Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 102

Author Topic: DoomRL 0.9.9.6 out, GRAPHIC TILES  (Read 159103 times)

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DoomRL: Hell just froze over
« Reply #1155 on: November 17, 2010, 08:36:34 am »

What I'm interested in finding out is.. The Wall level? Is it even possible to clear without a ton of luck? I mean you find it at a fairly early stage in the game (I'm assuming anyway?) It seems like blasting the wall with a launcher is the only way to open it up, but the party crew that follows is.. unbearable. I can barely kill 3-4 of them without going down in a mist of blood.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: November 17, 2010, 08:51:27 am »

And you WILL lose a lot of health on that stage.
Yes, that's what i hope to prevent, but out of the rocket launcher trick (and so wasting a lot of rockets) i can't find a solution to solve the "save the health/armor" puzzle on that level.

For The Wall, i'm not sure its location is balanced.

I too see it often in the 1st half of the game, when you are lucky if you found a rocket launcher and even if you found one, you'll not have that much rockets at the point , and considering what's await behind the wall, i don't see how you can take them all out.

And when i read what's in it in higher level of difficulty, i don't see how it is even possible at all at the point the entrance to The Wall is generated.

Strange guy

• Bay Watcher
  • Strangely normal
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #1157 on: November 17, 2010, 10:24:33 am »

The Walls certainly possible, I've certainly completed it. Though I do agree it is often too early, I skip it most of the time due to not having a weapon to break it down, or not having enough rockets or not having the skills and equipment required to clear it. Later spawning Walls are fine though.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: November 17, 2010, 10:35:31 am »

On a normal run with a rocket launcher the Wall is one of the only levels I know I can beat without taking a scratch. The basic strategy is to blast away either the midtop or midbottom sections of the wall. You want the hole somewhat close to the middle so the baddies on the other side will trickle through, but distinctly from the top or bottom so they will only come from one direction. Then park yourself on the other side of the corner on your side and use the wait-till-you-see-a-baddie command 'till some SOB shows his head. Then liberal use of shotgun. A normal one should have enough kick to knock them back long enough for them to never be able to hit you around the corner.

Code: [Select]
...#####...
..B#####...
.BB#####...
..B#####@..
.....B.....
...#####...
Works better if you have levels in SoB, so chaingun users should find this ideal. A double shotgun is recommended for those who don't have enough damage buffs to knock them back reliably enough to pull this off.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: November 17, 2010, 12:13:14 pm »

I usually use your rocket method, I find you need about 8 rockets to get most of the lost souls. The other option is run part way back or forward and use a double shotgun to pick off a whole bunch of the souls at once.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: November 17, 2010, 01:35:45 pm »

A good practice i found to get rid of the small amount of rockets in inventory is to fight in Hell's Arena and become champion.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oh and YES !
So happy.
And it unlocked 2 more challenges apparently, as i won then enough badges to reach Demon - Corporal rank.

Getting good weapon early makes a big difference, the combat shotgun then the chaingun managed to get me through nearly everything.
Of course the traits helped a very lot, increasing damage, rapid fire and infinite ammo strongly help with the 2 power mod i added to my chaingun too.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: November 17, 2010, 02:29:06 pm »

Completing Hell's Arena is pretty much mandatory imo, especially when it comes to the weapon-specific challenges (in which you have very little to lose). I usually quit if I have to use a medipack during the arena, at least on HNTR.

I really should start getting into the swing of playing this again - I haven't paid 0.9.9.1 much attention since the Fireangel requirements changed, locking out my favourite general build. It still works, but nowhere near as well as it did in prior versions.

ZhangC1459

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: November 17, 2010, 02:38:57 pm »

A good practice i found to get rid of the small amount of rockets in inventory is to fight in Hell's Arena and become champion.

Oh and YES !
So happy.
And it unlocked 2 more challenges apparently, as i won then enough badges to reach Demon - Corporal rank.

Getting good weapon early makes a big difference, the combat shotgun then the chaingun managed to get me through nearly everything.
Of course the traits helped a very lot, increasing damage, rapid fire and infinite ammo strongly help with the 2 power mod i added to my chaingun too.

Nothing against your win, but why the fuck would you use a bulk mod on a piece of armor with infinite durability? It does nothing but waste a mod slot and a bulk mod.  For Onyx armor, use a power mod instead.

