Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 102

Author Topic: DoomRL 0.9.9.6 out, GRAPHIC TILES  (Read 159147 times)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: DoomRL: Hell just froze over
« Reply #1080 on: October 16, 2010, 02:26:05 pm »

So I've been playing this, and nearly won of my 7th game. However, I failed to pay attention and died to a cocodemon and two mancubi on floor 23. Which I probably could've flattened.
Cocodemon, you say?

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: October 16, 2010, 02:32:21 pm »

That would be the awesomest candy ever...
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: October 16, 2010, 10:43:39 pm »

Oh my god, you guys won't believe how close I was to death in the City of Skulls, this is on Hey Not Too Rough. I was nearly out of power cells (enough for one BFG shot plus 23 points, which was one of the main reasons why I went to the city), only had one shot in my rocket launcher (which was another reason why I went to the city) that I didn't use in the fight, and I was forced to use a normal shot gun. I had plenty of healthpacks, one phase device, and I pulled the lever.

First wave I fired my shotgun a few times right before they swarmed me. When they surrounded me, I fired the BFG. That wiped out the nearest guys.

Next I had to deal with the guys on the left. They took many shotgun shots, many healthpacks, my phase device and even my red armor before I put them down.

Finally, I dealt with the guys on the right. They were less of a problem and they died easily.

I'm out of ammo for the shotgun JUST as I kill all the enemies, I only have 23 power cells left, I lost one of my red armors, I'm out of large healthpacks, and I used up my phase device.

Wow that was a close call. Now time to reap the rewards. :D
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: October 16, 2010, 10:59:59 pm »

A double shotgun works wonderfully there as well. Although they are Lost Souls, so it isn't enough to make it any less crappy seeming of a weapon to me.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: October 16, 2010, 11:12:26 pm »

WELP, REVENANTS + 1 ARCH-VILE + 1 F-U BARRON OF HELL = 1 dead Tarran.

Goddamn Arch-vile, I didn't even know he was there for a while while I was killing and being severely hurt by Revenants. I had very little health left (like, 4 health) after killing them all with a BFG with no healthpacks and a damn single Barron of hell fired one shot at me while I was running for the invincibility and other healing power-ups. ::)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 01:39:11 am by Tarran »
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: October 16, 2010, 11:17:48 pm »

I don't fight arch-viles, I run from arch-viles.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: October 17, 2010, 01:26:30 am »

Remember this.

Arch-Viles>Revenants>Mancubi>Barons Of Hell> Rest.

Arch-Viles are just plain nasty.

Revenants will always hit. Did I mention that they use rocket launchers?

Mancubi will destroy the entire level, leaving you open to fire from other things.

Barons are strong enough to pose an issue to people without a BFG.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 02:02:51 am by Medicine Man »

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: October 17, 2010, 01:53:37 am »

Yeah, I knew that, I just didn't know by how much they were better. I mean, seriously, I didn't expect them to take two rounds of the BFG with a bunch of other enemies around to add onto the damage before dieing.

Anyway, I'll list a list of mistakes I made, just for the lulz/to help newbies out by showing what mistakes not to make.
1: I couldn't get to the health packs on the first floor before the former humans.
2: I got weighed down by all the mod packs, unused rocket and power cells I had that I didn't have a use for/didn't want to use on crappy stuff.
3: I abandoned my combat shotgun thinking my plasma rifle and rocket launcher would be enough (I was kinda low on space).
4: I nearly died at The Wall due to some poor mistakes (like not using my rocket launcher a whole lot and instead using a plasma rifle most of the time).
6: I was distracted at the Hellgate, fumbled into the first wave of demons, I had my plasma rifle out instead of my missile launcher, and I nearly died.
7: I massively underestimated the amount of ammo the missile launcher and plasma rifle chew up, forcing me to go to the City of Skulls.
8: I didn't notice a Arch-vile was reviving Revenants out of my sight.
9: I underestimated the Arch-vile by a lot.
10: I didn't stay away from the wall while trying to run past the Barron of Hell.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 01:55:23 am by Tarran »

Strange guy

• Bay Watcher
  • Strangely normal
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #1088 on: October 17, 2010, 06:41:40 am »

