Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 102

Author Topic: DoomRL 0.9.9.6 out, GRAPHIC TILES  (Read 159175 times)

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DoomRL AKA Josh owns this game
« Reply #1005 on: April 07, 2010, 01:51:49 pm »

Also, it bumps your min damage by a point. More min damage is always good, since you will always deal at least that much.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: April 07, 2010, 05:28:03 pm »

The bigger the number on the left, the better.  Always.  (reasonably frequently, at least. Give me a bone here)
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: April 07, 2010, 06:07:04 pm »

The bigger the number on the left, the better.  Always.  (reasonably frequently, at least. Give me a bone here)

It's just a multiplicative effect, so, unfortunately, we still have to do math.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: April 07, 2010, 06:34:25 pm »

The best max damage can be gained by trying to get the numbers as close together as possible. 5d5 for example, has a greater max roll than 4d6 or 6d4. A larger first number on the other hand means more reliable damage.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: April 07, 2010, 06:58:34 pm »

The best max damage can be gained by trying to get the numbers as close together as possible. 5d5 for example, has a greater max roll than 4d6 or 6d4. A larger first number on the other hand means more reliable damage.
Which you just KNOW will save your rear end so many times you can't even recognize them all. Need to do some analysis on that over somewhere like a thousand rolls.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned
« Reply #1010 on: April 07, 2010, 07:16:41 pm »

I'm not sure if Finnesse works for melee weapons, but extra speed on a chainsaw seems like a better option, because it stretches out your berserk more. It would be good if you could stack knives for throwing.
« Reply #1011 on: April 07, 2010, 08:49:52 pm »

AAAAARGH!
Angel of Shotgunnery died against the cyberdemon because the pahse device moved me exactly 2 squares. I lost an assault shotty in the mortuary, and came so close.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: April 08, 2010, 01:48:53 pm »

The reason behind this is simple: a chainsaw is a 4d6 weapon, with a maximum damage of 24. Putting a power mod on it makes it a 4d7 weapon, making it's maximum damage 28. However, if you put a bulk mod it on, it becomes a 5d6 weapon, with a max damage of 30.

To anyone with even the faintest grasp of statistics, this is not a compelling argument.  You probably shouldn't base your decisions on extremes (e.g. maximum damage).  For damage rolls in games, assuming there's no threshold to overcome (e.g. you must deal at least 6 damage to have any effect;  DR 5/- in D&D 3E/4E is a good example), it's better to consider the average.

In this case, 5d6 (avg 17.5) is superior to 4d7 (avg 16), ceteris paribus.  It's also more consistent (more dice), so you're less likely to roll the minimum thirty times in a row.  :P

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: April 08, 2010, 01:51:51 pm »

So I'm still right, but for reasons I didn't explain?

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: April 08, 2010, 01:58:21 pm »

So I'm still right, but for reasons I didn't explain?

Pretty much.  Right answer, "wrong" reason.  :P

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: April 09, 2010, 11:41:57 am »

Oh hey, did you guys know that Kornel, the creator of Doomrl, is requesting beta testers for another roguelike he's making? AliensRL:

http://forum.chaosforge.org/index.php/topic,3001.0.html

I just thought I'd tell you guys.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: April 09, 2010, 01:50:36 pm »

I've already played AliensRL, you mean he's updating it?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: April 09, 2010, 03:23:34 pm »

Yeah, that's what it says in the post. The next beta of AliensRL is coming up.

Cerej

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: April 09, 2010, 03:26:24 pm »

Note that picking melee weapons based on greater max damage would have been a valid strategy even if they didn't have better average damage as well.  A large number of monsters in DoomRL have armor, and it's suspected (but not proven) that greater damage per hit causes a higher chance of going berserk.
« Reply #1019 on: April 10, 2010, 09:12:59 am »

From the wiki
Effect: A successful melee hit grants a chance of going berserk. The chance is 5 + (2 * damage done / 5)%, but only applies if you do at least 9 damage and there is at least one monster remaining visible. When the check is passed, 20 turns are added to the berserk counter, regardless of difficulty level.
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 102