Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 102

Author Topic: DoomRL 0.9.9.6 out, GRAPHIC TILES  (Read 158859 times)

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DoomRL
« Reply #90 on: January 01, 2009, 07:40:32 pm »

Damn, just did an Angel of Markmanship challenge on Medium difficuly, and I got farther than my one easy difficuly character (easy is no challenge).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The death happened after I pulled a lever, getting surrounded by a Cacodemon, Archvile, Mancubus and Baron of Hell. Took them all down except the Baron, but i was doomed anyway, slowly running out of ammo.

Even worse, in that game I found the missile launcher, the railgun, and the BFG 9000 (twice!) and not a single artifact pistol or armor. The RNG hates me, as thats the first time I've seen ANY of those weapons.
Quote from: Ampersand
Also, Xom finds people that chug unidentified fluids pleasing.
Quote from: Servant Corps
Ignorance of magic does not give scientists the power to resist fireballs.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 01, 2009, 08:07:41 pm »

I just did a AoMr (or whatever it's called)  on Ultra-Violence.

It was HARD.

I do not suspect to get that far again, but it was AWESOME!!

My weak little self killed alot of thing, but you have to run from fights alot.

Remorable Moments:

1) Ran into a Hell Knight on level 3 or 4.  I RAN.

2) Pulled a lever releasing alot of humans, a demon, two Hell Knights, and a Baron of Hell.  I RAN.

3) Level 7 I spawned in a little room with a door and the stairs going downwards.  I went, "Hey mine as well check this place out first."  I opened the door..........I RAN.   

4) Level 9, I went about normally, killed a Reveant.  Yaddha Yaddha, I opened a door.......I RAN!!   This time I didn't make it.   :(

CLOSING STATEMENT:   I CAN'T WAIT UNTIL I GET NIGHTMARE!

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 01, 2009, 08:13:27 pm »

Also does anyone know the specific requirements to get the "He was killed by something..." message in the Mortem?

The only time I got was when (with a quite good character) facing an imp that got off a single fireball, which missed and hit a barrel instead. The resulting chain reaction blew me to kingdom come (about -20 hp, with a lot of health pre-explosion). I was confused when I got the "he was killed by something..." message, cause normally when something sets off a barrel and kills me, it gets counted as the killer (found that out with a sergeant).

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 01, 2009, 08:17:20 pm »

I have no idea. 

I think it has to do with late-game *spoiler*.

I might not be right though.  Hmmmm....

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 01, 2009, 08:36:06 pm »

I think if you are killed by something that is out of your viewable area, you get this. Can't think of an actual exapmle atm.
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 01, 2009, 09:51:20 pm »

That wasn't it, as I could see the imp, and the barrels. The only other thing that comes to mind is if your death is caused by a dead creature, as the imp died one explosion before me.

On a side note, whats your most idiotic death? Mine was when I found the vaults, but was stymied on how to get into any of them. In the end I used a phase device, but then I was trapped inside the vault (I only had the one). In the end I just used a handy nuke i happened to have with me :)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 01, 2009, 09:58:53 pm »

I just out smarted a Baron of Hell in a previous Angel of Marksman and was making my way to the down stairs when I stepped on a tile of lava and I had 6% health.   :P

I was so far too.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 01, 2009, 10:00:10 pm »

My most idiotic death: I pressed buttons too fast to notice that my LOS to the enemy was blocked by a barrel.

Skynet 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • Rogue AI
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 01, 2009, 10:47:34 pm »

Angel of Marksmanship is actually a really easy challenge, I was able to beat it with no problems. 3 ranks in Son of a Gun, 1 in Dualgunner, and some in Eagle Eye and Finesse, and dual pistols become a viable weapon. The only downside to the challenge is that you can't temporarily use a rocket launcher to get to the rewards in The Wall, Halls of Carnage, and The Vaults, unless you somehow find the Anti-Freak Jackal.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 01, 2009, 10:52:23 pm »

I was doing well. Then, on level eighteen of my first play through, after conquering the wall, finding the Assault Shotgun, I died when I shot at an imp that happened to have a barrel behind it, and I was just within the blast radius, with just enough health to not survive.

Almost lost it all when I pulled a lever and the rooms flooded with lava, which was the most dwarven moment of the game for me, but I had a homing phase device. Chainguns remind me of crossbows.
!!&!!

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 01, 2009, 11:29:23 pm »

Just did angel of marksmanship on Ultra violent. Not actually that bad, and even when faced with the challenges Toony-Man faced, I rarely ran. Retreat to a better tactical position ala phase device, but never run. However the RNG was even further against me, with nothing more than green armor by level 8, and eventually a missile toting revenant with cannon-fodder buddies took me down.

Also I find that the Hell's Arena is perfectly manageable as an AoMr, even in Ultra-Violence, as long as it spawns on lvl 3 (enough time to get, or get close to, Dualgunner) and you ditch before the final round (not necessary in Medium difficulty). Good way to get lots of experience!

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 02, 2009, 01:16:57 am »

I take back what I said before. The most dwarven moment has to be when you get the chainsaw. You'll see eventually.
!!&!!

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 02, 2009, 01:36:45 am »

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!!!

Skynet 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • Rogue AI
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 02, 2009, 02:38:46 am »

The exact message is: BLOOD! BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! You switch to the weapon upon pickup, and get the effect of a berserk pack.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 02, 2009, 10:36:31 am »

On a side note, whats your most idiotic death?

Mine was the last AoM I did. I was cruising along smoothly down on level 16. I'd just gotten up to Whizkid, and was starting to scheme over all the nifty junk I was going to glue onto my pistols when I found the Cathedral. Now, I'm a reasonable sort, so I knew I had no place there. Unfortunately, I'm also a stylish sort. Sooooo... I wanted to place my nuke right next to the door rather than right next to the stairs. I think I was still two steps from the stairs 10 seconds later...
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 102