Here's a tip- never ever pull the lever in the City of Skulls. Just use your rocket launcher to destroy the walls and fight them one block at a time. You won't gain as much rocket ammo, but if you're careful you can kill some of the monsters with the wall destroying shots and avoid damaging the ammo (checking the doomrl wiki it appears avoid destroying the loot is harder than I thought, but still not that hard). I suppose if you really need rockets or have none it might be worth risking pulling the lever, but it generally isn't.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: October 17, 2010, 01:45:19 pm »

Spoiler: Newest run. (click to show/hide)

Welp, time to go at it again. Hopefully I won't fail as much as I did this time. :P

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: October 17, 2010, 02:20:33 pm »

If you have a shotgun you can take the wall without taking any damage. You basically open a hole at either the top or bottom and park yourself right around a corner. Cornershoot any bastard that appears and use the wait for foes to appear command(Basically select Run and for direction select staying in place, period I think) for more bastards to show up. Also one of the few situations where I found the Double Shotty useful.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: October 17, 2010, 03:29:31 pm »

Oh my god did I really just beat the cyber demon? YES I DID!

I admit, I was a little cheap by pillar-dancing, but then again how else could I possibly beat him with pistols, little to no armor, and very little large health packs?

To tell you the truth, I stumbled upon Mr. Cyber by accident while running away from other tough enemies from the level above.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: October 17, 2010, 03:38:35 pm »

Cheap? Said pillar-dancing is essentially the only way to beat him without just standing in front of him and tanking his fire or shooting at him outside of your sight range. In fact, it's a cornerstone of the entire game.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: October 18, 2010, 03:24:10 pm »

I did it again with an Ammo Chain build with a highly modified plasma rifle. The Cyber Demon was ridiculously easy, I didn't even have to pillar dance. Too bad I didn't find a Thermonuclear Bomb and invincibility, I think I could've gone all the way.

Well, I guess it's time to start going on harder difficulties eh?

ED: And another one. Not a serious one, but more of a medal-earning one (since I want to try out Ao100). I succeeded in earning the medals, and even made it all the way to the Cyber Demon. Kind of a shame that I didn't have any ammo remaining.

ED2: And because I like spamming the thread with mortems but not posts, another edit.
This is my first Ao100 run, the RNG was quite nice, as it showered me with 'packs, phase devices and exotics. None of them were really built for my build, though. I was going strong until I got ambushed by a frickton of enemies and used a homing phase device, which popped me right smack dab into them, due to the stairs being right in the middle of them. I'm kinda insulted that a sergeant got the kill shot.

Here's a list of all exotics and uniques I remember finding/seeing/picking up.

Okay, I'm done with editing. Won't post/edit again until I get something really incredible.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 10:58:37 pm by Tarran »

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: October 19, 2010, 04:39:10 am »

Back on this like Doomguy on a Super Shotgun.
It seems a bit odd, but I've never managed to finish a standard game in the newest version despite having won AoMr and AoB on UV and HMP; respectively.

What the hell am I doing wrong?

Edit:
RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAEEEEEEEEEEEG.

Here I was kicking ass with my firestormed double shotgun. Oh look, a supercharge next to me when I first enter the room; I should save it in case I need it. Oh crap, 2 arachnotrons, a revenant, a mancubus, and an archvile in the next room. Good thing I have that supercharge back there in case I need it. So I finish them off and run back for it.

And then the game crashes.

Where does it dump me? WHERE DOES IT DUMP ME? IF YOU GUESSED A SPIDER CAVE SURROUNDED BY 4 ARACHNOTRONS THEN YES YOU GOT IT.

So I use my phase device, OH GOOD JOB TELEPORTING ME TWO SPACES FROM WHERE I STARTED YOU PIECE OF JUNK.

I end up using all my medkits and most of my armor reaching the exit, what's next? IF YOU GUESSED 2 MANCUBI ON ONE SIDE AND 3 ARACHNOTRONS ON THE OTHER BOTH OF WHICH ARE BEING RESURRECTED THEN YOU'VE GOT TWO FOR TWO.

I just grit my teeth, put on my last piece of armor, and run like a nutcase to the next room.

Oh look, a megasphere, maybe my luck is changing.

Not. I get killed by a slew of mancubi, no less than 3 archviles, and a whole bunch of former commandos, with my way back being blocked by an exploding napalm barrel.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 10:21:21 am by Blaze »
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 102