Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 102

Author Topic: DoomRL 0.9.9.6 out, GRAPHIC TILES  (Read 159216 times)

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
Re: DoomRL AKA Josh owns this game
« Reply #885 on: January 08, 2010, 04:55:02 pm »

He did?

Maybe he did it out of spite. Or, you know. To complete the set?
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: January 08, 2010, 04:55:50 pm »

FOUR RED ARMORS, 5 SUPERCHARGES, AND AN ADVANCED BFG. GONE.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: January 08, 2010, 04:56:43 pm »

Definitely spite, then.

He did manage to kill Cybie. Maybe he didn't think he'd need them?
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: January 08, 2010, 05:11:30 pm »

Yeah I was full on resources at the time

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: January 08, 2010, 05:15:53 pm »

Ok, I surrender. Someone please link me a competent playthrough, or at least tutorial about wall-tricking and shotty-scouting on youtube, as I've died 4 times in a row on hell's arena after, as I posted earlier, getting to Cybie on my second ever not too rough game.

I honestly feel as if studying about inflation and aggregate supply/demand has drained the practical sections of my brain, leaving me an empty husk, an economy-spewing university-zombie.
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: January 08, 2010, 05:18:28 pm »

Video games are not practical.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: January 08, 2010, 05:20:49 pm »

Practical as in capable of understanding simple instructions rather than memorising entire passages from the monstrous textbook on Macroeconomics :) Seriously, it's an a4 500 page collosus weighing more than half the weights in the local gym, I could repel an entire siege by myself by just blocking the doorway with it.
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: January 08, 2010, 05:28:33 pm »

There has been a link to a guide several times recently.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: January 08, 2010, 05:30:08 pm »

Yeah, it seems all bets are off on Hells Arena. Cacodemons don't seem interested in you after shooting them and ducking behind a pillar, so I just find a pillar close enough to the center that I can shoot from it but not close enough to see the general center monster pile and just go crazy on whatever peeks my way. Then once I'm sure they are all in a huddle, I hit the center with a combat shotgun from beyond my vision range. Only way I ever did that place without getting hit. And then I was just lucky because the monsters didn't decide to shoot.

Also, Max Carnage is amazing to play through. Just get the ability to see monsters before they see you and they are dead.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: January 08, 2010, 05:32:53 pm »

Just DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA, apparently.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: January 08, 2010, 05:35:38 pm »

Of course. You just need to make sure they do not DAKKA you.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: January 08, 2010, 05:36:39 pm »

Commando instantkill?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: January 08, 2010, 05:53:40 pm »

Hell's arena is awesome if you combine the wall trick with the Waiting Trick, which is where you use the "WAIT" command and let monsters come to you while you're in your ideal wall-tricking position. You can wait by pressing , (run) and then "." on you numpad. This'll make you wait 20 turns, or until you see a monster.

Optimally, I've gone into the INI, a file right next to the main one, and changed my wait command to instead wait for 2000 turns, which is long enough to remove the possibility of RNG unluckiness. Also, remember, to get the most out of the waiting trick, remember that monsters tend to be attracted to the center of the level, and will gravitate there if there's nothing blocking them. With this info, you can gather that an optimal wall-tricking spot is one that gives you a good vantage of the center of the level. It's all touch and feel though, so just get more experienced, then follow gut extinct.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: January 08, 2010, 06:46:26 pm »

In retrospect, setting the wait time to just 100 would be better. Thus you can make better decisions as to what to do next instead of spending thousands of turns in spots that monsters don't go to. If they don't move in that spot in 300 turns then they likely will never go there. Either by never leaving that general area or gravitating away from you.

Edit: Also, Intuition level 2 breaks AoMC. It is a broken game now. I'll probably play Ultraviolence as this, as HMP is a cakewalk. Hard monsters are injured offscreen and killed on screen, and the only real difference that matters is more ammo.
 Sweet.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 06:49:01 pm by Duke 2.0 »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: January 08, 2010, 06:48:17 pm »

You're not going to starve to death Duke, you can wait for as long as necessary! Do you NOT SEE my turn count in the hundred of thousands?!
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 102