For the wall: basically, what Duke said: Blast away a hole in either near-top or near-bottom, park at a corner with a shotgun, apply liberally.  Hell, you can even blind-fire around a corner and if you hear screams, repeat.  Just don't do it with a rocket launcher, because if you miss too many times you might blow up the goodies.

For the Hellgate: Upon getting there, I pick up the armor and medkits, and then what I do is use the health globes as a buffer (over 100%) and then tab-run away from the lost souls back to the door with either double shotgun or combat shotgun, then I park one space behind the door and close the door every time i reload.  The Cacodemons on higher levels will kill the lost souls in groups.

Alternatively, if you have a double shotgun with the Shottyman skill, you can run once till they bunch up, shoot a group of them (the spread should hit at least three at once and kill them), move another space, shoot again, then run back to the door.

Or if you've already done the Halls of Carnage, use your BFG.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: November 17, 2010, 02:47:20 pm »

Nothing against your win, but why the fuck would you use a bulk mod on a piece of armor with infinite durability? It does nothing but waste a mod slot and a bulk mod.  For Onyx armor, use a power mod instead.
Mostly because i found the Onyx Armor on level 23, just before finding Malek's Armor on level 24.
And at this point i only had 2 bulk mods in my inventory , no power mod or anything else.

I believed that Malek's Armor was not going to protect enough (it's protection is roughly equal to a blue armor, and as i was not sure what to expect from the last level, out of taking lots of missile in my face, , i decided to go with the Onyx one).

So why not waste those 2 bulk mod that had then no more use for fun on an armor that has no need of them :) ?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: November 17, 2010, 03:59:22 pm »

Finally, an AoLT win. Nothing special, but it wasn't as difficult as I had thought. I ended up skipping most of hell as I wouldn't have had enough ammo (and, like the coward weakling that I am, wasn't prepared to take them with my fists).

ZhangC1459

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: November 17, 2010, 07:16:22 pm »

Mostly because i found the Onyx Armor on level 23, just before finding Malek's Armor on level 24.
And at this point i only had 2 bulk mods in my inventory , no power mod or anything else.

I believed that Malek's Armor was not going to protect enough (it's protection is roughly equal to a blue armor, and as i was not sure what to expect from the last level, out of taking lots of missile in my face, , i decided to go with the Onyx one).

So why not waste those 2 bulk mod that had then no more use for fun on an armor that has no need of them :) ?

Onyx armor's also the same as blue, I guess the only reason to use it is the unlimited dura.  XD

Either way, at least you won.  I've only won three times... lol

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: November 17, 2010, 07:20:07 pm »

Same as blue ? That's something the wiki does not mention (edit : oh yes it mentions it, protection : 2 i don't know why i thought it was the amount of mods you can put on it).
Ouch, i decided to use it thinking it was an improved red that was indestructible, i guess i'm then very lucky to have resisted all the missiles the *spoiler* sent in my character face (though fortunately, some teleportation device and large medic kit helped a lot ;) ).

« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 07:21:51 pm by Robsoie »

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: November 17, 2010, 09:49:39 pm »

Son of a gun.

I have a feeling the RNG wants to make me mad. It generated a vault on level 2 and what happens? When I pick up a computer map I see a Plasma Rifle in the vault. A PLASMA RIFLE on level 2! You just don't have that kind of luck that often. And I'm a Angel of Shotgunnery.

Not only that, but as I was killing a former human after entering the vault he used a phase device to escape me.

And after I killed him it turned out he had red armor on, which after I killed him had been damaged to 72% durability by me.

I hate the RNG.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: November 18, 2010, 01:10:07 am »

It happens.  I had something similar happen on an ammochain build, but I was murdered by something.  I forget what it was.  It was brutal.  It's not like you would have the ammo for a plasma gun at lvl 2 anyway.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Dorten

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: November 18, 2010, 01:11:06 am »

And another thing for Gun Kata: most damaging pisol build DOES NOT include GK, since it blocks SoB. Stop saying GK on me it makes me cry.

The wall is a cakewalk in most cases. On lighter difficulties there are only Barons, and even combat shotgun is enough for them. On UV there are Viles, but you are almost guaranteed toi have plasma by then.

Nightmare!... nothing is cakewalk on Nightmare!
Cacodemon 2nd Leutenant
medals: 8/40
specials: 30/44
badges: 13:8:3:0:0
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 102