Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 102

Author Topic: DoomRL 0.9.9.6 out, GRAPHIC TILES  (Read 159128 times)

ZhangC1459

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DoomRL: Hell just froze over
« Reply #1140 on: November 16, 2010, 04:42:43 pm »

HA! First Standard win on HNTR (Granted, this is AoMr, but hey, a win is a win, plus I got a silver badge for my trouble.)
Spoiler: Timo V's AoMr win (click to show/hide)

Basically, what happened is I found a homing phase device and an invuln globe on level 24. \o/ however, no nuke.  Which is just as well since dying to JC will not get me a badge. So even though I only had two starter pistols (and one power modded, the other vanilla), I ended up killing Cybie without even having to heal.  Sweet.  The RNG loved me for once (though I did get like 5 Arachnotron caves in a row, wtf.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: November 16, 2010, 05:41:46 pm »

Tried the Challenges for the 1st time tonight, managed to get the Berzeker Badge for dying on Phobos level 6 (the game was not kidding when it mentionned it was hard) and got a badge for the Marksmanship by dying on level 14.

After an epic duel with a Baron of Hell, shooting  and running around with my dual pistols, and to my own surprise surviving and taking the beast down on Phobos level 13, i entered and mostly cleaned level 14 , but heard some nasty sound indicating a Revenant close.
Something i doubt my low health would have allowed me to shoot, so hoping to quickly find the stairs, i entered a room ... facing directly the Revenant.
Instead of running away for some insane reason i began to dual shoot the thing by reflex.

The Revenant rocket right in my character face in retaliation for the rain of bullet that hit the monster made short work of my hope to find the stairs to the next level :D

So far my best game so far took my doom marine only into Phobos level 17, i'm always having lots of fun.

I noticed in my mortem.txt there is this mention about one of my previous characters:
1 of those was killed by something unknown.
What does this mean ? i don't remember something "unknown" anywhere ?

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: November 16, 2010, 06:04:56 pm »

I went back to this and I'm loving the updates. I have a question tho, can you modify an item more than (A1) or (T1)? I've been trying to get gun kata, but it gets really hard, even on the second difficulty choice.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: November 16, 2010, 06:12:45 pm »

I went back to this and I'm loving the updates. I have a question tho, can you modify an item more than (A1) or (T1)? I've been trying to get gun kata, but it gets really hard, even on the second difficulty choice.
Each level of the Whizkid perk increases weapon mod slots by two and armor mod slots by 1. There's also advanced weapons which can take 4 mods, and 4 more per level of Whizkid.
I'm guessing you met...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: November 16, 2010, 06:19:41 pm »

Each level of the Whizkid perk increases weapon mod slots by two and armor mod slots by 1. There's also advanced weapons which can take 4 mods, and 4 more per level of Whizkid.

I'm guessing you met...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Advanced weapons have been removed. Whizkid got buffed to compensate.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 12:09:53 pm by BishopX »

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: November 16, 2010, 06:24:06 pm »

Advanced weapons have been removed. Whizkid got buffed to compensate.
Adv. Double shotguns and rocket launchers still exist; just take a look at a few of the previously posted 0.9.9 post-mortems.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 06:26:17 pm by Blaze »

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: November 16, 2010, 06:26:29 pm »

You're a version off... the current version is 0.9.9.1

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: November 16, 2010, 06:30:51 pm »

About the "killed by something unknown" , apparently from the DoomRL chaosforge board it is death from acid created by a lever.
That i got indeed.

I knew it couldn't be the "spoiler" ;) as i have never reached that far.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: November 17, 2010, 12:07:31 am »

So after seeing this topic I started playing it again.

I don't quite remember it being this hard.

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Dorten

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: November 17, 2010, 12:09:26 am »

For all of you AoMc lovers:
Gun Kata sucks!

I found, that build like SoG SoG SoG DG EE SoB SoB SoB Fin Fin Whz Whz (if you ever reach Whizkid) is much more convenient
Cacodemon 2nd Leutenant
medals: 8/40
specials: 30/44
badges: 13:8:3:0:0

ZhangC1459

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: November 17, 2010, 12:50:50 am »

For all of you AoMc lovers:
Gun Kata sucks!

I found, that build like SoG SoG SoG DG EE SoB SoB SoB Fin Fin Whz Whz (if you ever reach Whizkid) is much more convenient
Lol I only tried Gun Kata because apparently it's the highest-damage AoMr (NOT AoMC, that's a shittier challenge) build.  Eagle Eye up to Intuition might be nice too since you can "blindfire" at where you know the monsters are, and whizkid would be nice if you came upon something you wanted to mod up more than once...

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: November 17, 2010, 01:21:33 am »

Eh. I much prefer skipping Gun Kata and just buffing up the damage on the pistols as much as possible. Once you can knock things back you basically have a shotgun with better damage than a chaingun.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

ZhangC1459

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: November 17, 2010, 01:35:32 am »

Eh. I much prefer skipping Gun Kata and just buffing up the damage on the pistols as much as possible. Once you can knock things back you basically have a shotgun with better damage than a chaingun.
I only find Gun Kata useful because with power-modded pistols and a Max-damage pistol build (which does in fact include Gun kata, but differs from the last build I used mostly due to the fact that I never got far enough to get to Finesse):
KataMax(SoaGx3+DR+HR2+DM)+Fin(x2)+SoaB(x3), I never have to reload.  If it's a high-HP target such as Barons or whatnot, they're always surrounded by things I can take out with my last pair of shots such as former human/sergeant/captain or lost souls or something, which basically instantly reloads my guns.  Hence GK is useful in that respect as i can unload five shots on a baron that'll knock it out of LoS, snipe an imp or something to instant reload, and repeat till they're dead

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: November 17, 2010, 07:47:48 am »

A gameplay question , what is the best strategy in the start of the Hellgate level to avoid losing lots of life and armor to the Lost Souls before facing the cacodemons and bruiser brothers ?

For the Cacodemons and Bruiser Brothers, i don't have a problem, but the swarm of lost souls that appear when you are in the middle of the corridor when the walls disappear is the problem as lots of health and armor will go away before you have killed every of the lost souls.
Even if it should not kill the character, that's a heavy cost and force you to waste some medic kit.

I tried :
-press TAB to run back, while it allows to get back into the starting room and so limit the amount of way the lost souls can attack, you'll get hit several time as lost souls are faster than you anyways.
-Not moving and shooting at the Lost Souls around you, destroy them more quickly (especially with shotgun) but you will be hit more than if you run away, as the lost souls will be all over you attacking from every direction
-Using the rocket launcher and shooting the walls and hoping the blast will kill the lost souls behind.
This one so far has been the most effective for your health and armor, as if the blast do not kill a lost soul, it will come alone from the hole, allowing you to shoot it before it can reach you.

The rocket launcher trick seems to work the most, but it depend on your luck in finding enough rockets (and a rocket launcher of course) so you're not naked to face the Cacodemons/Bruiser Brothers next (Rocket Launcher are so extremely usefull against them).

Any of you has a better approach to spare your medic kit and your rockets ?

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: November 17, 2010, 08:23:20 am »

I just run for one side or the other. If I see the lost souls in a good position I might use the shotgun, but usually the cacodemons/higher take out the lost souls before they are a huge issue. And you WILL lose a lot of health on that stage.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 102