build on easy, or you can carry around a chainsaw in your normal runs. If you close with them they can't attack you.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: November 20, 2010, 11:06:30 am »

If you have ranks in Hellrunner you can usually do some damage and pop behind a corner before they can react. That's how I found them easy on my Marksman run going for GK.
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 102